Someone respond fast....VW GTI vs. WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Someone respond fast....VW GTI vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm supposed to race a Volkswagen GTI tonight for some cash. I have a stock WRX plus a K&N (like ...

Someone respond fast....VW GTI vs. WRX

I'm supposed to race a Volkswagen GTI tonight for some cash. I have a stock WRX plus a K&N (like that'll make a difference) and this guy wont tell me what he's got under the hood. We looked in his car and couldn't see anything performance (like a boost controller)...he does have an aftermarket exhaust though. Am I gonna mop the floor with him or should I not bet. It's only for about $30.
    Last edited by The HomeliteXL; 08-26-2002 at 03:30 PM.
    <--GRAVEYARD SHIFT-->

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If he is stock no issue you will win. If he has a chip+ exhaust then he is sitting on ~215hp, ~245ft-lb torque. If he has a KO4 (basic turbo upgrade with the same housing as a KO3) then he could have ~240hp/~250ft-lb. If he has a big turbo kit like APR SIII, then he can turn 12's and you have no chance.

If the kid is unwilling to show you his engine bay, and if he is reasonably intelligent, he will know a WRX is tough car for his GTI to beat, which suggests to me he has some significant power adder, or is hoping you don't know how to drive

Regardless of the above, in a launch from a light AWD would make the difference.

Cheers
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

If you believe VW drivers, a chip alone is good for low 14s which would be more than a good race against an essentially stock WRX.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

That's not a lot of $$, so go for it. Keep in mind, there are AWESOME upgrade kits for th 1.8T and the VR6. If he spent a lot of $$$, he'll beat you. Just nail the launch (pump up your tires) and you should have a good shot!

-Jim

Kick his ass adam. Do it for team SSK (spoiled suburban kids) and G-force!

- M a t t -
    1997 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
    It's Blurple and Slow.
    111*106*15979
    http://www.10-94.net/misc/sig.jpg
    The 10/94 Forum

str
    If he's stock you will take him by a few cars but my guess is if he is betting money he has some mods. Go get a MBC and bet him $100. LOL
    2004 Black Forester XT

I think that is funny/immature that he won't let you see under the hood of his car, but o well. Do you know anything about him? As in does he modify his VW... Well whatever good luck in the race and post how you did.

If you can, try to limit it to 80-90mph max. Your best/safest bet is keeping the speeds lower to use full advantage of your launch, the faster you go, the more uncertain it is since you don't know what he's packing..
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

Yo

Use your launch however do the FREE factory boost mod before the race. Reroute the intake track to eliminate the factory boost controller ( FBC ). You'll be running higher boost and shouldn't have any problems. Also use your LAUNCH. I haven't found anything that can keep up w/ use during a launch next to a 2001+ M3.
    Last edited by chuglobal; 08-27-2002 at 07:47 AM.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

I can't believe you would race a guy who won't tell you what he has. Why would you race him under those terms. Wait till you do some mods and then come back and don't tell him you did mods. The VW guy is being a jackass and I would be suspicious.
    ----------------------------------------
    '02 Blue Sportwagon
    No mods - yet
    Starting with the rear sway bar and anti-lift kit...one day....I have faith

put a grapefruit in his muffler and u will win for sure.

Re: Yo

Originally posted by chuglobal
    Use your launch however do the FREE factory boost mod before the race. Reroute the intake track to eliminate the factory boost controller ( FBC ). You'll be running higher boost and shouldn't have any problems. Also use your LAUNCH. I haven't found anything that can keep up w/ use during a launch next to a 2001+ M3.
    This is actually a neato QUICK FIX for boost control. Simply leave in the T and disconnect the solenoid. I wouldn't use it for more than this ONE RACE, though.

-Jim

Hehe ...

The VW guy wants to play games ... we can play games too. The FREE BOOST Mod is PIMP ... I never had any problems running w/ it before I got the MBC.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Re: Hehe ...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    The VW guy wants to play games ... we can play games too. The FREE BOOST Mod is PIMP ... I never had any problems running w/ it before I got the MBC.
    Um...sorry to threadjack but if its free, i might as well hear about it . It sound cool but you and plat somewhat lost me on the technical aspect. Can you elaborate? And some pics would be nice if its not too much trouble. Thanks

If I were you I would have Turboxs send you their high performance boost controller over night mail. Hook it up run about 16.5 psi boost and you will be looking much better. This mod alone can shave a 1/2 second off your times. Thats huge.

Secondly go from a dead stop with a 5k launch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast