Porsche Carrera

This is a discussion on Porsche Carrera within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I decided not to post this at first because I thought the guy was just *****ing with me. I was ...

Porsche Carrera

I decided not to post this at first because I thought the guy was just *****ing with me. I was on my way home and I saw a Green Porsche rounding the corner the other way. it had "Carrera" on the back of it. I decided that I didnt' have anyhting better to do so i made a quick turn around and went after him. It took a few minutes of catching up through traffic and stuff but eventually I got behind him just as he was getting onto the free way. I wanted to race him just to see how bad a porsche could be me at this point. Well i finally got up beside him on the interstate and waved and pointed, as to suggest a race, and he waved back and shot himself up around the car in front of him and started speeding away. I was totally ready for this and was right on his tail. Luckily there was a good clearing on the road ahead to we got up to pretty good speed but once it came down to an all out stright pull, I was actually pulling on him. We were at about 120 at that point so i knew he was racing in in some form or fashion and I look over and he did have a suprised look on his face. After I was ahead by about 3 ar lengths i start slowign down to let him catch up to try him again. once again he gets passed me but i slowly pull ahead. Thsi time he smiled and waved and from that oint we just kind of messed around with eachother dipping around. He finally exited and i saw where the extra cost of that porsche went as he whipped around the loop faster than I've actually ever seen a car take a turn in real life. Two days later I came accross him and he had me pull over to talk. He was imporessed and asked me what I had done to mycar. He aske dme how much power I was pushing, I told him around 285 and told me he was only putting out like 260. I suprised at this but still glad to beat a car that costs three tiems as much as mine. He told me he has a 500 hp porche that he track races also. He told me he'd have to come find me one day in that. He was a cool old dude.
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice Kill, It's great to have a race with people that are cool.
    what sort of porche was it? sounds like it was a non-turbo by the power output.

Originally posted by wombat
    Nice Kill, It's great to have a race with people that are cool.
    what sort of porche was it? sounds like it was a non-turbo by the power output.
    Yeah, sounds like you had a good time. I can tell you it wasn't a new 911 AWD Turbo.

A friend of a friend brought his out to the track not long ago. The only thing he had done to it was an exhaust and k/n air filter. The first two passes he pulled 12.3's. And get this, I think it was like his second time to the dragstrip EVER. I'm sure with practice he could've gone 12.0 flat.

I'm not sure what a reg Carerra is capable of.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Thumbs up

Nice job, polkaband. I enjoyed your story.

I did a novice track day recently where there were two older 911's. All three of us in un-modded WRX's were pumped up about lapping them in every session. Though in all fairness to Porsche, other things being equal, it's all about the relative aggression of the drivers at that level. Still fun to beat a performance icon though.

I don't think the WRX driver need fear an older 911. But over the years, the Porsche engineers have continued to refine the car. A normally aspirated Carrera now makes 320 crank hp I think, not to mention that a Carrera 4 negates the AWD advantage - so unless you are heavily modded - the Porsche will spank the Subaru. As well it should at 3X the price !

One of my inlaws is a Porsche nut and he does track days with it. He has an '82 or '83 faux turbo model - it's got the flared fenders, wider wheels, etc. but is normally aspirated. He's making 217 hp., stock. I drove it once - it didn't feel hugely fast, but the handling was tight, brakes were stellar. The main impression I got was that the controls were heavy to operate - steering, brake and clutch effort. My Celica felt toylike when I got back into it.

We have a friendly rivalry going in cars and mountain biking - he loves talking trash. I look forward to meeting this car on the track in my WRX.
    Old, but not slow.

I think that depends on which year of carerra you raced, if it was the recent one.. it is either 300 or 320hp. I don't think you could have beaten those. You might have a chance with some of the late 80's model tho.

str
    wow. nice job keeping up with him from a roll. a 911, turbo or not is a fast car, especially from a roll.
    2004 Black Forester XT