2 hour drive = ferrari + cobra + rev limit (bit long)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2 hour drive = ferrari + cobra + rev limit (bit long) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm driving back to my apartment after a nice vacation, got the bike up the the yakima rack, and ...

2 hour drive = ferrari + cobra + rev limit (bit long)

So I'm driving back to my apartment after a nice vacation, got the bike up the the yakima rack, and i pull in to gas up. As I just about finish pumping the WRX with that magic 93 octane, a older yellow ferrari pulls up. The guy gets out and starts to fuel it up. So I look into the cockpit and see no shifter boot, so i ask if its an automatic (jokingly, of course). He cracks a big smile and says no. So I spend a few minutes just chatting about his ferrari (a 1996 5 speed). As I'm about to get into the car he asks how i like my ride. Surprised to answer he continues, "I hear those WRX's are pretty quick." So I killed a few more minutes discussing the world rally going on and how the WRX comes from the Subie WRC. All in all it was cool to see that even those who can manage a dream car can still keep with the current car trends.

As im driving back on the NJ turnpike, the truck lane im in (always faster, take note) merged with the car lane, and one of those new mustang cobras (nice engraved COBRA on the rear bumper) merges in front of me. He begins to haul, so i decide to keep up. I was going in 4th and had some decent rpms to begin with, I can only assume he was pulling hard too (from the way he drove later). From about 55 (beginning of merge) to about 100mph (when i decided to cut loose, signified by me waving), I was able to stay right behind him (he was in my lane). At 100mph i slowed it down and he kept pulling, so I can only assume that since he didnt gain an inch (total serious here), the WRX isnt too far behind a COBRA. After he pulled away (hey! i had a bike on the car, and want to keep my cheap insurance policy), He kept going about 95mph till i finally caught up before a toll plaza. I was right next to him with my window down trying to compliment him on his nice ride and the doofus refused to even acknowledge that I was giving him the thumbs up and screaming "Those things fly!". Guess he was a bit let down that american muscle wasn't cutting it to a rally proven turbo.

To make things even crazier that trip, I was pulling out of a toll plaza and found myself getting caught between an audi (assumed A4) and a VW (jetta i think). I didnt really get a close look at the cars seeing as they were squeezing me from getting a lane. As im pulling real hard now (in 2nd or 3rd gear), Im now accelerating to prevent a possible accident. Just as I was exactly between them, the engine cut and the car almost seemed like it died. I pull into the lane, slow down, and look to see if I had a CEL. I didn't, so i assume i didnt overboost and get fuel cut. So I can only wonder if I actually hit the rev limiter since i wasnt really paying attention to the Tach seeing as i was trying not to get creamed. Has anyone hit rev limit before, and if so how can you describe it?

Just a fun 2 hour drive and a story to tell. Enjoy.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

O thats sounds like a fun drive u had there. But i dont know anything about the Rev Limiter.....Sorry no help here. Just like the story
    Future Wrx Owner
    89 Bronco II (R.I.P.)
    68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

You hit the rev limiter. A fuel cut or overboost would have triggered a CEL. The rev limiter is there to protect you, its not gonna kill you hitting it once or twice (or several time in a 40 sec autox run...hehe).

When you hit the rev limiter, it will just feel like the car stopped accelerating. A bit of a "bump" is probably want you'll feel, since you go from hard accel to no acceleration very quickly.

Sounds like fun. I saw a 512TR the other day, I love Ferraris.
    Last edited by thechickencow; 08-25-2002 at 06:56 PM.

Originally posted by thechickencow
    You hit the rev limiter. A fuel cut or overboost would have triggered a CEL. The rev limiter is there to protect you, its not gonna kill you hitting it once or twice (or several time in a 40 sec autox run...hehe).

When you hit the rev limiter, it will just feel like the car stopped accelerating. A bit of a "bump" is probably want you'll feel, since you go from hard accel to no acceleration very quickly.

Sounds like fun. I saw a 512TR the other day, I love Ferraris.
    im be a bit safer from rev limit once i get this thing installed:
    http://www.t-sport.com/rev.html

-c
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

good, but not that good sorry

Alright, first off, don't try to use driving lingo (pulling hard) that doesn't exist. It just makes everyone laugh. Actually I take that back, feel free to be the humor of this web page. Now, no one is saying that the WRX is a bad car, because it isn't. In fact, its a fr*ckin sweet car and alot of car for the money. But its not a fr*ckin Cobra. I'm sure he didn't even think anything of you trailing him and was probably in 5th because who the hell stays in 4th at 55mph. If you wanna see how good your car is, ask someone with say a Camaro SS to have an off the line race and see how a "rally proven turbo" really competes. If you can actually manage to get past 2nd gear without stalling your car, you will see just how badly you would lose this race.
    2002 - 5 Speed - Blaze Yellow WRX
    Mods - K&N Air Filter, Samco Intercooler Hoses, Prodrive Axel Back, Joe P MBC@16 PSI, Rota Gold 17" Tarmac Wheels with Sumitomo HTR+ 225/45/17 Tires, Momo AirLeather Shifter

Re: good, but not that good sorry

Originally posted by wrxnfx2
    Alright, first off, don't try to use driving lingo (pulling hard) that doesn't exist. It just makes everyone laugh. Actually I take that back, feel free to be the humor of this web page. Now, no one is saying that the WRX is a bad car, because it isn't. In fact, its a fr*ckin sweet car and alot of car for the money. But its not a fr*ckin Cobra. I'm sure he didn't even think anything of you trailing him and was probably in 5th because who the hell stays in 4th at 55mph. If you wanna see how good your car is, ask someone with say a Camaro SS to have an off the line race and see how a "rally proven turbo" really competes. If you can actually manage to get past 2nd gear without stalling your car, you will see just how badly you would lose this race.
    lol damn, 6 posts and already making friends huh? j/k
    285whp, still pokey as hell, but It has a 6 speed so Its ok

Hey man, i just speak the truth
    Mods - K&N Air Filter, Samco Intercooler Hoses, Prodrive Axel Back, Joe P MBC@16 PSI, Rota Gold 17" Tarmac Wheels with Sumitomo HTR+ 225/45/17 Tires, Momo AirLeather Shifter

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by wrxnfx2
    Hey man, i just speak the truth
    Are you calling BS on him then?

And if you do just speak the truth, you could've been A LITTLE more pleasant about it...no need to tell him how badly he's going to lose the race and that he might stall his car...

Just my $0.02...
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

ok so i was in a bad mood at the time. but its just a pet peeve of mine that people get a nice car and then think they can take anything on the road. at least you're reasonable enough to know that a car with 227 hp isn't about to take a car with 335. its just a simple fact of life.

Everyone, dont mind this guy. He only seems to respond to posts in a negative manner. Obviously too worried about what other people are doing/saying to be concerned about his own life.

Hey man, feel free to not read anything in this forum as you get too bent outta shape. And by all means dont read it before taking a drive, wouldn't want you smacking up that nice WRX.

-c
    Last edited by fengshui; 09-01-2002 at 03:05 PM.

First of all, dont make ASSumptions on who you are dealing with. I'm definitely not too worried about what other people are doing/saying, it's just that I feel that I have to comment/flame when people make up stories to better themselves. Do you actually think that because you put one mod on your car, you think you can take anyone? Do you think your wrx is a better car than a 330ci? a Camaro SS? I bet you'll say your wrx is better than a that old ferrari. Just because other people made different choices than you, doesn't make your choices any better (or worse). Get outta the clouds for god's sake! Did you notice that you get all these CEL and overboost problems because of your unstable system under the hood? Sounds like a smart choice to me.

BTW. I know exactly who i am dealing with as the web isnt as annonymous as you believe it to be. So I suggest you either deal with the posts on this board, or stop reading them. I only tell it like it is, and I didnt say anything about a 330ci or Camaro SS, both of which can put alot of horsepower to the wheels in an instant. Also, why target me? There are plenty of tall tales on this board that you can call BS on. Any problem that you have is your own problem and shows a lack of happiness in your life, so I suggest you find some alternative than this message board. I dont make up stories to better myself because I could care less what people think, but obviously you do. Just drive your car and be happy, and leave other people to discuss what they want.

Lastly, I am calling BS on your 2002 Blaze Yellow WRX from PA. Lets see some pictures or proof that you own a yellow wrx with gold wheels and all the modifications you have listed. Because I seriously doubt that you do based upon my assumption of who this is.

The fact that you target me alone with your criticism gives you away, so you can stop lying to everyone on this board. I suggest abandoning your username here and creating another one since you have already proven yourself to be an @ss.

-c
    Last edited by fengshui; 09-03-2002 at 07:12 AM.

Sorry but I had to add one thing. You mentioned that the ferrari was a 1996 5 speed. In 1996 Ferrari built the 335, 355 spyder and 456gt which were all manuals. But the 456 was made with a 5 speed Auto and the 355F1 has a 5 speed F1 style paddle shifter system. Did you happen to notice if it was a two or four seater?
    2005 WRX STI Black/Gold

It was a two seater. I forget if he told me it was 1996 or 1997. but im pretty sure it was one of those years. Looked great in yellow with tan interior. I'd keep one in my garage, if I had one, and only take it out on pristine spring/summer/fall weekend days. Definitely wouldnt want to put a bike rack on it though.

-c

Your ASSumptions are wrong. Was it your "avid hacker" talents that led you to believe what you do? Here's a pic taken by a friend before I got my new rims.

BTW, in regards to another post seen HERE , how do you know that the guard at the gate talked to the guy for 4-5 minutes? Did you stop and wait and watch? And why would you want to anger a total stranger that works with you? You're making all the right choices now.

P.S. I definitely don't care what other people think, let alone you. I'm just happy knowing that my car is better than yours - lol

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.