VERY cool guy in a 1995 Z-28 w/ Ram air!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on VERY cool guy in a 1995 Z-28 w/ Ram air!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sounds like fun. Good race. My old 94z28 LTI ran low to mid 14s @ 98- 100 mph stock. The ...

Sounds like fun. Good race. My old 94z28 LTI ran low to mid 14s @ 98- 100 mph stock. The have a real good punch down low. They can get off the line pretty fast if they hook up. Not as much top end as the LS1s.

About the SS vs Z28 debate. They are 99.99% identical. The SS makes amost no additional HP.
    There is so little difference in an SS vs a standard Z28 it doesn't matter. I owned a heavily modded 94z28 and 99z28. I know those cars inside and out. Its totally up to the better driver. Both cars have nearly identical dyno numbers.
    All you have to do is spend $150 on a whisper lid or a Direct Flow lid for a standard Z28 and it will make as much or more HP than an SS.
    The SS does have some suspension upgrades but it is mostly an appearance upgrade, with a slightly better exhaust and raised airbox that does nothing. Most guys with an SS put an aftermarket exhaust and airbox(lid) on the car.
    HP upgrade- I don't think so. Who in their right mind would spend 4-5k for maybe 10hp at the most. Thats it. I've seen dozens of z28s dynoed. The SS makes very little if any additional HP.

In a race SS vs standard Z28 , The better driver will win everytime.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Sounds like fun. Good race. My old 94z28 LTI ran low to mid 14s @ 98- 100 mph stock. The have a real good punch down low. They can get off the line pretty fast if they hook up. Not as much top end as the LS1s.

About the SS vs Z28 debate. They are 99.99% identical. The SS makes amost no additional HP.
    There is so little difference in an SS vs a standard Z28 it doesn't matter. I owned a heavily modded 94z28 and 99z28. I know those cars inside and out. Its totally up to the better driver. Both cars have nearly identical dyno numbers.
    All you have to do is spend $150 on a whisper lid or a Direct Flow lid for a standard Z28 and it will make as much or more HP than an SS.
    The SS does have some suspension upgrades but it is mostly an appearance upgrade, with a slightly better exhaust and raised airbox that does nothing. Most guys with an SS put an aftermarket exhaust and airbox(lid) on the car.
    HP upgrade- I don't think so. Who in their right mind would spend 4-5k for maybe 10hp at the most. Thats it. I've seen dozens of z28s dynoed. The SS makes very little if any additional HP.

In a race SS vs standard Z28 , The better driver will win everytime.
    wow..good job, so what makes an SS the SS badging stickers anything???

I was with my friend when he raced a LS1 Z28 with lid and Flowmasters he lost by about 2-3cars from a 25MPH roll. Those things haul ass. My friend has a WRX with a VF30 and still got his ass handed to him.

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    wow..good job, so what makes an SS the SS badging stickers anything???
    The SS is a Z-28 option package: chrome wheels, nice rubber, different mufflers, ram air, badging, slightly different springs, and interior badging. I'd take a Z-28 or a TA over an SS or a WS6 anyday. Now the WU6 Firehawk is a different story. SLP ROCKS!

-Jim

Im a HUGE fan of the fbody...
    k the 95 Z-28 has a LT-1 factory rated to the flywheel of 275hp
    Its a few hundred lbs heavier than you guys, and a lightly modded WRX could (m6 or higher than stock TC a4) probably could keep up w/ the high 13s-low 14s the early-mid 90s Z's run
    now the LS1 powerplant is a completely different story. WS6s and SS's have been known to dyno, stock, at 315hp to teh rear wheels... thats INCREDIBLE. GM overrated the motor. The T/As and Z28s would also be difficult for you guys to keep up w/ unless your car is HIGHLY modified. These monsters run low 13s all day long, maybe lower... and the factory suped up ones, the SS and WS6s run 13.0s consistantly w/ the probability of being in the high 12s

however, a stock fbody would have to have MASSIVE suspension upgrades to handle the way a WRX handles on an AutoX course...
    the WRX was built to be a quick, agile car... the Fbody was meant to be pure straight ahead speed, however it handles great for a muscle car =)
    Last edited by fbodypride; 08-28-2002 at 09:33 AM.
    1993 - 3.4L V6 firebird w/ mods and
    many to come =)
    2001 - 3.2L Acura TL stock

Originally posted by BozzWRX
    I was with my friend when he raced a LS1 Z28 with lid and Flowmasters he lost by about 2-3cars from a 25MPH roll. Those things haul ass. My friend has a WRX with a VF30 and still got his ass handed to him.
    I have to ask why a 25mph roll. Thats not the best spot for a WRX. Either go from a dead stop or lower in 1st gear or slightly higher in 2nd gear. 25mph would put him very low in the rpms in 2nd gear. The split second it takes for the turbo to gain boost would easily put an LS1 a few cars up. They have instant power down low and up top. No turbo lag. Thats why its so important to go from a dead stop or high in a gear.

I have a stage 4 - vf30 swap and I ran dead even with an WS6 LS1 Trans AM from a 2nd gear roll to 100mph. I made sure I was on boost high in the rpm range when we floored it. From a dead stop it wasn't even close. I beat him by at least 3-4 cars or more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.