Ok, what going on here (2002 lightning)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ok, what going on here (2002 lightning) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, My boss at work has a lightning. We are always joking about racing but never really thought about it ...

Ok, what going on here (2002 lightning)

Ok,
    My boss at work has a lightning. We are always joking about racing but never really thought about it seriously. Today we did it. We started in second and I pulled about a half a car length on him and wound up with about a car length when we shut down at 60. The we went again and I pulled about a half a car and held that till 55. What is the deal. I figured he would pull me pretty hard. My car is pretty quick but not that quick. oh well, it was fun

"Disclaimer"
    Kaizenfighter does not recommend street racing. It is a very dangerous thing to do and is just not a good idea.
    2005 STI
    Obsidian black with gold wheels

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:
    What is the handicapped parking situation at the special olympics?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what year lightning? if it a late model all i can say is you shut down to early or he sucked, but from waht i have gathered the 02' lightning is not a auto to be taken lightly, mad power figures.
    did i whine really loud? you should et a jump at first only to hear that whine pass you soon. but that a stock rex like mine. seems your setup might contend well. if so i want your setup.
    graet kill!
    Last edited by Trypsin; 08-21-2002 at 07:08 PM.

55 mph is pretty early to shut down, but all good...nice kill.

yeah the WRX owns all up to 60... the lightening isnt that fast... stock for stock, its even.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Bone stock L's are good for 13.8's to 13.6's (common). L's supercharged engines suffer at this time of year due to heat and humidity.

Launch is crucial on a L, too. Tell your boss to hold the brake and rev to 1.1K rpm, then push the gas to the floor on a smooth stroke. On stock F-1's it should launch fairly well and pull a 5.8 sec 0-60. If he gets alot of tirespin on the launch, the ECU will dump boost when it shifts into second gear. (There is a boost-dump bypass mod for less than $2.00 in parts that will correct this). If he is smoking the tires on the lauch that truck will run like crap for the drag and post high 14's and low 15's due to boost dump.

Master,

What are some easy mods for the L. My boss has sortof taken a liking to mods after watching me blow my money. He wants some easy bang for the buck.

oh, he said that all lightnings are autos, is this true.
    2005 STI

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:

Originally posted by kaizenfighter
    Master,

What are some easy mods for the L. My boss has sortof taken a liking to mods after watching me blow my money. He wants some easy bang for the buck.

oh, he said that all lightnings are autos, is this true.
    Pulley Upgrade (more boost) Intake, Exhaust. As for the pulley upgrade, I'm not sure how well the fuel is able to keep up. Safe bet is to retune his ecu.

And yes, they are all autos.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

yea, there's a guy that races around here with a 430HP lightning. Pulley upgrades are the first thing I would say to do on those.
    <--GRAVEYARD SHIFT-->

Re: Ok, what going on here (2002 lightning)

What is the deal. I figured he would pull me pretty hard. My car is pretty quick but not that quick. oh well, it was fun
    Umm.. familiar with AWD? You should be able to put a good car length on nearly any RWD/FWD car on the road with a good launch on your part.. albeit, excpet the other car to catch you in a hurry depending on their respective power level. That Lightning should have no problem reeling you in above 60, hell I've seen a boat load of them at Moroso, even the stockers are pulling 13.9-14.1, but more importantly are trapping 99+mph vs. the avg 14.4 @95 for stock for WRX's (Moroso is a few tenths slower than 99% of the tracks in the country). Good kill for you, ask your boss to do a rolling start on the highway from like 60ish, it should give you a good indication of how the power levels differ.
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

awd has very little effect when your starting from 30.
    2005 STI

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:

2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

awd has very little effect when your starting from 30.
    It does to the guy whose trying to get over 300rwhp down to the ground via some cheapy OEM rubber.. even at 30mph. Hell I've seen stock GT's burn through 2nd on the street.. imagine a Lightning punching it from 30mph!
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

Actually I have driven his truck and punched it from around 30 before. It chirped and that was it. I'm not saying that my awd drive didn't have any affect. All I'm saying is that when you have a truck with 380 hp and a car with ~285 hp, you would expect him to pull a decent amount.
    2005 STI

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:

All I'm saying is that when you have a truck with 380 hp and a car with ~285 hp, you would expect him to pull a decent amount.
    Well that in itself yea, but then we have gearing, drag, weight.. You don't expect that 400hp Semi to pull on your right? I mean the Lightning is a fast truck no doubt about it, but is IS still a near 5000lb truck!
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

It's all about conditions. Also the slushbox sucks in stock form, the valve body build up for it OWNES. You will snatch every gear.

I could punch @ 45 with my mods (525HP) and make the rear set smoke....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast