RSX-S from a roll

This is a discussion on RSX-S from a roll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; first real run with another car(did run a supercharged mustang, wasn't pretty) heres how it went. Pulled up to a ...

RSX-S from a roll

first real run with another car(did run a supercharged mustang, wasn't pretty) heres how it went. Pulled up to a light next to a blue rsx-s, mid 20's driver, we take off and i play with him, normal takeoff but make sure that i am next to him, i get to 3rd gear on a normal accel, he floors it, i downshift to 2nd and floor it, he was ~2 cars ahead when i floor it, damn he's getting away, but wait i start to real him in(very slowly) 90MPH(i know this is his territory) to fast for me where we were. what do ya know, another red light. my friends says turn off the a/c, what she says when she know were about to go fast, i said its off. i look at the guy he is grining so am i. i motion lets go and he nods yes, the green light is in the sun(hard to see), turns green, i go on a boggy start, missed the light, but so deos he. i thought he wasnt goin to run so i shift to second and am about a car ahead fully expecting to roll at a normal speed now. but wait i hear him go WOT, so do I, second goes i pull 2 cars(already one car when we start), third another car, shift to 4th early(6500) no sign of him pulling. up to ~100mph.
    well that's it, i really did not expect to start pulling at hyw speeds in the first run, i know if it lasted any longer he would get away, down low i did not expect to pull through 2nd and 3rd. in the last run i know he would get the upper hand up top, there is no way he would have caught me up to 120.
    fun fun. all in all i think an rsx is a quick car. too bad it fwd(gross)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Even without a good AWD launch, a stock WRX should expect to pull on an RSX quite well in 1st and 2nd and a little bit in 3rd. By 4th, the advantage is very slightly in the RSX's favor, but only at sea level. The more altitude you throw into the equation, the weaker the RSX gets relative to the WRX.

Nice kill!!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

thanks but i would not call it a kill, just fun. i did get the impression that if it went any longer he had the advantage. i would like to drive one, the only hang up is fwd, my subie gets the most of me because it drives like a fwd IMO, i have only driven rwd so understeer is new. but i am getting better. i notice that it has to be pushed hard into a corner due to the lack of power oversteer capablities(in stock wagon form), not what i am used to. what i am getting at is that my buddy ahs a prelude SH and it handles extraordinary well for a fwd. does the type s have the ATTS that the lude has? that would be nice.
    btw i am in austin ~200-300' msl i think so altitude shoul not effect it, but is was hot as hell outside 37-38C so i figure with the intercooler heat soak and his N/A sucking hot air levels that temp issue between us.
    Last edited by Trypsin; 08-21-2002 at 05:55 PM.

No, the RSX has a completely open differential which... how do I put this gently... sucks?

I'm with you on the FWD thing. My next car is almost definitely going to be RWD which pretty much eliminates the Honda lineup. I can't picture myself getting into an S2000 (not very practical) or an NSX (neither practical nor affordable!). Right now the 350Z has my attention. We'll see how they are doing in about 3 years, see what my finances are like, and then maybe I'll make the jump.

What RWD car(s) are you coming from? It's always interesting to hear people's comparisons of the various vehicles they've owned.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

i would look for the rx8 as well, very sleek.

well funny but true 4x4 trucks until i was 20, but you know haow it is to be young and bullet proof, drove the hell out of those, than a miata, the best driving car i have ever driven(from a pure driving fun standpoint) that car was amaizing, slow but you could make up for that in the handling, i never really drag, i like twisties and hills. the thing is with a stock miata equiped with good tires and shock is a great thing. with aressive alignments, -toe in 1/8, 1.5 or so on camber and max camber front, rear toed out 1/16" with max camber. (from what i remember)that car would stick. it is still in my drivway needing a door and front fenders. on a constant radius corner by my house i can get the wrx ~50mph tire squeling, in my miata 60+ and stuck like glue. i need a little work on the rex suspension and i think i will dial it to my likings, tires are a must, if i had the cash for a varable center diff i would get one. cars i have driven include 92'911 turbo(fast as hell) 89'911 very nice but a little vw'ish, i would like to have one though, camaro ss w/SC heads and such dynoed 498hp whp, mad house, mitsu vr4 tt, good impression first exp. w/ awd car neat. i was young. several C4/C5 vettes, really impressed with the vette(C5), it felt so light. mid 90's SL500 coupe, fun car but MB has always had the lag on the throttle input annoying as hell, but trated to a nice V8 roar when it does come in. thats my rundown of the cool cars i have tested, most of the my fathers best friend, i went to his beach cabin walked into the door after droolin over ths new 92'911 turbo in the drive, first thing he does os toss me the keys for a drive. that car was ONE BAD MF , 4k hit the boost kicks in and gone, fast shift and bam clutch engagment sent a shudder through the car i will never forget, serious A$$ dyno effect, ended up braking from 100 ~20-30M before the turn, thought my eyes were going to pop out.

sorry for the long post, just had happy hour.
    Last edited by Trypsin; 08-21-2002 at 06:54 PM.

Add a MBC set to 16psi into the equation and say good bye to that type S at 100+ mph..

-Fess

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    If you have a good chunk of it in cash (~$5k), you can buy a 6speed twinturbo supra for less than a new WRX. I know because I did.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Originally posted by WizardBlackWRX
    If you have a good chunk of it in cash (~$5k), you can buy a 6speed twinturbo supra for less than a new WRX. I know because I did.
    good price, but i could not haul my stuff around.