S2000 vs. WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54

This is a discussion on S2000 vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I dont think my car is all that fast...I mean a stock WRX is going to typically run low-mid 14s. ...

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    28
    I dont think my car is all that fast...I mean a stock WRX is going to typically run low-mid 14s. That really isnt all that fast, and you shouldnt think your car is fast just because someone else with the same car has made theirs fast. That would be like everybody in a Civic claiming to be fast because there is a Civic running 8s.

    "Mah Ceevik is m4dd fast y0! DX with int4ke ownZ yu0 bish! I can m4ke it run 9s y0."

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User Master Of Pain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    460
    To me the S2000 is an expensive KART car. With a motorcycle engine. I mean, come on, Honduh, you could have tech'ed out the six and put it in, our at least used the 2.2 from the Prelude. That 2.0 inline has the torque of a wind-up Tonka toy.

  4. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Delray Beach, Fl. USA
    Posts
    446
    Originally posted by jonowrx
    Thanks for the input, BambooI & Twinz...

    I can't spend the cashish on a new turbo (and don't think i'd need one right now ), but uppipe/downpipe combo sounds like a good place to start. Actually, there are a few places i'd like to spend money, that aren't really acceleration-related (suspension, rims, stereo, etc).

    Anyone have any reccomendations/advice on specific brands/makes of up-pipes and downpipes that work well with their rockets?

    Also, do most of the turbo upgrades fit the aftermarket up/down pipes? Or would I have to buy all new up/down pipes once I get another turbo?
    do a search for up-pipe and down pipe combos...Vishnu, TurboXS, GodSpeed ect..these three seem to be most commom..all are good and all will be pretty close in power output. dont forget to add a boost controller to up boost to 15psi. search is your friend for this info and there are a lot of basic packages in the $1k range that will really wake up your rex and make an excellent and very enjoyable difference from stock power output.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

  5. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    314
    Originally posted by Master Of Pain
    To me the S2000 is an expensive KART car. With a motorcycle engine. I mean, come on, Honduh, you could have tech'ed out the six and put it in, our at least used the 2.2 from the Prelude. That 2.0 inline has the torque of a wind-up Tonka toy.

    How is it expensive when the closest competitors are 10-20 grand above the price of a S2000?
    I think the weight advantage it saved from a V6 favored the 2 Liter. Besides, it was meant to be a high revving car, not every car should be a high torque monster. If that was the case, most of the people probably would have bought the Z28 camaro (which discontinued by the way.) So I think Honda really nailed it with the S2000.

  6. #35
    Registered User burntclutch4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland,or
    Posts
    82

    Supercharged S2000 (!)

    I read an interesting article the other day about the new version of the S2000... Supercharged from the factory! (owch!)

    Sumthin' like 350-380 ponies.

    -Trev
    -2k2 WRX Wagoneer, silver

  7. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    410

    Re: Supercharged S2000 (!)

    Originally posted by burntclutch4u
    I read an interesting article the other day about the new version of the S2000... Supercharged from the factory! (owch!)

    Sumthin' like 350-380 ponies.

    -Trev
    Where did you read this? That would really surprise me since I can't think of a single recent FI Honda. Also, if they lowered compression and lowered redline to reliably supercharge it, it would kind of take away what makes the S2000 so unique.

    EDIT: I'm not doubting, sorry if it came off that way, I'm just curious where you got this info since I would love to read it too.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

  8. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    56
    Its not hard to find a used s2000 for 20-25. There is one for 20 in the paper.

    The s2000 is a ***** to drive. Having to rev the hell out of it for any power is insane. In trafic they are hell to drive. The 150 or so lb/ft of torque sucks when compaired to the 240hp. Another reason that the s2000 is not as nice is that any mods cost a fortune.

    I have to admit, the S2000 looks bad ass.

    The WRX on the otherhand may be slow stock. (depends on what you are used to). Put the difference that you would pay for an s2000 (3g's or so) and you have a pretty quick (not to mention different) WRX. The echonomical purposes of the wrx also suprass that of the s2000. 5 seats to 2. One thing I really like about the WRX is the turbo. Turbos are simply cool.

    Anyway thats just my 2cents

    Mike

  9. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    56
    LoL you cant say the B word.

  10. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    32
    I was going to buy the S2000 instead of the WRX originally. I rented one for the weekend - looks killer, but I hate the way it drives. It is a real dog off the VTEC - I did 7 second 0-60's with my work tools in the trunk....with a passenger it was even worse. Once the VTEC kicks in it is a pretty cool car. It was also just too small for me - no cargo room at all. I will say that the stock suspension is very decent, much better than the WRX but low end torque was awful. I'm really glad I didn't buy one.

    Is there a mod to make the VTEC kick in sooner? If VTEC came on at 3000-3500 RPM it would be a much more fun drive. I guess that would go for the RSX-S too.

  11. #40
    Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    Verdugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sea-Town, WA
    Posts
    13,313
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by sordid
    I was going to buy the S2000 instead of the WRX originally. I rented one for the weekend - looks killer, but I hate the way it drives. It is a real dog off the VTEC - I did 7 second 0-60's with my work tools in the trunk....with a passenger it was even worse. Once the VTEC kicks in it is a pretty cool car. It was also just too small for me - no cargo room at all. I will say that the stock suspension is very decent, much better than the WRX but low end torque was awful. I'm really glad I didn't buy one.

    Is there a mod to make the VTEC kick in sooner? If VTEC came on at 3000-3500 RPM it would be a much more fun drive. I guess that would go for the RSX-S too.
    Doesn't an Apex'i V-AFC allow you to change when the VTEC kicks in? My friend has one in his turbo Civic but I think it totally killed his gas mileage...
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

  12. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    410
    Originally posted by sordid
    Is there a mod to make the VTEC kick in sooner? If VTEC came on at 3000-3500 RPM it would be a much more fun drive. I guess that would go for the RSX-S too.
    Yes, there are mods available that would allow you to lower the VTEC crossover point, but there wouldn't be any point to lowering it that much. VTEC is a technology that allows you to use 2 distinct cam profiles, one for low end torque, and another for high end torque. If you used the 'high end' torque cam at 3000rpm, you would be hurting your performance a lot from 3000rpm to about 6000rpm (I'm guessing about the 6000rpm but it is probably around there). I think most people only lower it about 500-1000rpm which basically makes it easier to shift while remaining on the 'high end' cams.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

  13. #42
    Registered User wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    606
    Originally posted by Corrosive
    Its not hard to find a used s2000 for 20-25. There is one for 20 in the paper.

    The s2000 is a ***** to drive. Having to rev the hell out of it for any power is insane. In trafic they are hell to drive. The 150 or so lb/ft of torque sucks when compaired to the 240hp. Another reason that the s2000 is not as nice is that any mods cost a fortune.

    I have to admit, the S2000 looks bad ass.

    The WRX on the otherhand may be slow stock. (depends on what you are used to). Put the difference that you would pay for an s2000 (3g's or so) and you have a pretty quick (not to mention different) WRX. The echonomical purposes of the wrx also suprass that of the s2000. 5 seats to 2. One thing I really like about the WRX is the turbo. Turbos are simply cool.

    Anyway thats just my 2cents

    Mike
    I have to agree with you here they are Biatche's to drive. I nearly bought one. They need really agressive driving all the time because their low rpm's suck. Launching is difficult but when you hit a good launch they are damn fast. Not a nice daily driver at all (IMO)

  14. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    56
    True True

  15. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    78
    Originally posted by RSXSucks


    Yes, there are mods available that would allow you to lower the VTEC crossover point, but there wouldn't be any point to lowering it that much. VTEC is a technology that allows you to use 2 distinct cam profiles, one for low end torque, and another for high end torque. If you used the 'high end' torque cam at 3000rpm, you would be hurting your performance a lot from 3000rpm to about 6000rpm (I'm guessing about the 6000rpm but it is probably around there). I think most people only lower it about 500-1000rpm which basically makes it easier to shift while remaining on the 'high end' cams.
    close but not quite....cam lobes are only at their maximum potential at one small part of a power band. the high lift lobe is ment for high rpm power, thats why vtec only kicks in at high rpm. but the small lobe (off vtec) is not ment for low end power realy, its realy there for fuel economy more then anything else. thats one for the reasons why honda motors dont make great numbers down low. but a good set off aftermarket cams will not only greatly improve top end power but it will also give the off vtec cam lob a performance minded grind greatly increasing low rpm power.......what did you think honda cant make torque if it didnt want too? they make the engines this way so they get good fuel economy. once the cam lobe is changed along with a few other tings they make just as much low rpm power as any other small displacement motor.

    dont mean to be a **** but just wanted to set things strait.
    iiiiiiiim baaaaaaack!
    __________________________
    i-vtec.....do you?

  16. #45
    Registered User PlatinumWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,581
    Originally posted by RSXracer200 #2
    dont mean to be a **** but just wanted to set things strait.
    Very civil! RSXRacer, I am appalled by the really good behavior. KEEP IT UP!

    -Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •