WRX vs VW GTI

This is a discussion on WRX vs VW GTI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is my first head to head ever and what an adrenaline rush it was! I'm bone stock with 1800 ...

WRX vs VW GTI

This is my first head to head ever and what an adrenaline rush it was! I'm bone stock with 1800 miles on my wrx sedan in 3 weeks and he was driving a new looking vw wagon.

I was going home from san jose to berkeley (~50 miles drive) and driving like 75-80 mph on the left lane at around a little pass midnight. Out of nowhere I see a pair of headlights come up on me pretty fast and it wasn't cops lights. He catches up and tails me a bit and switches to the right. He looked over and we sort of made eye contact. It was rather dark and the road was empty ahead of us. He then floors it and I floor it too on 5th gear being the n00b that I am. He outpaced me by 3 cars pretty quick with the headstart.

There were some cars ahead of us so he slowed down and I was right behind him. We reached another empty section and then I proceeded to his right. This time I was prepared. At 75mph I dropped to 4th and I see he did the same from the shudder and we both floor it. I easily walked his ass several cars length. Boy was I pleasantly surprise at my wrx and the rush of it all.

we reached and passed some traffic and went at it again. this time he goes first and I dropped to 4th and go by him smoothly again. We had another go and same result.

We were pacing each other and I think he was grinning ( i couldn't really see inside his car, he had partial tint). I gave him the thumbs up. We paced each other a bit at around 75mph then this honda accord pulls up behind us. It was a empy 4 lane freeway. The honda went to third lane from left to pass us... When he was side to side with us about to pass, being still juiced from the runs earlier, so I dropped to 4th and step on the accelerator again. I didn't see what the vw did. I keep going and slowed down to 90mph and drove a bit. Lost both of them at a junction and went home very satisfied

what used to be a 50 min drive was like a 30 min drive! omg... my friend was shock when I came online half an hour after seeing her and the drive home...lol.
    Last edited by cryptoknight; 08-19-2002 at 04:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

str
    nice race. too bad you didn't get a chance to race from a complete stop, you would have done even better.
    2004 Black Forester XT

What would have been funny was you putting the car into 3rd at 75mph the second time. I doubt he would have came back for more after that. Anyway.. good times..

--Fess

Yeah, if you're from 60-80mph go to third, hold all the way until the needle starts to enter redline then shift (cut is 7200 iirc). 4th is pretty tall and the more rpm you can hold 3rd in the better. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

nice narration and kill.
    1fastsubie - nice avatar!
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I agree, third gear is where it's at.

i can drop to 3rd gear at 75mph?? i was afraid doing something like that would mess up the transmission.

I have a question.

Was it a VR6?

An associate of mine just bought a 2001 VW GTI VR6, I challenged him to a race and was wondering what I should expect from his car performace wise.

Any clues?

Thanks

a stock 2001 vr6 should be no contest...2002 are a little better but not much.

I'm not jackin' the thread but, Trailboss516 thanks. It a clip from a little video my friend shot of me. I had the car a month and decided it was time to hit the dirt, hard. It was a blast! I'm gonna put a vid together when I get enough shots.

-Fess

Originally posted by wrxinthehouse
    I agree, third gear is where it's at.
    Yo me too. At 75mph a drop from 3rd to 5th is awesome followed by a gas pedal stomp up to 95 mph and then go to 4th!
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

I Support ClubWRX

Re: WRX vs VW GTI

Originally posted by cryptoknight

I was going home from san jose to berkeley (~50 miles drive) and driving like 75-80 mph on the left lane at around a little pass midnight.
    cryptoknight,
    Go check out the Bay Area section of this forum. We meet in San Jose on Wednesday Nights at around 8pm. Come by and represent.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Originally posted by SobeWRX
    a stock 2001 vr6 should be no contest...2002 are a little better but not much.
    The 2001 VR6 has 176 HP, the 2002 (as of May) has 201 HP.

-Sheppe
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3