Walked a GS-R
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Walked a GS-R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving early this saturday morning to head over to www.carsncoffee.com (atlanta). I see this ricy, but clean (is ...

Walked a GS-R

I was driving early this saturday morning to head over to www.carsncoffee.com (atlanta). I see this ricy, but clean (is that possible?) black integra gs-r up ahead. I knew if I could break through the crowd and get next to him , he would race.

I see the two guys, in there 30's. It was strange to see guys that old with a riced-out integra like that. He had a monster sized tac, altezzas, big wing. It was just out of character for me

I slowly weave around traffic, no rush, and finally get next to him. We both get to a section with no traffic around us and it's on.

I put it in third as I hear his intake start to growl with VTEC. I get on the full boost song and just start walking away like we wasn't even trying, It was funny because I could hear him REALY trying but I just kept putting distance between us ;-)

I shut down at the top of 3rd and slow down to give him a big stupid grin. The two guys look pretty annoyed and I felt great.

Then he downshifts again and takes off. I wasn't going to bother.

Oh the fun!
    First time booster

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Walked a GS-R

Originally posted by Gotsol
    I was driving early this saturday morning to head over to www.carsncoffee.com (atlanta). I see this ricy, but clean (is that possible?) black integra gs-r up ahead. I knew if I could break through the crowd and get next to him , he would race.

I see the two guys, in there 30's. It was strange to see guys that old with a riced-out integra like that. He had a monster sized tac, altezzas, big wing. It was just out of character for me

I slowly weave around traffic, no rush, and finally get next to him. We both get to a section with no traffic around us and it's on.

I put it in third as I hear his intake start to growl with VTEC. I get on the full boost song and just start walking away like we wasn't even trying, It was funny because I could hear him REALY trying but I just kept putting distance between us ;-)

I shut down at the top of 3rd and slow down to give him a big stupid grin. The two guys look pretty annoyed and I felt great.

Then he downshifts again and takes off. I wasn't going to bother.

Oh the fun!
    Good killing! Are you stock?

Personally, I've only run against just one GSR last year when I was all stock. He appeard to be stock as well. From a roll, I was amazed of how the WRX just began to pull on the GSR (it wasn't a muder but it was a steady quick walk away). He actually had the headstart too since he initiated the little street race.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

yeah, I'm still stock for now.

I had similar results when I raced a type R with mods on the highway. It was my first kill and it happend the day my car broke-in with 1,000 miles. It wasn't as bad a kill, but a third gear pull is awesome in a WRX

it looks like you've done a few mods

What's it like to take down Vette's and SS Camaros?
    Last edited by Gotsol; 08-19-2002 at 09:51 AM.
    First time booster

Originally posted by Gotsol
    Time out!! Who said guys in their 30s are "that old"!! Ahh, kids nowadays, no respect for their elders!

Good kill! Not saying the outcome would be any different but adding a passenger to a 2500lb car hurts your HP/weight ratio a fair bit. I can feel a huge difference even in my chubby 2800lb car.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Re: Re: Walked a GS-R

Originally posted by boosted 4

I was amazed of how the WRX just began to pull on the GSR
    Why? 170hp NA vs. 227hp Turbo, and the WRX isn't alot heavier than a 2667lb GS-R either.. if you don't pull hard on a GS-R, then I'd be supprised!

As for a stock WRX pulling on a stock ITR... ehh, that's kinda tough. ITR pulls away from an RSX-S on the upper end, and I know how close an RSX-S is with a WRX, but they're close enough to where a better driver in one car could make all the difference.

In any event, nice kill on the rice
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

Re: Re: Re: Walked a GS-R

Originally posted by VTC_CiViC

Why? 170hp NA vs. 227hp Turbo, and the WRX isn't alot heavier than a 2667lb GS-R either.. if you don't pull hard on a GS-R, then I'd be supprised!

As for a stock WRX pulling on a stock ITR... ehh, that's kinda tough. ITR pulls away from an RSX-S on the upper end, and I know how close an RSX-S is with a WRX, but they're close enough to where a better driver in one car could make all the difference.

In any event, nice kill on the rice
    You're right but remember the weight diff and whp. You're talking about a 420lb diff (WRX 3085lbs vs GSR 2670lbs). WRX on avg puts down 170whp vs the lighter GSR putting down (I'm going to guess) 150whp. So really not that different.

I can tell you this, crusing at 65mph in 5th and dropping it to 3rd followed by stomping on the gas pedal, a WRX will pull damn good (although I forget how a stock WRX felt exactly). I really like 3rd gear in this car (and 1st and 2nd for that matter)
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-19-2002 at 11:04 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Whoa! The WRX weighs in at 3085lbs??? I had no idea it was that heavy, I thought it was roughly the same as a GS-R sedan at 2800lbs!
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

Originally posted by VTC_CiViC
    Whoa! The WRX weighs in at 3085lbs??? I had no idea it was that heavy, I thought it was roughly the same as a GS-R sedan at 2800lbs!
    No sir! They are indeed that heavy. The wagons actually tip the scales at 3100 something.

It's due to all of the drivetrain components sitting under the skin. In addition, the new GDA models are heavier because of the added structural support. That's one reason you'll never see a sunroof in one LOL. The newer GDA model is 158% stiffer than the last GC8 body style.
    2002 WRBP WRX

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Questions for you guys.

How can you tell a GS-R Integra from a normal Integra?

What is a GS-R motor and how is it different than the normal V-TEC?

I am new to Japanese cars and I can't tell any of these Hondas apart.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Nice run. I wish I could have made it out to one of those cars-n-coffee get togethers before I moved. Maybe when I'm back visiting.

-James-
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Questions for you guys.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Hmm, not sure about all the differences between all generations of the GS-R and all other trims of the Integra, but this I do know for the 3rd (last) generation:
    - GS-R has a VTEC sticker on the back
    - All molding on the GS-R is the same color as the body (lower trims have black molding)

The GS-R is the lowest trim of the Integra line that has VTEC. So it isn't really different than normal VTEC, it's just that none of the other Integras (other than the Type R) have VTEC at all.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RSXSucks

Hmm, not sure about all the differences between all generations of the GS-R and all other trims of the Integra, but this I do know for the 3rd (last) generation:
    - GS-R has a VTEC sticker on the back
    - All molding on the GS-R is the same color as the body (lower trims have black molding)

The GS-R is the lowest trim of the Integra line that has VTEC. So it isn't really different than normal VTEC, it's just that none of the other Integras (other than the Type R) have VTEC at all.
    Thanks RSX. That helps a lot. But couldn't someone just slap a VTEC badge on the back? And what do GS-R motors rev to? Thanks for the info.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Rev to 8k. They have like different rims. They are like 5or 6 spokes. Can't remember. I can tell if I see one.
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

GS-R is about 15 mph slower than WRX top end, and 1.5 sec slower 0-60 and 1/4 mi. Stock vs. stock they should be dead meat.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Questions for you guys.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Good luck telling the difference unless you pull up on it! My friend had a '97 GS-R and I had a '00 GS and it was almost impossible to tell the difference except for the metal VTEC plate on the back end.

The body style remained the same for so long that you really have to have a good eye to catch the differences. Usually, you can tell from the wheels, but the GS-R had the multi-spoke wheels and the newer GS's had the multi-spoke's as well, so it would be impossible to tell if he pulled up to you.

The main differences are in the subtlties....such as the rear lights, the rear grill, etc... If you really want me to go into detail, I will, but its no big deal..a WRX will beat a GS-R easily and demolish any other model. The GS-R is like any other Honda...no low end power. When VTEC hits, its nice, but its not even as fast as a RSX-S and a WRX, with a capable driver, should pull on that.

Its the Type R you've gotta look out for and those are easy to spot.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast