WRX vs. Jetta 1.8 T

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Jetta 1.8 T within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My friend was driving and we get behind a Jetta 1.8T. He floors it off the line, we just take ...

str

WRX vs. Jetta 1.8 T

My friend was driving and we get behind a Jetta 1.8T. He floors it off the line, we just take off normally but punch it in third and catch up. We slow down and punch it again in third. It appeared he did the same but we destyroyed it by several cars. Are these cars fast?
    2004 Black Forester XT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock, they are about equivalent to an RSX-S (slower if you asked ClubRSX, faster if you ask VWVortex ). Chipped, they are about equal to an S2000 if you ask VWVortex. Sarcasm aside, chipped, they are mighty impressive, more than capable of beating a stock WRX in any rolling race.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

I played with one for an hour or so in fast freeway traffic. The car was obviously tuned, debadged and all. I was still stock. The VW was very fast.

russ

1.8T is not that fast in the stock form. They are not as fast as RSX-S. But generall people with some exhaust work and a chip upgrade will be pushing 200+ easily. So watch out for those.

I never get to play with one of those on the road (or even at the track). What ever they got done to it I'll be waiving to'em in my rearview mirror.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

I have owned 2 1.8t's so I can speak with experience.

A 1.8t with chip/exhaust will most likely pull on a stock WRX. With my Jetta I ran with a WRX wagon with an MBC tweaked up pretty high. We ran on the highway from 3rd, through 4th. He put 2 or 3 cars on me. We did this several times with similar results.

I had an 01 Jetta with an APR chip www.goapr.com and a forced motion exhaust. www.forced-motion.com

If you haven't gone to the APR website you should check out the stage III program. 12.6 @112 with a 1.9sec. 60'.
    http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/images/Dragstrip.wmv

That is a killer trap.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

raced my friends like a week ago, killed him off the line, pulled like 3 or 4 lengths in front. then we raced on the move. same result. 1.8 = quick, but nothing like our cars

Assuming you catch one from a roll, stock they're nothing to write home about. Quick yea, but a little lacking up top. Once you start modding them, they become alot like Mustangs.. you never know which is fast and which just has a muffler. I've seen a few 1.8T's at the track which "appeared" modded pulling mid 15's, seen other pull LOW 14's while trapping 97-98mph which is more than enough to walk a *stock* WRX on a roll, and still others are even faster. Never can tell..
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

Originally posted by VTC_CiViC
    seen other pull LOW 14's while trapping 97-98mph which is more than enough to walk a *stock* WRX on a roll, and still others are even faster. Never can tell..
    Stock WRX vs Modded 1.8T, a WRX is capable of 14.1-14.3 @ 95-96. From a roll, it shouldn't be a lot different givin the trap speeds. The 1.8T may SLOWLY pull but nothing dramatic.

Put on a cheap $35 MBC and....many WRX's with just an MBC set to 15-17 psi will run between 13.5-13.9 @ 95-97. When I just had an MBC on my WRX set to 15 psi I ran 13.9 @ 95 in the mid-day heat of August last year.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

str
    must have been stock because i easily pulled about 4 cars on him from a roll.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Originally posted by str
    must have been stock because i easily pulled about 4 cars on him from a roll.
    Yup, he probably was. Good kill.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3