S4 cant shake this!!! lol
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

This is a discussion on S4 cant shake this!!! lol within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I dont wanna go into details. But this weekend, i ran a 2001 S4. We met at a light, and ...

  1. #1
    Registered User BobbyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    352

    S4 cant shake this!!! lol

    I dont wanna go into details. But this weekend, i ran a 2001 S4. We met at a light, and we started rolling. I was redlining 1st and he hit it hard, i let him get a half a car jump and i hammered it. I stayed right with him in 1st and 2nd gear. In 3rd gear i started pulling, not very hard, i was crawling, but i was pulling, by the end of third i was in front of him by a couple feet, and then we shut down. If we would have raced off the line, it would have been close, but im pretty sure i could put atleast 1-2 cars on him by 95+. I was impressed with the subbie, considering they have 6 speed gearbox. Only mods i have are UP/DP. I later talked to him at a gas station, and he said his car was bone stock. He was very impressed with the subbie, and i was very impressed with his interior. You can really tell where the extra 20k or so go.

    -Bobby D

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User PlatinumWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,581
    Nicely done, but I could use some details. Mods?

    Those S4s are pig heavy, stock for stock they are marginally faster.

    -Jim

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    370
    Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Nicely done, but I could use some details. Mods?

    Those S4s are pig heavy, stock for stock they are marginally faster.

    -Jim
    They best times I've seen in the mags goes to the WRX, 0-60 and 1/4 they are even.

    WRX 0-60mph = 5.4
    S4 0-60mph = 5.5

    WRX 1/4 mile = 14.1
    S4 1/4 mile = 14.1

    I think this is because of the weight diff and also because the WRX's AWD seems to be better suited for lauching.

    You would've been better off had you launched off the line because it sounds like you were making better power than the S4. Rather than trying to catch him like you did, you would've already had a headstart on him and continued your gain from there.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-18-2002 at 09:57 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

    Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

    1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

    New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

    1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    68
    i recently talked personally to a WRX owner that traded his S4 in for a WRX AND a Cooper S!

    he said the S4 was a front heavy poor-handler that need $2K in mods to handle as well as a WRX.

    this is the third time i've heard this.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    370
    Originally posted by rally_wannabe
    i recently talked personally to a WRX owner that traded his S4 in for a WRX AND a Cooper S!

    he said the S4 was a front heavy poor-handler that need $2K in mods to handle as well as a WRX.

    this is the third time i've heard this.
    Yes I think the WRX can be a touchy conversation for some car owners that paid a a lot cash for theirs.
    2002 WRBP WRX

    Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

    1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

    New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

    1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    128
    I also traded in my 01' S4 for a WRX. The S4 is a chunker to say the least. The interior quality is not on par with any E46 BMW (my previous cars), maybe close to the E36 stuff. The leather in the S4 is not as sturdy (thinner), the cockpit layout is ish, the radio sucked and rattled (not even close to the HK quality on the bimmers), there's a lot of wind noise from a $42k car, mirrors are not placed too well (the WRX mirrors suck imo), the steering is too numb, the plastic bits are funky as well. Don't get me starting on the transmission/shifter. 6 speeds is a PITA if you've grown up on 5spds.

    It's basically the sow's ear.

    blech.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

  8. #7
    Registered User FUNKED1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    984
    Originally posted by rally_wannabe
    i recently talked personally to a WRX owner that traded his S4 in for a WRX AND a Cooper S!
    Sounds like a wet dream!

  9. #8
    Registered User WRXed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Macon, GA
    Posts
    3,073
    Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Nicely done, but I could use some details. Mods?

    Those S4s are pig heavy, stock for stock they are marginally faster.

    -Jim
    He said his only mods were UP/DP. I think given driver input, it could be anybody's race. Obviously the exhaust mods would definitely help.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

    Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

  10. #9
    Registered User AmSFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    219
    nice run! S4's are beautiful cars and I'd love to have one, but performance/value wise, I don't think many things can compare to the wrx. I recently ran one and ripped him a new one, probably didn't know what hit him
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    104
    I have had my rex now for a few months, and since then I have had some fun with it. I have raced Two S4's. One was a Tip with some small mods done to it and the other was a stock 6-speed. The tip was a fun race. I had seen him in front of me in traffic moving pretty quickly and I was like I really want to see what he has so I started to advance foward to catch up to him and finaly I did and got his attenten when he could not shake me. The S4 turns to make a U-turn and I was ok we can do this right here. So we made the U-turn and had a wonderful 1/2 mile of open four lane road. so we are at a roll at about 5 mph andI herd him through it in1 on the tip andI was like ok lets go..so 3,2,1 andI dropped 1st at like 3800rpms and had a fun little fishing out and then it was on...next thing I knew we were doing baout 100mphs and I was polling away a little at a time until it came time to stop at a light..when he rolled up he asked me if I was modded andI said no completely stock...the only word he could say was damn...nice car.. the six speed was as fun since it was a good friend of mine that is a little scared to drive the car hard. This race goes back a few years since we are both ex-jeepers and we used to always race our jeeps ( I always own sinceI had a full borla/ K&N on my jeep..it was fun to kill Hondas with.) but the 6-speed is a little bit faster than the tip but we had a little run in with the man before we could really get going..Ill get back to you'll when a real race happens...

  12. #11
    Registered User BamBooI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    1,026
    Originally posted by jimi900
    I have had my rex now for a few months, and since then I have had some fun with it. I have raced Two S4's. One was a Tip with some small mods done to it and the other was a stock 6-speed. The tip was a fun race. I had seen him in front of me in traffic moving pretty quickly and I was like I really want to see what he has so I started to advance foward to catch up to him and finaly I did and got his attenten when he could not shake me. The S4 turns to make a U-turn and I was ok we can do this right here. So we made the U-turn and had a wonderful 1/2 mile of open four lane road. so we are at a roll at about 5 mph andI herd him through it in1 on the tip andI was like ok lets go..so 3,2,1 andI dropped 1st at like 3800rpms and had a fun little fishing out and then it was on...next thing I knew we were doing baout 100mphs and I was polling away a little at a time until it came time to stop at a light..when he rolled up he asked me if I was modded andI said no completely stock...the only word he could say was damn...nice car.. the six speed was as fun since it was a good friend of mine that is a little scared to drive the car hard. This race goes back a few years since we are both ex-jeepers and we used to always race our jeeps ( I always own sinceI had a full borla/ K&N on my jeep..it was fun to kill Hondas with.) but the 6-speed is a little bit faster than the tip but we had a little run in with the man before we could really get going..Ill get back to you'll when a real race happens...
    Good kills. What do you mean the man? POPO? 5-0? cops?
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

  13. #12
    Registered User S4_dukar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    52
    Good Kill!

    My buddy just weighted his S4 in at 3580. Thats with a 1/4 tank of gas and his aftermarket exhaust which weights about 20lbs

    His only mods is an GIAC X Chip & Custom exhaust. His best time so far is a 13.0 @ 103mph in 105+ Temp heat. He should be in the mid to upper 12's with cooler weather. Not bad for 1000 dollars in mods
    02 Laguna Seca Blue M Coupe

    Performance
    Custom Magnaflow Exhaust
    H&R/Bilstein Suspension
    Ground Control RSM

    Interior
    Momo Champion steering wheel
    Momo Chrome Knob
    Hamman Pedals
    Kenwood KDC 911 DVD/CD (With lots of porn)

  14. #13
    Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    Verdugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sea-Town, WA
    Posts
    13,307
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by S4_dukar
    Good Kill!

    My buddy just weighted his S4 in at 3580. Thats with a 1/4 tank of gas and his aftermarket exhaust which weights about 20lbs

    His only mods is an GIAC X Chip & Custom exhaust. His best time so far is a 13.0 @ 103mph in 105+ Temp heat. He should be in the mid to upper 12's with cooler weather. Not bad for 1000 dollars in mods
    Wow, awesome time!

    So are you gonna post any new pics of your beautiful piece of machinery? hehe
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

  15. #14
    Registered User 2001S4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    845
    Originally posted by madwagon
    I also traded in my 01' S4 for a WRX. The S4 is a chunker to say the least. The interior quality is not on par with any E46 BMW (my previous cars), maybe close to the E36 stuff. The leather in the S4 is not as sturdy (thinner), the cockpit layout is ish, the radio sucked and rattled (not even close to the HK quality on the bimmers), there's a lot of wind noise from a $42k car, mirrors are not placed too well (the WRX mirrors suck imo), the steering is too numb, the plastic bits are funky as well. Don't get me starting on the transmission/shifter. 6 speeds is a PITA if you've grown up on 5spds.

    It's basically the sow's ear.

    blech.
    You are entitled to your opinion as well as I or anyone, but I do have to say I disagree with everything you said. I think that Audi is top notch with its interior. I do like some of the other companies as well, but BMW ain't one of them. I have never been fond of their interiors.

  16. #15
    Registered User S4_dukar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    52
    Originally posted by 2001S4


    You are entitled to your opinion as well as I or anyone, but I do have to say I disagree with everything you said. I think that Audi is top notch with its interior. I do like some of the other companies as well, but BMW ain't one of them. I have never been fond of their interiors.
    Hey I resent that.

    I had two, yup count em, two S4's and love each one of them. As far as interior goes, Im not too fond about my BMW Business indash CD player, Its kinda wack. But as far as interior design goes, I love mine. Lots of leather, a lot more than my Audi and the design is smooth and the chrome trim is well suited to match everything else. Then again, it could be because I have an M and your comparing normal Audi vs normal BMW. If thats the case then I cant comment.
    02 Laguna Seca Blue M Coupe

    Performance
    Custom Magnaflow Exhaust
    H&R/Bilstein Suspension
    Ground Control RSM

    Interior
    Momo Champion steering wheel
    Momo Chrome Knob
    Hamman Pedals
    Kenwood KDC 911 DVD/CD (With lots of porn)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •