WRX or EVO? This is your chance. Prove to me which is better.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or EVO? This is your chance. Prove to me which is better. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; You guys probably get a lot of this. But can someone run me through the pros and cons of a ...

WRX or EVO? This is your chance. Prove to me which is better.

You guys probably get a lot of this. But can someone run me through the pros and cons of a WRX vs a EVO. What is the BETTER car. Obviously you are going to say WRX. So prove it!
    I currently own a 1993 Taurus SHO 'cause I'm a poor a$$ college student at the moment. But my friend and I are both torn. I would probably rather have a WRX over a EVO but he thinks the opposite. I know that a EVO is better out of the box than a regular WRX. I know that a EVO costs more than a standard WRX. Thats preety much all I know about the cars. Help me out. How much to $$ mod the WRX to make it a better/equal to the EVO etc, etc. Which car takes better to mods? Which car is more reliable? Make my decision easy!

Thanks ahead of time,
    Jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You should be asking what your budget is. They are not really in the same price category...unless you're looking at the EVO RS, which is still more money than a WRX.

The STI is really a better comparison for the EVO. A stock WRX will get walked pretty hard in just about every way by a stock EVO. (Performance wise)

Once you throw mods into the equation things become more complicated as both cars take well to mods.

Needless to say, I can't really give you too many pros and cons as I don't own either car. ;-)

It's tough because you're talking about a $23K to $25K car to a $26K to $30K car.

Say I spend the same amount of money on a WRX as a would a new EVO. Say I get a 2002 WRX with low' ish miles and through some mods on it to equal the price of an EVO. What then?

Quote Originally Posted by SHO_Guy
    Say I spend the same amount of money on a WRX as a would a new EVO. Say I get a 2002 WRX with low' ish miles and through some mods on it to equal the price of an EVO. What then?
    To get a wrx to run with an Evo 1/4 mile was, your best setup for the money would be: turboback exhaust, Uppipe, cobb access-port. these mods will allow you to run consistant mid 13's which is where an evo is running. but the evo is still going to trap higher than you, have slightly better topend, and DEFINATLY outhandle the wrx. The only things the wrx has over the evo, even when modded with those mods will be interior quality and reliability.

Personally, I would go with the EVO. Out of the box it will be faster, handle better, and be cheaeper as far as performance goes... by the time you upgrade for speed, and upgrade the handling to be on par with the EVO, you have spent more than an EVO would cost....
    Also, I have noticed (many others have to) that the turbo in the evo takes MUCH better to mods than the wrx's does. A simple turbo back can get very low 13's on this car and seeing 12's is no problem at with a little more.

so yeah, Its all your choice... test drive both and see what you like better... the EVO is a better car for the money. but the wrx is built better structually.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much.

Is there a reason why you're not considering an STi? It's only a couple thousand more than the EVO and much more comparable.

i spent 19 on my 04 wrx though, about 550 on turboback exhaust( bosal twin tip catback = 380, hks dp = 140) and another 600 on a cobb, and stage 2 runs just about exactly the same as an evo, ive barely dipped into the 20K range performancewise, so you could still get a bigger turbo, injectors and uppipe ( cobb stage 2.5 i think) roughly 300 whp which would walk on a stock evo, except for handling,
    just some food for thought
    if u can afford it though, get an sti
    "Mike, stop spending money on your car.."

If your gonna talk used prices, at EVOm, theres plenty EVO's for sale around $22k.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

hell for the money left over you could get a gt30r turbo, 800cc imjectors, utec, and all suppoting mods.

Remember on an EVO, you get awesome handling, an iron block, and a closed deck motor which is much stronger than the wrx motor and will hold more power on stock internals. It also comes with a much larger turbo and a fmic to boot.
    Last edited by ilivas; 09-24-2004 at 01:36 AM.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

me being a EVO and WRX owner let talk about something no one hit yet maintance..... yoka advan average life is 12-14k miles.... size 235/45/17.... if you want something to compare to the yokos when you change be prepared to spend 250+ a tire.

oil.. ONLY MOBIL ONE SYNTHETIC...even says it on the oil cap... 4.50 a quart, oil filter from the dealer is around 8 bucks 11 at autozone or o'rileys. Gas 93 octane... anything else the car feels like a dog...

WANNA UPGRADE...nothing is cheap for the EVO....NOTHING.....

the WRX on the other hand..can run with no problems on 91 octane, you put whatkinda oil is best for you, pretty much its not too mach of a high maintance car.... and you are claiming to be a broke college student you might wanna stick with the WRX...not saying its the better car...its just cheaper to have!!!!
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1
    me being a EVO and WRX owner let talk about something no one hit yet maintance..... yoka advan average life is 12-14k miles.... size 235/45/17.... if you want something to compare to the yokos when you change be prepared to spend 250+ a tire.

oil.. ONLY MOBIL ONE SYNTHETIC...even says it on the oil cap... 4.50 a quart, oil filter from the dealer is around 8 bucks 11 at autozone or o'rileys. Gas 93 octane... anything else the car feels like a dog...

WANNA UPGRADE...nothing is cheap for the EVO....NOTHING.....

the WRX on the other hand..can run with no problems on 91 octane, you put whatkinda oil is best for you, pretty much its not too mach of a high maintance car.... and you are claiming to be a broke college student you might wanna stick with the WRX...not saying its the better car...its just cheaper to have!!!!
    True, true. The EVO is a b*tch to maintain, and is fairly costly for the "up-keep" of it.

Quote Originally Posted by surfingguy101
    i spent 19 on my 04 wrx though, about 550 on turboback exhaust( bosal twin tip catback = 380, hks dp = 140) and another 600 on a cobb, and stage 2 runs just about exactly the same as an evo, ive barely dipped into the 20K range performancewise, so you could still get a bigger turbo, injectors and uppipe ( cobb stage 2.5 i think) roughly 300 whp which would walk on a stock evo, except for handling,
    just some food for thought
    if u can afford it though, get an sti
    1) you can find used EVO's for about 23-25grand now in good condition.
    2) Upgrade all you want, but I also want you to add in the price of good wheels/tires, good brakes, and a new suspension. After all is said and done you have spent a considerable amount more than an EVO costs, and still dont have as good of modability and steering.... not to mention that if you want to talk about modding, the EVO responds MUCH better to mods than the WRX does.
    I dont know why people argue this. You "can" make a WRX perform like an EVO/STI, but in the long run you are just going to be a day late and a dollar short.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

my buddy had a 03 evo that ran 12s, he had a boost controller and some other stuff, and his definitly blew mine out of the water performance wise, he sold it for 24, so maybe a used evo is a better bet
    "Mike, stop spending money on your car.."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I dont know why people argue this. You "can" make a WRX perform like an EVO/STI, but in the long run you are just going to be a day late and a dollar short.
    Some of us are former Mitsu owners, many from the DSM world. We have first hand experience with 4G63 motors (mine, for example, burnt 2 valves, spat out a balance shaft bearing into the pan and general oil circulation, leaked every fluid except coolant -- I never verified that specifically, but P/S fluid and oil, yes) and Mitsu service issues (transfer case recall ignored by dealers unless pressed, A/C faulty as delivered new, dash switches prone to failure, more rubbish than one could imagine until the Evo horror stories about "voided" warranties also hit in the early 00s).

It's a strong motor with a major weakness in the way timing is handled, capable of great power and torque. Yet for some of us, it's a case of "never again" with Mitsu. I'll take a running Subaru any day - preferably, as you know, a WRX, next a WRX STi. Too much history to look at the Evo in my case. Just an example.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

go for EVO. With 4k, you can run high 11s...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX
    go for EVO. With 4k, you can run high 11s...
    The evo takes VERY well to mods. 4k will EASILY put you into 11's. I'm trying to do it with $2500 in parts. One good launch and I'm confident I will get there. If you are going to mod a car, why not start out with a much better platform (evo/sti)?

If you're in the tri-state area and are looking for a slightly used evo, there is one for sale here with a few small mods, 17k miles, for only $22,500.
    Evo-NY #026
    363 whp 377 torque
    12.2 @ 110.8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast