close call

This is a discussion on close call within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Pulled up to the light last night next to a GTP. All I did was look at the badge on ...

close call

Pulled up to the light last night next to a GTP. All I did was look at the badge on the door. Neither of us reved, but when the light turned green he took off. We were both turning left, and I wanted so much to get in him... but I just let him go. I know I would have killed him so I felt I had nothing to prove. Good thing, too. A cop had someone pulled over in the center lane - couldn't even see him. One of them stepped in front of the GTP and pull him over. The cop stared me down as I rolled by at 40 mph...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

uke
    not trying to flame, but what's your 1/4 mile time/ estimated HP? (just curious)
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

I'm sitting at 286 whp... but I need to upgrde to a stand-alone. I should be sitting higher. I estimate my 1/4 mile time to be about 12.7...

uke
    impressive, you woulda definately killed a stock or lightly modded GTP. Did it sound like he had exhaust done at all? Careful running moderately modded ones from a low speed roll, 25-30 mph is their strongest point, peak tourque is at 3800 rpm's and don't have to worry about traction then.

hehe, I've had close calls like that before, too
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

what kinda basic mods do you do to a gtp for what price and what type of gain would you see? just curious to know alil more about the enemy.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

uke
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4
    what kinda basic mods do you do to a gtp for what price and what type of gain would you see? just curious to know alil more about the enemy.
    Basic mods:
    exhaust (including removing STUPID!!! u-bend) about $100
    cold air intake- self built about $30, manufactured- about $150-200
    smaller supercharger pulley (with supporting mods)-about $80 new for different sizes (3.4" for light mods)
    reprogrammed PCM (our version of a chip)-170-250 (less for used)
    3" Downpipe- around $100 used (some people go straight catless pipe)
    - the above can get you to around 285-300HP (crank), 320-335 torque and get high 13's on a cool day (this is where I'm at currently)

More moderate mods include headers, high ratio rockers, aggressive cam, tuning software, intercooler, all with even smaller supercharger pullies for more boost. These can get you well into the 12's with a good tune.

There are even heavier mods that I'm not too knowledgable about, but let's just say there are many GTP's in the 11's and even a few in the 10's. They just recently developed a turbo kit for Grand Prix's that have given very good results on a stock engine. With that in mind, 9's are on the horizon.
    Last edited by uke; 09-22-2004 at 11:57 AM.
    Grand Prix GTP-gone