Which will be more reliable pushing 300whp WRX or RSX-S
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which will be more reliable pushing 300whp WRX or RSX-S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Which one will be more reliable including the tranny problems on the wrx? The reason i ask is, because im ...

Which will be more reliable pushing 300whp WRX or RSX-S

Which one will be more reliable including the tranny problems on the wrx? The reason i ask is, because im having a tough decision between the two. Im leaning more towards the wrx but, the reliability scares me. For the 300 hp set up that means with the most reliable set up on the rsx-s probably a jrsc at 5psi with I/H/E/K-pro and good tuning and most reliable on the wrx also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go with the STI car and you will never look back. I see
    magazines where the STI is mildly moded and pulling over 400whp. Plus, they
    are running alsome with stock STI clutch(which is good for 400whp). The STI is the
    killer car man. You can do Clutch DUMPS without messing up the tranny. Do that
    with the RSX and WRX and you will leave your tranny behind.

Somewhere in this form, an STI is running a green turbo and doing 11 sec !!!
    I forgot the post location. If I could do it all over, I would opt for the STI hands down.

The EVO suck too. The EVO is about equal to the WRX. Give the WRX a large turbo like the EVO and run +18 PSI plus give the WRX a front mount intercooler, and you have equal cars.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Yea, but the question is, what good is 300whp on a FWD car?

And can you even hit 300whp with the S/C, even if its tuned with the K-Pro? Highest numbers I've seen to date with the JRSC was like 280whp. And like I said, I think you'd just spin and spin and spin. On street tires, you'd probably net the same times with 220whp totally N/A.

If you really want that much power, I'd go AWD or RWD. Its just going to be useless on a FWD lightweight vehicle like the RSX-S. But that's just one man's opinion.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

I Support ClubWRX
    With 88k on my '02 WRX that has been stage 4 from its earliest days, I can say that I have had no reliablity problems, which I find amazing...except for the tranny. The first stock tranny did give out at 82k miles.

Everything else about these cars is amazingly reliable, considering the price tag.

I also feel that 300 whp is way more fun in a Rex than in an RSX.
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Quote Originally Posted by 04BlueWRX
    Which one will be more reliable including the tranny problems on the wrx? The reason i ask is, because im having a tough decision between the two. Im leaning more towards the wrx but, the reliability scares me. For the 300 hp set up that means with the most reliable set up on the rsx-s probably a jrsc at 5psi with I/H/E/K-pro and good tuning and most reliable on the wrx also.

srt-4 y0

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Yea, but the question is, what good is 300whp on a FWD car?

And can you even hit 300whp with the S/C, even if its tuned with the K-Pro? Highest numbers I've seen to date with the JRSC was like 280whp. And like I said, I think you'd just spin and spin and spin. On street tires, you'd probably net the same times with 220whp totally N/A.

If you really want that much power, I'd go AWD or RWD. Its just going to be useless on a FWD lightweight vehicle like the RSX-S. But that's just one man's opinion.
    While traction is somewhat an issue on the street I wouldnt say that 300whp is "useless" on a FWD car. Especialy when you consider that most races on the street are from rolls (in my experience of 6+ years). Add to the mix that you can run slicks or DR's up front at the track and there isnt really a problem. Heck, I cut 1.8-1.9 60' at the track. I know that's not great but it's okay for a FWD with 300whp, right?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

If you are going to mod an RSX-s, go with what Turnwrx said and just buy an SRT-4. You can buy the car and get it factory modded to Mopar Stage 1 and it will stay with or beat the STi and EVO from a roll (this doesn't include cornering). Dodge's reliability has gotten a lot better since the merger with Mercedes and if it was RWD or AWD, I might have considered the car (I hate the way FWD cars handle).

If you want 300 hp in AWD, go with an STi or EVO.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    2-1973 914-2.0's
    1974 914-2.0 LE

Quote Originally Posted by silverscooby
    While traction is somewhat an issue on the street I wouldnt say that 300whp is "useless" on a FWD car. Especialy when you consider that most races on the street are from rolls (in my experience of 6+ years). Add to the mix that you can run slicks or DR's up front at the track and there isnt really a problem. Heck, I cut 1.8-1.9 60' at the track. I know that's not great but it's okay for a FWD with 300whp, right?
    Eh, the SRT-4 is infinitely easier and cheaper to get to 300whp vs. an RSX-S. Plus, you have a LSD which helps get the power to the ground.

My comments weren't intended to put down the SRT-4, that's probably the only FWD platform I'd personally consider to go that far with the power. Just my opinion, I'm not trying to push it off as universal fact or anything.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Eh, the SRT-4 is infinitely easier and cheaper to get to 300whp vs. an RSX-S. Plus, you have a LSD which helps get the power to the ground.

My comments weren't intended to put down the SRT-4, that's probably the only FWD platform I'd personally consider to go that far with the power. Just my opinion, I'm not trying to push it off as universal fact or anything.
    It's all good man. I wasnt thinking that you were putting down the SRT-4. I was just responding to you saying that 300whp in a fwd was a waste. Just saying not neccesarily. 500whp maybe, but not 300whp.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

go STi - i wish i would have.
    2004 Silver WRX
    HKS UpPipe
    HKS DownPipe

I Support ClubWRX
    STi all the way. Having enormous traction no matter what the conditions is a HUGE luxury. Having owned a few FWD cars in the past, I can say that I'd rather have a slow AWD car that can handle like crazy than a fast FWD car that I constantly have to worry about.

Note: I really like the SRT-4! This is just my opinion on what type of car it's better to have 300whp in - and I think AWD absolutely smokes either FWD or RWD with this much power unless we're talking Porsche or M3 or something.

EDIT: since the original question was about reliability, a 300whp STi will probably be more reliable than a 300whp RSX-S for the simple reason that the RSX has to be messed with much more to get up to that power level. That's debatable, but the STi has awesome reliability.
    Last edited by Integra96; 09-20-2004 at 05:11 PM.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang
    Go with the STI car and you will never look back. I see
    magazines where the STI is mildly moded and pulling over 400whp. Plus, they
    are running alsome with stock STI clutch(which is good for 400whp). The STI is the
    killer car man. You can do Clutch DUMPS without messing up the tranny. Do that
    with the RSX and WRX and you will leave your tranny behind.

Somewhere in this form, an STI is running a green turbo and doing 11 sec !!!
    I forgot the post location. If I could do it all over, I would opt for the STI hands down.

The EVO suck too. The EVO is about equal to the WRX. Give the WRX a large turbo like the EVO and run +18 PSI plus give the WRX a front mount intercooler, and you have equal cars.
    STi tranny may handle the clutch dumps but the rear axles won't. Get good at slipping fast and you're good to go, though. Also, to be safe, I've been told you'd probably want to go for some new internals if you top 400 whp.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

did he ever say he was getting an STI? I thought he said wrx

either way, STI will be the most reliable with 300whp.

There are quite a few members here making between 290-330whp on 18g turbo setups. even with something like a VF34 you can make a reliable 280-290whp. The only thing is the tranny. But as long as you dont race from a dig a lot, and abuse the tranny, you should be OK for a while. but eventually, the tranny is going to go... its the inevidable. it could be after 500miles, or it could be after 50k miles.

RSX-s will have a lot of trouble making 300whp on a JRSC. With bolt on's and a descent tune, you can expect more like the 240's-260's. The good part about the RSX-s is kinda also the bad part. bad=its hard to get that much power to the ground in this car. good=the difference between 260whp and 300whp is not that much as far as 1/4 mile times go. you can run mid 13's with a JRSC and do it VERY reliably. Your other option is to do a turbo... Its a bit more work/money/and less reliable but you can make more power but still have the trouble of getting it to the ground.
    RSX is going to have the better interior and it better built than both though. Not to mention it looks and handles better than the regular wrx IMO.

STI would be my first choice: easy to mod, already has crazy power, and a really strong trans.
    RSX would be my second choice: only if you are going to boost it though.. stock for stock the wrx is better IMO, but with a JRSC or reliable turbo, you can make awesome power, have great looks and great handling.. not to mention a very well put together interior.
    WRX would be the third choice... AWD is great, and works awesome for getting the power to the ground. but even though the trans "could" last, its going to suck to be worrying about it in the back of your mind.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Here's a blonde question: When you guys say the WRX's transmission not being able to handle that much power and/or that long, are you saying it is like Mitsubishi's unreliable transmission that has gotten them into so much trouble in recent years?

If I don't plan to do serious mods like that to my engine, do I still have to worry about the reliability of the WRX's transmission? If so, is it something that Subaru is aware of and willing to repair.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Gian - '06 Aspen White STi
    My site.

Man I wish I had money to get an sti but the monthly payments as well as the higher insurance would beat me down to china town. I would go with the wrx for 300whp cause even if the tranny is an issue you can just get a better clutch to help with the load and get the ra gear set.

But oh man I want the sti, they have a set up where you run a few mods that maybe cost like a little over 2 grand total and the sti runs 11's easily. I am gonna probably have to end up spending 10 grand to run 11's but it's gonna be worht it. But yes wrx is the way I would go cause I have a stock 115hp mirage and thats at the crank and when I race in that thing I spin the tires all the time when I launch and I dont just mean chirp I mean spin. I have chirped going into 2nd and even 3rd gear in my stock mirage and I am like whoa simma down na.
    Last edited by TheReaper; 09-20-2004 at 07:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.