Which will be more reliable pushing 300whp WRX or RSX-S - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

This is a discussion on Which will be more reliable pushing 300whp WRX or RSX-S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by onoitsaWRX Here's a blonde question : When you guys say the WRX's transmission not being able to ...

  1. #16
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by onoitsaWRX
    Here's a blonde question: When you guys say the WRX's transmission not being able to handle that much power and/or that long, are you saying it is like Mitsubishi's unreliable transmission that has gotten them into so much trouble in recent years?

    If I don't plan to do serious mods like that to my engine, do I still have to worry about the reliability of the WRX's transmission? If so, is it something that Subaru is aware of and willing to repair.

    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    When the WRX first came out in 2002 there were several people that broke their transmissions in the first few months of owning the car... since then, people have become more aware of the fact that dropping the clutch at 6k rpm WILL break the transmission. Now more ane more people have learned the art of "slipping the clutch".

    so yes, even with minor mods you can break your trans if you drive like an idiot. but that goes with any car. The subaru trans works just fine if you take care of it. It is prone to breaking because people have the misconception that the car can handle that kind of abuse.

    take care of the car, and slip the clutch when you launch. The stock trans only becomes really hazardous when you reach near 300whp, which usually calls for a 18g or larger turbo.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Posts
    215
    I Support ClubWRX
    Clutch drops are definitely out of the question. Furthermore, you cannot shift the stock WRX tranny aggressively into 2nd and expect it to hold up for ever. 2nd gear shearings are the most common tranny issue on 5mts. 1st gear is next in line, and is generally from overly aggressive launches.

    When my stock tranny went out, it was on a 1-2 shift, racing an STi, after getting into 2nd, and laying back on the gas, when the tranny gave out catastrophically. This was also just a couple of days after my dyno tune, after I put the 18g in. The stock tranny simply cannot withstand the onslaught of torque that the 600 cfm 18g brings on.
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

  4. #18
    Registered User silverscooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    976
    The stock WRX 5mt trannys are just weak. My old WRX had third gear go out in mid gear twice. Once when I had it and another when the new owner was driving it home. It's a P.O.S. no tto mention the two times it crapped out on me in first at the track. Anything over 300whp on that tranny and I would be very careful.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

  5. #19
    Registered User AUTO228's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    QUEENS
    Posts
    593
    STI & RSX are two differnet class car. One cost $32000+ and has 300HP, one only cost $22000+ and only has 200HP. It is no reson to turn around between these two different cars.


    If you ask me between RSX or WRX, probably I would take couple seconds to think about. But, still WRX.
    O5 Aspen White STI + AP stage II !!!
    02 Rally Blue WRX sold !!

    STi EVO

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    In the slow lane
    Posts
    1,660
    I think the new RSX's come with 210Hp now from the factory, and look nicer as well too.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

  7. #21
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    I preferred the look of my old 2002 RSX. I don't like the headlights on the new one - though getting 17in wheels stock would have been nice.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  8. #22
    Registered User perfusionista's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    378
    The idea of 300whp in a FWD car may be exciting, but only if all you want to do is trailer it to the drag strip. It won't be good for anything else. Try driving that on the street and imagine the torque steer, and in anything other than ideal conditions (think a slight sprinkle of rain) you'll have to be so gentle on the throttle, otherwise you'd just go straight on at corners...

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    I think the new RSX's come with 210Hp now from the factory, and look nicer as well too.
    I disagree about the looks

    Anyway, the RSX-S is also going to be easier to mod now too..bastards got much better cams and intake manifold and Final Drive
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

  10. #24
    Registered User silverscooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    The idea of 300whp in a FWD car may be exciting, but only if all you want to do is trailer it to the drag strip. It won't be good for anything else. Try driving that on the street and imagine the torque steer, and in anything other than ideal conditions (think a slight sprinkle of rain) you'll have to be so gentle on the throttle, otherwise you'd just go straight on at corners...
    Ignorant statement of the day!
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    960
    yep^
    Mods

    Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

  12. #26
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    I disagree about the looks

    Anyway, the RSX-S is also going to be easier to mod now too..bastards got much better cams and intake manifold and Final Drive
    Yeah I read about that. Hopefully that final drive will help it accelerate faster, especially with the peak power being made higher up.

    From the looks of things, the new RSXs are going to be top-end monsters once people get through modding them.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  13. #27
    sht
    sht is offline
    Registered User sht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    I disagree about the looks

    Anyway, the RSX-S is also going to be easier to mod now too..bastards got much better cams and intake manifold and Final Drive

    damn smokey pissed
    wrx 04 black

    workin for the man

  14. #28
    Registered User perfusionista's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by silverscooby
    Ignorant statement of the day!
    You are obviously the expert here, having driven both a WRX and a Dodge, but I based my comment on 35 years driving experience, mostly in FWD and including quite a bit of competition (though none of it drag-racing, which your avatar suggests you favor). I had the opportunity to drive my nephew's 240 hp/ton (the equivalent of a 330hp WRX) FWD rally car in the rain last year and it was frankly frightening. I know that your Dodge weighs about 2800 pounds, that would be an equivalent of about 210hp/ton. Are you trying to tell us that the Dodge is just as driveable in marginal conditions as your WRX was?

    Please tell us, why did you give up a 352hp WRX for a 292hp Dodge? And as you don't even drive a WRX any more, how come you're still here, troll? In fact, I'm surprised that someone who actively rejected the WRX as their choice of vehicle has the bare-faced gall to show their face here at all.

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Posts
    2,599
    Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    I'm surprised that someone who actively rejected the WRX as their choice of vehicle has the bare-faced gall to show their face here at all.
    Well, maybe you don't know this because you registered here only a couple months ago, but SilverScooby had one of the fastest WRXs on this site for a real long time. I remember when I first joined, I really looked up to his car. I am sure that he has a lot of technical knowledge with the WRX that makes him a great asset to this board, as his WRX was pretty heavily modified.

    You might also not be aware of the fact that there are a lot of people that have been on this board for a long time that have traded their WRXs in for different cars. I, for one, have done just this, and there are many reasons for it, none of which include "actively rejecting" it. I thought it was a great car, and I really liked it, but I wanted something different. Granted, i am not an original member by a long shot, but I did buy my WRX in early 2002, so I had mine for a while.

    Also, this is the best car forum on the Internet. It is not surprising to me that people continue to post here even if they no longer own a WRX or even if they have never owned a WRX. Personally, I think this forum would be pretty lame if there was no diversity whatsoever in the cars that people drive.

    SilverScooby is far from a troll. There is no reason to attack someone for selling their WRX, especially if you don't know all the reasons for the sale. You don't come off looking too intelligent.

  16. #30
    Registered User perfusionista's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by zoophagy
    Well, maybe you don't know this because you registered here only a couple months ago, but SilverScooby had one of the fastest WRXs on this site for a real long time. I remember when I first joined, I really looked up to his car. I am sure that he has a lot of technical knowledge with the WRX that makes him a great asset to this board,
    Funny how when I looked up his posts, he never seemed to share his expertise in the technical forums, but just liked to post here in WRX vs the World...

    You might also not be aware of the fact that there are a lot of people that have been on this board for a long time that have traded their WRXs in for different cars. I, for one, have done just this, and there are many reasons for it, none of which include "actively rejecting" it. I thought it was a great car, and I really liked it, but I wanted something different.
    If that isn't a definition of rejection, I'd like you to come up with a better one. Let's just say your girlfriend said that to you: "I really like you, but I want something different..."
    Granted, i am not an original member by a long shot, but I did buy my WRX in early 2002, so I had mine for a while.
    Yea, I got mine in October '02, after a Galant vr4, and a heavily modded A2 GTI, and more cars than you can shake a stick at...

    Also, this is the best car forum on the Internet. It is not surprising to me that people continue to post here even if they no longer own a WRX or even if they have never owned a WRX.
    Frankly, that is just envy. Granted, the Dodge Neon forums are boring as hell. Biggest thread is the discussion of new colors for 2005 models!!

    SilverScooby is far from a troll. There is no reason to attack someone for selling their WRX, especially if you don't know all the reasons for the sale.
    I think there is every reason to attack someone for selling their WRX if they want to post on an exclusively WRX forum; this is not Clubanybodywhosinterested.net!! "All the reasons"? What reasons do you need? You prefer some other car? You don't have the money to pay for it? (come on, this is 2004, poverty is no excuse)? If you don't like WRX any more then just go away, don't come here and aggravate us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •