I got Smoked - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on I got Smoked within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; In the orignal message in this post he mentioned that it was probably a 9 sec car. And, after seeing ...

In the orignal message in this post he mentioned that it was probably a 9 sec car. And, after seeing many sport bikes in the 8's and 9's last weekend, that car he raced must've at least been pushing 800whp. Like you said, with 900whp 9's would be easy, but not 600whp.
    I'm really not trying to debate you, and I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I don't think you understand what it really takes to build a fast Mustang. In MOST drag oriented Mustangs, 600 rwhp would put that car in the 9's. I'm not really leaving this open for debate, because I've built several of these cars. I've been around Mustangs since 1989. Now, if it's NOT a drag oriented car then it wouldn't even come close to the 9's with 600 rwhp, but still, it would be very fast on highway.

Now that being said, at 3600 lbs, it's VERY unlikely that any Mustang with 600 rwhp will run 9's. If it were in the range of 3000 to 3200 lbs then it would be very possible and pretty likely. It's very easy to get a Mustang near 3200 lbs with driver. My 1988 coupe, with a 10 pt NHRA cert cage and all safety equipment to be legal for 9.99-7.50 ET's, weighs about 2800 with me in it. Of course the newer cars are heavier, but still, 3000-3200 lbs with driver is not unreasonable.

You guys are making alot of assumptions based on virtually no information. I am only looking at this from the standpoint of prior experience. I will practically gaurantee you that the car in question is not making 800 rwhp.

Now, I also am leaning towards the opinion that the guy in the Cobra was full of it regarding his mods, unless the original poster looked in the engine bay and confirmed what he was told. I'm NOT calling BS on the original poster, I'm only saying that if the original poster didn't see the engine bay, then the Mustang driver was probably full of it. Here is why I think the Mustang driver was full of it:

guy was in a hurry to get back home so I got a brief description of his modifications. Twin Turbo with a IC system and aftermarket heads cams, and much more.
    1) that year Cobra would have a DOHC 4.6L mod motor in it, and nobody makes aftermarket heads or intake for that engine, except Ford. And Ford's parts are not yet available to the general public. Unless he swapped in a windsor based engine, which is very unlikely, he would not have aftermarket intake/heads.
    2) Nobody makes a twin turbo kit for those cars yet, unless he has:
    a) one of Incon Systems's pre-production turbo kits which were released prior to Incon leaving the country while simultaneously stealing everyone's money
    b) one of Turbo Driven Concept's kits, however, TDC only makes a single turbo kit for the mod motor, and they haven't shipped any Cobra kits yet, only GT kits.
    c) a homemade kit, which is unlikely, although possible, or a 5.0 engine swap with a 5.0 twin turbo kit.

It very well could have been a built DOHC engine with a centrifugal supercharger and an intercooler. That setup would make 600 rwhp pretty easily even with stock cams.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by aardvark

It very well could have been a built DOHC engine with a centrifugal supercharger and an intercooler. That setup would make 600 rwhp pretty easily even with stock cams.
    I have no reason not to believe you and yes I'm merely speculating about whp. However, think about this though, the first USDM WRX that's in the 10's is putting down 750AWHP. It even has a race trans in it (dog gears).

Based on that info, and the cars are not too far apart in weight, then how could one be that much faster that the other given similar power and all??

Plus, I saw all kinds of sportbikes running last time at the track and there sure as hell weren't many cars even looking their way. Damn, on the highway those bikes should be a real handful.

Oh and BTW, look at the new SC'd Cobra that's coming out, it isn't putting down that kinda power.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-18-2002 at 06:25 PM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

gotta love those GSX-R 1000's my friend has one and it is stupidly fast he has already blown the gearbox once. And had it rebuilt with stronger gears.

Following info taken straight from the easy street post in the drag racing forum. Note, I highlighted in bold.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...&threadid=7888

sure, here goes
    you can see pictures and even a video of the 10 sec car at easystreetmotorsports.com,.
    the car is Viper red, and it now has graphics over it, however they are just big stickers, since they will be coming off since it is a street cat.
    it's an 02 wrx, standard interior with esx suede kit,
    velox 12.5 lb wheels, with falken azenis tires, tein springs
    it's powered by a hybrid stroked ej20 built and tuned by the rigoli's.
    turbonetics t66 turbo, trp intercooler, microtech engine management
    NOS kit using only 50 hp currently to help spool up turbo,.
    6 point roll cage
    5 point belt harness,
    has about 740 hp at teh flywheel and puts 505 to the wheels

extremely fun to drive but a bit scary. the two 10 passes were done with really slow shifts, slow launches, since we would like to save our axles, and shutting down in 4th gear. the car has a lot more in it.

any more question, keep posting or go to easystreetmotorsports.com and email me.

thanks for the interest

ali esx.
    The WRX you were referring to makes 505 hp at thw wheels, not 750 at the wheels. If it made 750 at the wheels, it would:
    1) be running ALOT faster than 135 mph trap speeds
    2) need a much larger turbo than a T-66

Frankly, based on the trap speeds of that car, it could go low 10's just the way it sits now. They just need to get thier short times into the 1.30's. A 600 rwhp Mustang on slicks can short time in the 1.4's all day long. With the right clutch setup it would get into the low 1.30's on slicks without a problem. Obviously, on regular radials (not drag radials), a 600 rwhp Mustang isn't really going anywhere fast right off the line.

Oh and BTW, look at the new SC'd Cobra that's coming out, it isn't putting down that kinda power.
    There are already a few 2003 Cobras making near 500 rwhp. There are several making in the range of 450-470 rwhp. All they really need is:
    1) smaller blower pulley (using stock pulley from the Lightnings)
    2) off road exhaust and aftermarket cat-back
    3) aftermarket MAF, cold air induction and air filter
    4) custom tuning/chip

The other thing regarding the new Cobra, is that it uses an Eaton positive displacement supercharger. This particular blower works well, but it is somewhat limited in the amount of power it will support. The blower that comes from the factory on that car will probably support around 600-630 crank hp. For this reason, we probably won't see any 2003 Cobras making 600 rwhp with the stock blower. Granted, I could be wrong, but I have a hunch I'm not.

As a comparison, other superchargers which are available for Mustangs will support alot more than the blower on the 2003 Cobra can. The Vortech S-Trim will flow enough to make around 680 crank hp. The Vortech T-Trim will support around 800 crank hp. The vortech YS-Trim will support around 1000 crank hp. The Paxton Novi 1000 will support about 650 crank hp. The Paxton Novi 2000 will support around 1000 crank hp. The ProCharger P1SC will support around 700 crank hp. The ProCharger D1SC will support about 900 crank hp. The Procharger D1, D1B and D1X variations will all flow right around 1000 hp, but with different levels of compressor efficiency. In comparison, the Turbonetics and Precision Turbo variations of the T-72 and T-76 turbochargers will support around 850 crank hp, and 950 crank hp, respectively. I *think* that Turbonetic's variation of the T-66 used in the Easy Street WRX will flow around 700 hp, without the nitrous, but I could be wrong. That's actually a somewhat small turbo for a v8 Mustang, and isn't used too often. I don't have much experience with that particular model. The blower that comes on the 2003 Cobras is really pretty small in comparison to what's available from the aftermarket.

If you're interested, there is a 497 rwhp / 517 ft-lb, 2003 Cobra dyno graph is on page 4 of this thread:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=4

Also, you guys should understand, just because some kids have thier 5.0 Mustangs at the drag strip on test and tune night, it is not an accurate representation of a Mustangs real potential. Kids now days buy Mustangs because they are cheap. A relatively nice 5.0 can be bought for around $3500 now. A kid who buys a $3500 car isn't necessarily going to build a real fast street car. They just don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money.

Originally posted by aardvark
    Following info taken straight from the easy street post in the drag racing forum. Note, I highlighted in bold.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...&threadid=7888

The WRX you were referring to makes 505 hp at thw wheels, not 750 at the wheels. If it made 750 at the wheels, it would:
    1) be running ALOT faster than 135 mph trap speeds
    2) need a much larger turbo than a T-66

Frankly, based on the trap speeds of that car, it could go low 10's just the way it sits now. They just need to get thier short times into the 1.30's. A 600 rwhp Mustang on slicks can short time in the 1.4's all day long. With the right clutch setup it would get into the low 1.30's on slicks without a problem. Obviously, on regular radials (not drag radials), a 600 rwhp Mustang isn't really going anywhere fast right off the line.

There are already a few 2003 Cobras making near 500 rwhp. There are several making in the range of 450-470 rwhp. All they really need is:
    1) smaller blower pulley (using stock pulley from the Lightnings)
    2) off road exhaust and aftermarket cat-back
    3) aftermarket MAF, cold air induction and air filter
    4) custom tuning/chip

The other thing regarding the new Cobra, is that it uses an Eaton positive displacement supercharger. This particular blower works well, but it is somewhat limited in the amount of power it will support. The blower that comes from the factory on that car will probably support around 600-630 crank hp. For this reason, we probably won't see any 2003 Cobras making 600 rwhp with the stock blower. Granted, I could be wrong, but I have a hunch I'm not.

As a comparison, other superchargers which are available for Mustangs will support alot more than the blower on the 2003 Cobra can. The Vortech S-Trim will flow enough to make around 680 crank hp. The Vortech T-Trim will support around 800 crank hp. The vortech YS-Trim will support around 1000 crank hp. The Paxton Novi 1000 will support about 650 crank hp. The Paxton Novi 2000 will support around 1000 crank hp. The ProCharger P1SC will support around 700 crank hp. The ProCharger D1SC will support about 900 crank hp. The Procharger D1, D1B and D1X variations will all flow right around 1000 hp, but with different levels of compressor efficiency. In comparison, the Turbonetics and Precision Turbo variations of the T-72 and T-76 turbochargers will support around 850 crank hp, and 950 crank hp, respectively. I *think* that Turbonetic's variation of the T-66 used in the Easy Street WRX will flow around 700 hp, without the nitrous, but I could be wrong. That's actually a somewhat small turbo for a v8 Mustang, and isn't used too often. I don't have much experience with that particular model. The blower that comes on the 2003 Cobras is really pretty small in comparison to what's available from the aftermarket.

If you're interested, there is a 497 rwhp / 517 ft-lb, 2003 Cobra dyno graph is on page 4 of this thread:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=4

Also, you guys should understand, just because some kids have thier 5.0 Mustangs at the drag strip on test and tune night, it is not an accurate representation of a Mustangs real potential. Kids now days buy Mustangs because they are cheap. A relatively nice 5.0 can be bought for around $3500 now. A kid who buys a $3500 car isn't necessarily going to build a real fast street car. They just don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money.
    I hear ya, aardvark. Like I said, I wasn't challenging your info, more of a dialogue if you will. You're obviously up too par on your Mustang knowledge, almost encyclopedia like LOL

Concering the 10's WRX, I guess I overlooked the 505whp part (silly me)
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-19-2002 at 09:12 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

although they are not for the newer mustangs, Cartech ( www.cartech.net ) make some sweet turbo systems including twin setups for '93 and earlier 5.0's. I once ran against a cartech turbo'd 5.0 in my old 300zxtt when my Z was running mid 12's and the 5.0 passed me at 50mph like I was standing still!
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

I think it was the Duck pilot... You know those Ducati owners are fairly limp-wristed...

Originally posted by Master Of Pain
    I think it was the Duck pilot... You know those Ducati owners are fairly limp-wristed...

OUCH!!!!

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.