My STi vs Gen 3 RX7 & 98+ LS1 Camaro
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My STi vs Gen 3 RX7 & 98+ LS1 Camaro within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I just have to say, this is the first time I really got my ass handed to me, lol. ...

Smile My STi vs Gen 3 RX7 & 98+ LS1 Camaro

Well, I just have to say, this is the first time I really got my ass handed to me, lol.

I was going home on 101 South from SF and I had just finished hanging out with my friend at a titty bar all night. Oh yeah, not only did I go home with empty pockets, blue balls, and two losses, I went home happy .

So I'm just driving really bored. I have a 40+ mile drive and I figure, if I don't run into someone at 3 AM for a fun run, then it's going to be a really boring drive.

First race was with the LS1 Camaro. He was cruising at 60 MPH... he must have been looking for a sucker like me, hahaha. Anyway, I goaded him on and it was ready. I shifted into 5th at 80 MPH and punched it... he totally blew me away. I was impressed. Last time I was up against a Z28, I totally handed him his ass. This dark red / maroon Z28 had just eaten me alive . I still gave him the thumbs up with my dome light on.

Second race was against a RX-7. He too for some reason was cruising at 60 MPH. Maybe he networked with the Z28 Camaro or something. Anyway, I goaded him into racing too. Well... at 65MPH, I down shifted into 5th (I know, I should have gone to 4th) and I started pulling away slightly. Then he pulls up behind me (probably drafting) and he is on my tail the whole time all the way to 120. The guy was fast. I wanted to give him the thumbs up but he slowed down and pulled off at the next exit.

I always beat people since they baited me to race them, but this time I was the one baiting. Serves me right, lol.

Signed,
    Charlie

Mods:
    Custom Stromong Down Pipe (2 Cat Delete) with Stock Cat Back
    GFB 50/50 Hybrid BOV
    Wingless
    Last edited by outferno; 09-15-2004 at 01:36 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by outferno
    he slowed down and pulled off at the next exit.
    Maybe you won by making him blow the head gasket.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by McBain
    It is an RX7, that might have happened.
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by McBain

Do you mean Apex Seals?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

As you already mentioned, you need to be in 4th gear. 4th gear pulls very hard from
    around 55 - 95 mph. 60 mph is a great place to race from in an STi as long as your in 4th gear.

So next time your going to race someone, slow down to about 55 - 65 mph and slip it in 4th gear. That will get you up to 95mph before you need to shift into 5th. Believe me it makes all the difference in the world. Especially if your racing a car such as an LS1.

i thought you had 2 losses? you beat the rx-7 unless i read completely wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by silverscooby
    Do you mean Apex Seals?
    you're on it. I missed that one..

Hrm... Funny you mention a FD RX-7. My best friend owns one and even on one turbo right now he is whipping my stg 2 wrx from a roll. Basically I'm so tempted to sell my car and get a FD, they are soooo sexy and soooo fast. Not to mention the handling owns everything about my WRX and its a 10 years old car. *sigh* man I love 7's
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

Quote Originally Posted by xaton
    Hrm... Funny you mention a FD RX-7. My best friend owns one and even on one turbo right now he is whipping my stg 2 wrx from a roll. Basically I'm so tempted to sell my car and get a FD, they are soooo sexy and soooo fast. Not to mention the handling owns everything about my WRX and its a 10 years old car. *sigh* man I love 7's
    yea you're seeing the running end of it... now ask you friend how much time and money it takes to keep the car running.... it will change you mind... apex seals, overheating.... might wanna read up on the rotary a lil more before you sell the WRX....

as for the guy who took the two L's... oh well you can't win em all.... oh yea hi powered RWD+ running from a roll=total ownage..... ..good way o go out though.....
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1
    as for the guy who took the two L's... oh well you can't win em all.... oh yea hi powered RWD+ running from a roll=total ownage..... ..good way o go out though.....
    It's fun to fight from a disadvantage . What fun is it going in knowing you're going to win? Hehehe.

Signed,
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1
    yea you're seeing the running end of it... now ask you friend how much time and money it takes to keep the car running.... it will change you mind... apex seals, overheating.... might wanna read up on the rotary a lil more before you sell the WRX....

i hope you arent saying all rx-7's are unreliable because if so then maybe you should read up a lil more on the rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by infox
    i hope you arent saying all rx-7's are unreliable because if so then maybe you should read up a lil more on the rotary.
    Personally, from all I've heard and read, a lot of them seem to have problems after 90K on the engine . That's what kept me away. But, it's just a generalization I get from the horror stories.

I'm sure there will be horror stories about my car soon enough .

Signed,
    Charlie

Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by infox
    Not all of em are, but all the FDs are and you'll never convince me otherwise. I've always looked up used FDs and the number of them on their second and 3rd engine is startling, in fact it's maybe 1 in 10 that are actually on the original engine, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I love the car but the only way I could ever own one is if I didn't ever actually NEED it to run and just used it for some fun on the weekends.

When you are racing from a roll it's always important to be in the right gear, and even though the STi makes it's peak power 1000rpms before the rev limit, 4th at 55 and 5th at 80 are not where you should be. from 45-60 it's best to leave it and third; you'll be hitting the rev limiter before you know it, so you have to shift fast. At 80 you definetly should be in 4th, not 5th. 4th will take you from 80-100 quickly and then 5th is like 100-125. You will definetly do better if you follow my advise and you can shift very quickly.

To drive the STi to it's fullest potential, fast shifting is a nessecity since you have to shift so much, but the advantage is that there will always be instant torque. If you're stock then it's best to shift right around 6,000rpms in the higher gears (4th and 5th).

Quote Originally Posted by DenniSTi
    When you are racing from a roll it's always important to be in the right gear, and even though the STi makes it's peak power 1000rpms before the rev limit, 4th at 55 and 5th at 80 are not where you should be. from 45-60 it's best to leave it and third; you'll be hitting the rev limiter before you know it, so you have to shift fast. At 80 you definetly should be in 4th, not 5th. 4th will take you from 80-100 quickly and then 5th is like 100-125. You will definetly do better if you follow my advise and you can shift very quickly.

To drive the STi to it's fullest potential, fast shifting is a nessecity since you have to shift so much, but the advantage is that there will always be instant torque. If you're stock then it's best to shift right around 6,000rpms in the higher gears (4th and 5th).
    I'm going back to stock as of next week. I'm tired of fearing the cops, lol.

I know how the pull is but I didn't think it would make a huge difference. I've done the 4th gear at 80 and it pulled so quickly that I was afraid to do it.

Signed,
    Charlie

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.