My STi vs LS1 z28
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My STi vs LS1 z28 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On my way home I notice these head lights coming up fast behind me. At first I thought it was ...

My STi vs LS1 z28

On my way home I notice these head lights coming up fast behind me. At first I thought it was the cops so I slowed down. It ended up being a red LS1 z28. He got right next to me going about 60 mph and shadowed me. I knew what he wanted. So I nailed it and he did the same. From 60mph - 120 mph, I slowly but surely walked him. I ended up with a solid
    3-4 cars. The best part about it was I was still pulling on him all the way to 120. He was falling back the whole way.

We both slowed down to about about 50 mph and he got besides me again. He first gave me a big thumbs up and a smile (cool guy). Then he looked over at me to say lets do it again. Just on cue we both nailed it. I again pulled on him. We went to about 100mph and I already had about 2 cars on him.

There was no dought about it. My car was noticeably faster.

As far as mods I couldn't see any. But I could hear something. His exhaust was loud, yet he still had the factory tips. He most likely had cutouts.

Cool guy and fun races.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice runs. It is very hard to pull on LS1s on top end, but you sure did. Congrats!
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Wow i give you credit. LS1s are not easy to beat.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

good kill. i raced a stock z28 before from a dig and took him by about 2 cars up to 80. i think the result would be a lot different if i was on the highway...
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

oh no! This means I can't beat a z28 with my stock sti . Oh well.. engine management here i come!!

The LS1 you beat probably had the crappy gears...200somethings...because I raced an LS1 ss, and he barelly edged me out by like 1 car at higher speeds, and he told me its cause he doesnt have the 300 gears, he had the 200 whatever gears.

uhh....it was prolly an auto, cuz i know guy with a ls1 and he trapped over 108 stock. you trap at 105.

good run..?
    Z33

nice run! Ls1's have very nice topend.... good to hear you put some cars on it
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D
    The LS1 you beat probably had the crappy gears...200somethings...because I raced an LS1 ss, and he barelly edged me out by like 1 car at higher speeds, and he told me its cause he doesnt have the 300 gears, he had the 200 whatever gears.

LS1's come with 2:73 , 3:23, or 3:42 gears stock. These gear setups don't make a lot of difference, trust me.

What does make a difference is whether it is an automatic or a 6 speed from a roll. The automatics don't seem to do all that well from certain speeds. Especially races starting in the 50mph zone.
    I'm assuming it was an automatic that I raced because of my easy victory. A 6 speed should have given me a better race.

But the facts are it was an LS1 z28 and I pulled on it twice from a roll. Like I said in the original post , by a solid 3 cars up to 120 and 2 cars up to 100mph from about 50 mph or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeflyby
    uhh....it was prolly an auto, cuz i know guy with a ls1 and he trapped over 108 stock. you trap at 105.

good run..?
    Wow 108 stock??? I never saw one run a 108 stock before, i saw a kid i know that has a cam, exhaust, intake and a few other things on his 35th anniversary SS with the 6speed run a 13.1@106
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Most people dont know that it makes a difference if its a 98-00 or 01-02 because the newer models have alot more HP because they have a LS6 intake. 98-00 can trap the highest ( of course with a good driver) 106 (107 rarley). A 01-02 can trap at 106-109. So probably was a 98-00. Or maybe a bad driver. Note if an LS1 has headers the High end power only gets better.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!

Family:
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    Wow 108 stock??? I never saw one run a 108 stock before, i saw a kid i know that has a cam, exhaust, intake and a few other things on his 35th anniversary SS with the 6speed run a 13.1@106

He has to learn how to drive
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!

Family:
    15.3@90.5 Stock

How is that bad driving? It's a very typical rwd timeslip for a car on plain street tires.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Quote Originally Posted by John M
    How is that bad driving? It's a very typical rwd timeslip for a car on plain street tires.
    That car should have at least 380rwhp. I think he should be trapping much higher than 105mph. I can understand having a higher E.T. due to spinning, but the trap speed is very low.

Quote Originally Posted by zoophagy
    That car should have at least 380rwhp. I think he should be trapping much higher than 105mph. I can understand having a higher E.T. due to spinning, but the trap speed is very low.
    I am thinking he is in need of a good tune.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.