So my cousin, Carl, calls me up the other day...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on So my cousin, Carl, calls me up the other day... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ...and asks me if I'd be interested in driving a Viper from Margate, NJ (AC) to Roxborough, PA (Philadelphia). Naturally, ...

Talking So my cousin, Carl, calls me up the other day...

...and asks me if I'd be interested in driving a Viper from Margate, NJ (AC) to Roxborough, PA (Philadelphia). Naturally, I said yes. So the next morning I got up at 5:45am to pick up Carl at 6:30. We drive to Nick's house in Philly. Joe, who was supposed to drive the Prowler, but ended up riding with Carl instead, shows up around 9am. We all pile into Nick's Eclipse and drive to Margate.

Carl decides to drive the Cingular Spiderman Viper GTS. I gladly accept driving the white Mamba (Limited Edition) 2004 Viper convertible. The first thing I notice is that the car has <800 miles on it. It's not even broken in yet! Oh well. The second thing I notice is how close together the pedals are and how tall the clutch is. The lack of deadpedal means your foot rests UNDER the clutch pedal when you aren't using it. It took me a while to get used to the pedal layout. We rumble out of Margate and onto the AC expressway. Traffic (and following an Eclipse) limited me to only about a half a dozen third gear pulls, but it was prettyy fast. The thing about a Viper is they don't FEEL fast because of the flat torque curve. The brakes are awesome. The fit and finish on the 2nd gen Viper is excellent. The car felt very solid and substantial.

I got to put about 80 miles on a virtually new Viper and I got paid $50 to do it. All in all it was a good day.

If you ever get a chance to drive a Viper, take it!

-Jim
    Last edited by PPMotorsports; 09-13-2004 at 10:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've driven an RT-10 . Twas a nostalgic experience.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Road in my buddy's modded R/T. It's like riding in an airplane. You know the damn thing is going fast, but you have no concept of how fast you are going. I know it sounds weird, but it is a scary, scary car. I never want to be in anything that fast again.

(Nevermind the last sentence, i'm a bad liar.)
    Last edited by VitaminWRX; 09-13-2004 at 10:17 PM.

Hey, I've seen that Spiderman Viper in Margate. My parents got a place down there, and I walk by that house once in a while -it's usually parked next to a Lamborghini. I always wondered who has the $$$ to own both a Viper and a Lambo.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650
    This would be so much better if it had a really long kill story added onto it!
    Well not everyone looks for trouble when they are out driving.

What if you lie in the middle of the road and someone drives a 12 wheeler over you? bump bump bump bump bump squish squish slurp slurp nothing nothing nothing. Wow that be the perfect kill.
    If you don't like reading the crap in the signature sections then simply disable them in your user profile under "Edit Options"

I have seen a few round here. I pulled up at a gas station along an RT convertable Viper dark green underneath all the brake dust. In ear shot of the owner I said to the wife how the hell can someone own such a nice peice of machinery and have no care in the world for it.

Next part is BS.

The guy looks at his car gets in his car puts it in reverse drives into an empty space does a 180 on a dime and smiles at me and heads to the car wash.
    If you don't like reading the crap in the signature sections then simply disable them in your user profile under "Edit Options"

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG
    Hey, I've seen that Spiderman Viper in Margate. My parents got a place down there, and I walk by that house once in a while -it's usually parked next to a Lamborghini. I always wondered who has the $$$ to own both a Viper and a Lambo.
    Tony,

The guy is a very successful Corvette salesman. The Vipers spend the warmer months in Margate aand the colder months at Gary Barbera Dodge in the showroom. Keep in mind that he does borrow cars from work from time to time.

One more thing, the side exhaust sounds awesome, but if you are wearing shorts, it reminds you that it's there when you get out. Definitely worth the burn risk!

Tim,

I don't think too many people challenge Vipers to highway races. Especially when there is another Viper behind it. I'm pretty confident I could take anyone stupid enough to try, unless they were also driving an $80k+ sports car. The viper is all engine. It's like driving a guided missile with a windshield.

-Jim

Yep, thats the Kerbeck and Barbara houses down in Margate. My family has a house around there, and their driveways are always good for a nice showing of Vettes, Vipers, Prowlers, Bentlys, Lambos, Ferraris, etc. Hope you enjoyed the SRT-10. I have seen Gary, and the Mamba Edition around Margate, Long Port and AC this summer, and it is definately very sexy in white. If you get a chance, check out the Green House Bar next summer on Friday and Saturday nights because Gary and the Kerbeck Bros. are usually good for arriving in style.
    -Marc
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ilivas
    I've driven an RT-10 . Twas a nostalgic experience.
    Same here

Would love the opportunity to drive a Viper. Unfortunately I am a poor poor man.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

I just went to the dealership and acted like I was going to buy the car. He let me test drive it of course. I've never seen a car hit a 120 so smoothly.
    Mods

I wanna get paid to drive one...

Do they mind if it comes back without tires?

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by ilivas
    I just went to the dealership and acted like I was going to buy the car. He let me test drive it of course. I've never seen a car hit a 120 so smoothly.
    I could probably do that. Me being young might give them the idea to not let me drive it though.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

I was 17 when I drove it. But I owned a brand new bmw at the time.
    Mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast