Evo MR or STI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo MR or STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys I currently own a mustang but will b trading it in cuz I need a car that I ...

Evo MR or STI

hey guys I currently own a mustang but will b trading it in cuz I need a car that I can drive all year round...so I was wondering if u guys could help me out...in ur opinion which is the better car the evo mr or the sti...what r the pro's and con's of both cars...like I said I really need ur guys opinions b/c I dont kno that much about both cars...thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's a few posts down, but here it is anyway!

Big EVO MR vs 05 STI story in Motor Trend

My suggestion would be to read as much as possible about both cars. Read the threads in this forum. Go to evolutionm.net and read through their threads. Then if you have any questions about the STI, you can use the search button and search through the forums for answers. I can almost guaruntee you'll find the answers to what your looking for. If not, ask away in this thread and shortly your questions will be answered. I was in the same position as you were a year ago with the exception that I knew a lot about each car. My choice was the STI for several reasons. Test drive was better. Interior is nicer. Higher displacement. More comfortable. Subaru reliability and service. Track performance-wise the cars are neck and neck. Its really hard to say one is better than the other. Theres several more reasons I chose the STI, but those are things you need to decide for yourself. Oh and by the way, the STI is great in the snow as well.
    Never stop learning.

Moved to wrx vs. the world.
    Alex

I say go for what you think looks cooler. As far as I'm concerned, they perform the same, but the 'air interrupter' treatment on the back looks like a horse's patootie.

Drive them both, its the only way to know. I have now driven them both and they are so close in every aspect its impossible to choose, it just comes down to what you feel more comfortable in. Personally, I like the MR just SLIGHTLY better but would take the STi anyday.

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    Drive them both, its the only way to know. I have now driven them both and they are so close in every aspect its impossible to choose, it just comes down to what you feel more comfortable in.
    couldn't have been said better......

before i bought my EVO.. i was in the same situation... took me 2 weeks to make a decision... but i got a waaayyyy better deal on the EVO so i took it.. if i would have got the same deal for a STI.. i really would have had a problem.....
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

I got the new car and driver mag. They testes the MR in the qaurter mile. It ran a 13.4 at 104mph. I think its a great car, But for $35000, I would take an EvoVIII and put about $2000 in mods and be running low 12's all day and still saved about 3000. New evoVIII start at $25 grand for an rs and stop at $30,000 for fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    I got the new car and driver mag. They testes the MR in the qaurter mile. It ran a 13.4 at 104mph. I think its a great car, But for $35000, I would take an EvoVIII and put about $2000 in mods and be running low 12's all day and still saved about 3000. New evoVIII start at $25 grand for an rs and stop at $30,000 for fully loaded.

[snicker] he said testes [/end snicker]

True, but that MR in the dark grey color is spell-binding

Test drive them both and read everything possible on them..

My vote is STi, but then I'm addicted to the boxer rumble

evo is made like crap, but it has awesome handling and nice power.. and sti i think looks cooler, and its reliable, but that as good handling.. u decide

Depends if you are planning to keep it stock?

If yes, then buy the cheaper of the two!

If NOT, then STI all the way. The EVO 5 speed tranny will go out way faster,
    than the STI 6 speed tranny.

I talke to XS engineering, and they say that the STI tranny is VERY STRONG. They use STI tranny's on WRX turbo testing. I'm talking about the XS engineering 450/500 turbo. Those are strong turbos!
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

are you crazy dude?? love the STi, but c'mon...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    evo is made like crap, but it has awesome handling and nice power.. and sti i think looks cooler, and its reliable, but that as good handling.. u decide
    The EVO, has an engine that's tried and true. It's the best 4G63 EVER. And it's based on solid technology that's BEEN solid for the better part of a decade.

Now, let's dig a touch deeper: The EJ25T (STI Motor) is brand new, and worse, is a U.S. market engine only, AFAIK. It might now be available in Japan, but NOT in a WRX. The reasoning is simple. The rally class requirements for the STI and EVO are 2000cc or less. This is where the EVO and STI have battled for many years. Many Japanese sports car consumers would be insulted if the STI where to contain a motor of over 2.0L.

We, as Americans, GENERALLY have very little knowledge of the history of either vehicle. We just know both are fast as ****. Because of this, we don't really care how much displacement the STI has, so long as it's good. And it is good. VERY GOOD.

BUT: Because nowhere else in the world has the EJ25T, the amount of tuning hardware for the vehicle will be severly limited to U.S. domestic tuners. Not so with the 4G63, which has tuning firms on no less than 4 continents. Autralia, North America, Europe, and of course Asia (Japan) all have EVOs already making stonking power and are tuned with amazing handling.

The STI is fast, and it handles well, but as a driver, you are very detached from what is happening in the car. It has a tendancy to push, and is fairly hard to control at the limit. Again, not the same in the Evolution, which is a true driver's car. It's very neutral, even from the factory, and the response is excellent. Further, it really allows a driver to BE a driver, and it's a more enjoyable experiance at the limit.

Plus, IMHO, the Evolution just looks better.

There are plenty of other reasons, and we could go on for a very long time...just giving my 2 cents because this almost makes me as mad as the VW vs. SRT-4 discussion

...if this isnt enough, look at the results at the EVO vs WRX/STi shootout at e-town...
    Last edited by 8urVTEC; 09-20-2004 at 03:09 PM.
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by 8urVTEC

Now, let's dig a touch deeper: The EJ25T (STI Motor) is brand new, and worse, is a U.S. market engine only, AFAIK. It might now be available in Japan, but NOT in a WRX. The reasoning is simple. The rally class requirements for the STI and EVO are 2000cc or less. This is where the EVO and STI have battled for many years. Many Japanese sports car consumers would be insulted if the STI where to contain a motor of over 2.0L.
    Rally requirements have nothing to do with why wrxs are 2.0l subaru only has to make a certain amount of cars for homologation and thats on of the versions of the RA, the reason the rest of the jdm imprezas have 2.0l turbos is any higher and they cost more due to taxes. If you notice there are alot of cars that have no rally history sold in japan a 2.0l or under. The 2.5t is availible in places besides the us but not in imprezas, and the places that dont get it in imprezas are currently buying alot of 2.5l blocks to put in their imprezas.

BUT: Because nowhere else in the world has the EJ25T, the amount of tuning hardware for the vehicle will be severly limited to U.S. domestic tuners. Not so with the 4G63, which has tuning firms on no less than 4 continents. Autralia, North America, Europe, and of course Asia (Japan) all have EVOs already making stonking power and are tuned with amazing handling.
    There are people in the us, puerto rico, australia, Europe and probably other places tuning with ej25t blocks, its new and will take some time to be developed, but it will be developed. The 4g63 is of course already there.

The STI is fast, and it handles well, but as a driver, you are very detached from what is happening in the car. Further, it really allows a driver to BE a driver, and it's a more enjoyable experiance at the limit.
    The 03 us evo will probably be bit more of a drivers car then the mr, the addition of computer controlled active diffs tends to numb up the experiance a bit and more is left up to the car not the driver.

P.S. I dont really favor either car, each is better for some things then others but Im a bit dissapointed in the MRs track results, it looks like a evo rs would be a much better buy.
    Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    are you crazy dude?? love the STi, but c'mon...

The STI is fast, and it handles well, but as a driver, you are very detached from what is happening in the car. It has a tendancy to push, and is fairly hard to control at the limit. Again, not the same in the Evolution, which is a true driver's car. It's very neutral, even from the factory, and the response is excellent. Further, it really allows a driver to BE a driver, and it's a more enjoyable experiance at the limit.
    Rebuttal: If it's pushing, you aren't driving it right, IMHO. The front diff takes a different approach than normal, and needs to be used properly to make the car rotate. I've driven both, and yes, the Evo definitely fells smoother, apexing very nicely. However, exiting a corner is much different in both cars, and IMO, it is easier to accomplish a much higher speed in the STi than the Evo. Since I've yet to be passed or even had an Evo hang with me at a track, my only conclusion to date is the Evo is not as track worthy as the STi, or the Evo drivers need more seat time.

...if this isnt enough, look at the results at the EVO vs WRX/STi shootout at e-town...
    Rebuttal: None. See my statement above only reverse it. The STi drivers did not represent us well at that event. I didn't drive that day, so I really can't complain (eg..put up or shut up). However, if we compare 1/4 mile experiences, again, the STi comes out on top in my experience. Have yet to have a stock Evo come anywhere near me in a race. But again, is that the car or the driver...the never ending story.

For my own 2 cents worth, here is my recommendation on your choice or purchase. Go visit both dealers and ask question about the vehicels, ask for a test drive, and ask about price. Use that impression to make your choice. I can almost guarantee the difference in knowledge and professionalism will make you see the light. Not to mention something I haven't seen yet in this thread....turbo lag. One has it, and one doesn't. Can you guess which one?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.