Evo MR or STI - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo MR or STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; stock EVO...do those exsist????? sorry but it doesn't matter either way.... go for what you want.. you make the payment... ...

stock EVO...do those exsist?????

sorry but it doesn't matter either way.... go for what you want.. you make the payment... not anybody else.... i bought the evo because it was 6k cheaper than the STI ..if they were the same price it really would have made things harder...

the 4G63 is a battle proven engine... that take damn good to mods.... im happy with my car... thats all i can tell you.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang
    Depends if you are planning to keep it stock?

If yes, then buy the cheaper of the two!

If NOT, then STI all the way. The EVO 5 speed tranny will go out way faster,
    than the STI 6 speed tranny.
    The standard EVO 5 speed is bullet proof. The clutch is a POS, but the tranny itself is much more rugged than the DSM 5 speed tranny or the glass 5 speed from the standard WRX.

Also, he is talking about the EVO MR that has the 6 speed, not the 5 speed.

Keith
    Miss the wifes WRX, but love my Ralliart!

Fifth Gear, on Speed, had a feature on STI v Evo this week. This is an old British show, but as they get the cars much earlier than we do some of the comments are close to our experience. They compared the Evo FQ300, which has the 6-speed and active diff, with the STI PPP, which (although the EJ20 engine) has been breathed on by Prodrive to give 300hp. They basically concluded that STI has better brakes, gearbox and interior, but understeers, while the Evo handles better and looks sharper, but has a rubbery box and the brakes feel "wooden" and fade. Also note; this Evo is the British version with 300hp motor and not exactly equivalent with US Evo or the MR as described in the pre-release stories, which may suffer in power/speed comparison with the STI.

Program is repeated this Thurs (9/23) at 6.30 AM Eastern and Sat (9/25) at 6.00 AM Eastern

Also, afpdl, I have to take issue with your comment: "The 03 us evo will probably be bit more of a drivers car then the mr, the addition of computer controlled active diffs tends to numb up the experiance a bit and more is left up to the car not the driver." I think every reviewer has come to the opposite conclusion, citing the active center diff as one of the things that improves the handling and sets the Evo apart from the opposition (including STI). Remember that the reason US Evos don't have it isn't because Mitsu want you to have more of a "driver's car" but because it's expensive. It's addition in the Evo MR is one of the reasons that the MR's estimated price is >35K. But if that seems steep, consider that the cars featured on Fifth Gear cost $48,400 (STI) and $51,995 (Evo) at today's exchange rate!!

I would pick the Evo MR over the the Sti even though i own a subaru. The MR is mean looking stock already and crazy fast.
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    I think every reviewer has come to the opposite conclusion, citing the active center diff as one of the things that improves the handling and sets the Evo apart from the opposition (including STI).
    I did not say it didnt make it handle better I said it would be less of a drivers car as the driver will have to put more trust in the car. Around the world the standard evo has been called the better drivers car as it feels more direct and responsive but it is far far from the fastest of the evos. Watch other episodes of fifth gear or top gear with the fq evos in many they mention that.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    Fifth Gear, on Speed, had a feature on STI v Evo this week. This is an old British show, but as they get the cars much earlier than we do some of the comments are close to our experience. They compared the Evo FQ300, which has the 6-speed and active diff, with the STI PPP, which (although the EJ20 engine) has been breathed on by Prodrive to give 300hp. They basically concluded that STI has better brakes, gearbox and interior, but understeers, while the Evo handles better and looks sharper, but has a rubbery box and the brakes feel "wooden" and fade. Also note; this Evo is the British version with 300hp motor and not exactly equivalent with US Evo or the MR as described in the pre-release stories, which may suffer in power/speed comparison with the STI.

Program is repeated this Thurs (9/23) at 6.30 AM Eastern and Sat (9/25) at 6.00 AM Eastern

Also, afpdl, I have to take issue with your comment: "The 03 us evo will probably be bit more of a drivers car then the mr, the addition of computer controlled active diffs tends to numb up the experiance a bit and more is left up to the car not the driver." I think every reviewer has come to the opposite conclusion, citing the active center diff as one of the things that improves the handling and sets the Evo apart from the opposition (including STI). Remember that the reason US Evos don't have it isn't because Mitsu want you to have more of a "driver's car" but because it's expensive. It's addition in the Evo MR is one of the reasons that the MR's estimated price is >35K. But if that seems steep, consider that the cars featured on Fifth Gear cost $48,400 (STI) and $51,995 (Evo) at today's exchange rate!!
    All '05 EVO's get the active center diff. The only upgrades on the MR are the aluminum roof, vortex generators at the trailing edge of the roof, 6 speed transmission, and different shocks and wheels.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Fourdoor
    All '05 EVO's get the active center diff. The only upgrades on the MR are the aluminum roof, vortex generators at the trailing edge of the roof, 6 speed transmission, and different shocks and wheels.

Keith
    Do they also get a limited slip diff in the front? What will the standard evos cost?
    Alex

Arrow

Test drive them both because all your opinions will differ.

The evo handles better than a STi stock, and thats a fact. The evo can be made faster with less money; the evo has a clutch that will have to be replaced if you drag your car a good amount.

The tuning potential of the STi is limited on the stock turbo. A stage II vishnu STi ran a 11.8 @ the track recently, which is darn impressive. The fit and finish is better in the subbie, and the boxer rumble is kick-ass.

I personally would purchase the 05 evo because it is easier to extract power from the stock turbo, handles better, and is just more fun to drive than an STi.

You can't go wrong with either car, good luck in your decision.

MJT
    Either you got a wicked jump shot or you're slinging crack rock, so I went the white-boy way of selling crack rock. I decided to become a stock broker.

Addicted to boost...

Quote Originally Posted by afpdl
    Do they also get a limited slip diff in the front? What will the standard evos cost?
    29, XXX-30,XXX.
    Either you got a wicked jump shot or you're slinging crack rock, so I went the white-boy way of selling crack rock. I decided to become a stock broker.

Addicted to boost...

Quote Originally Posted by Streetrcrm5
    29, XXX-30,XXX.
    And yes, they get the limited slip front diff.

Keith

The Evo MR isn't worth the money for what you get over a regular 05 model. The only added bits over an 05 RS are the 6-speed, Bilstein shocks, and the forged BBS wheels.
    The MSRP is around 35k, almost 10k more than an RS . The 05 Evos have a slightly bigger exhaust housing on the turbo, front LSD, and ACD, so they should perform substantially better than the earlier models. Anyway, forget about what the magazines say- drive both cars and see what you think. I drove both and found them evenly matched stock for stock, but the Evo had a little bit more utility (bigger backseats) and a much better aftermarket, so I went for it.
    Evo-NY #026
    363 whp 377 torque
    12.2 @ 110.8

Like I said the RS looks like a way way better buy.
    Alex

The backseat is sooo much roomier in an evo.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ilivas
    The backseat is sooo much roomier in an evo.
    Wait...our cars have back seats????
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by RollinThunder
    hey guys I currently own a mustang but will b trading it in cuz I need a car that I can drive all year round...so I was wondering if u guys could help me out...in ur opinion which is the better car the evo mr or the sti...what r the pro's and con's of both cars...like I said I really need ur guys opinions b/c I dont kno that much about both cars...thanks in advance
    All i have to say......EVO MR
    ANd its true there is not much more on the MR, if budget is a problem get an 05Evo
    Last edited by Miguel_04_WRX; 09-25-2004 at 08:01 PM.
    2005 Electric Blue Mitsubishi Evolution VIII,
    2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    Helix Catback
    Helix Downpipe
    Ultimate Racing test pipe
    Txs Mbc
    Greddy Type-s bov

www.myspace.com/evil_evo_viii
    www.mitsubishiunited.com
    2004 Subaru Wrx-Sold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.