Big stupid diesel truck vs. STi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Big stupid diesel truck vs. STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving home from work, cruising in the slow lane of the freeway, when this big, brand new silver ...

Big stupid diesel truck vs. STi

I was driving home from work, cruising in the slow lane of the freeway, when this big, brand new silver supersized pickup truck does a hillbilly fly-by and then drops back, and pulls up along side me. His truck sounds pretty cool, BRRRR, BRRRRRRRR, but thick black smoke belches out of what looked to be at least a 5" exhaust tip with each blip of the throttle. There's this queer guy leaning out the backseat supercab window, waving me along, trying desperately to get me to run. I ignored him for about a mile until I just said poop it, and dropped into 4th and mashed it.

Suddenly, more black smoke than the little engine that could had ever produced blasted out the back of him, blotting out the sun which was in my rearview mirror within about three seconds. I had plenty of space and speed to pull in front of him and watch as the black cloud behind the truck seemed to eclipse the truck making the mess, which got smaller and smaller, and finally the smoke stopped belching as the truck gave up with a pathetic anti-climax about 30 cars behind me.

I slowed down, but he slowed down-er, and never came within ten car-lengths. He was teh loser and now his truckload of buddies knew it, too. If only I could have heard the convo they had at that point.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sux to lose with teh friends in the truck. his fault for picking on an sti though

him = 0wn3d
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    What a moron. I mean, I can understand him trying to race if his truck was actually fast--and there are some real fast diesel trucks--, but he probably just had an exhaust.

Oh well.

You know, I thought he'd be a lot quicker, because the only other time I raced a big truck was this dude in a "Duramax" something something with propane injection. He told me all about it before we ran, but it was greek to me, and I just thought "pfft, whateva dood" and ran him. I was being all easy when he just blew my doors off. I slapped my WTF face on and lined up at a second light and said, "Ok, no more playing around this time." He was laughing his ass off. So we go, and I was A-freaking-mazed at this thing's ability to hold at my rear bumper. I finally squeeked about 3/4 of a car ahead before he shut down. I couldn't believe it. He congratulated me cause he said "Until now, I was the fastest in town." I told him he still was since I wasn't from 'round these parts, LOL.

But ever since then, I tend to let the big trucks go. Never know what they have going on. Not that I lost yet, but still. I was happy to have wasted this last truck, but I bet he goes and gets himself a chip and propane, then comes looking for round two.

Propane is to a diesel as nitrous is to a gas engine.
    And most of these engines in these trucks have huge potential for more power. A simple chip can put 90 horsepower to the duramax without changing another part. They have the turbos and pumps turned down. Turn them up and them babies can haul the mail! And they don't care if there are ten people in the truck. Torque, torque, torque.

I Support ClubWRX
    Heavily modified diesels are cool. However, lots of mulleted yahoos (like the one who raced the STi and lost) think that having 500lb./ft. means a fast truck. Most of the diesels are agonizingly slow in stock or lightly modified form.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Re: Big stupid diesel truck vs. STi

Originally posted by wonderspark
    ...when this big, brand new silver supersized pickup truck does a hillbilly fly-by...

My buddy has a 2000 Dodge regular cab pickup with the Cummings diesel. It's heavily modified (injectors, intake, bigger turbo, 5" exhaust, etc) and puts out well over 1,000 ft/lbs of torque and over 450 hp. I've driven it several times and it accelerates from 30 mph like it's been hit from behind by a freight train. He's been bugging me for a race- I said only from a standstill, preferably in the rain.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

My favorite comanche indian is back. I was just up your way not too long ago.
    Another thing that really works on the big trucks is converter work. That can make those babies fly.

Originally posted by Wannabe
    My favorite comanche indian is back. I was just up your way not too long ago.
    Another thing that really works on the big trucks is converter work. That can make those babies fly.
    What were you doing in Maine? He has the transmission rebuilt/modified as well.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

I actually slipped down into NewHampshire to by a dynomometer. It is getting shipped to the door as we type. Interesting place up there. Good seafood. And expensive in the upper portions of Mass. But they made up for it all in having a gutless rental car. And the rental car had no converter work done to it.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    good kill
    2003 SRT-4

I think I've seen some 11 sec duallys @ Bandi.

pretty cool hugh?
    Eric K.
    04 WRX SportWagon SPM 67,000 mi
    99 2.5 RS Aspen White 156,722 mi Total Loss
    53 Porsche Speedster white 7600mi
    replicar

Be careful with diesels guys!! Record for least mods to best time is TTC extreme tune, converter, transgo tranny mods, exhaust, and maybe intake and it ran a 12.87!! Single cab 4wd diesel(duramax) truck. Oh, and you can get a chip to give you up to 200whp now and around 450wtq ADDED if the trans will hold up to it.

PS. Dad might be getting a DMax truck and I have been researching on them.

Richard
    Car for sale for 13,500 with 60k on the car an 18k on the motor/tranny(Silver Sedan with 5spd)

Nice kill. Just seen a vid of a full sized dodge diesel doing 10.9 @ 130 MPH. Some of those things can move.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast