Hillclimb with a Porsche Carrera 4S…..drove an outback XT and a 350Z
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hillclimb with a Porsche Carrera 4S…..drove an outback XT and a 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Im on my way back from Breckinridge last labor day weekend and I get to the crappy traffic part of ...

Hillclimb with a Porsche Carrera 4S…..drove an outback XT and a 350Z

Im on my way back from Breckinridge last labor day weekend and I get to the crappy traffic part of I-70 just below the tunnel heading east bound and I get stuck behind this carrera 4S (not sure what year but it had to be early 2000s) with a 40-50 year old guy driving…….i was stuck behind him for ~20 miles driving 5-10 MPH until Floyd hill….he started showing off by dropping the top and then smiling at me and reving a few times….which I thought was cool so I reved and we did that a few times….we finally come up to floyd hill and the left lane opens up….this is were I was in third gear ~50 MPH and we both stomped on it and I stayed even with him untill 90mph were we both had to shift (lots of black smoke crapped out of his exhaust) and then we both hit the first corner and he mashed the brakes like a little girl to slow to 60mph….after that he got out of the way and gave me a dirty look as I passed him….

As for the 350Z I test drove at the dealer I was disappointed in general….the thing corned and turned well but acceleration was just not what I expected….sure the sweet power surge when you hit the gas peddle is so much better than a stock WRX but the farther you get in the RPM range is feels like its loosing more and more power (felt like it took forever to hit 60)….although 4th and 5th gear felt better than 1,2 3rd…..
    i would trade my WRX in for the styling of the Z but that’s about it….

Now the new outback XT was sweet (for my wife NOT me) I was super surprised with how much pick up that thing had…from a roll that car has got to be faster than a stock WRX (2.5 liter BUT what turbo do they have???)…and the interior in my opinion was very well done if you like leather seats, sunroofs and lush styling….might be my wife’s next car either that or the turbo legacy
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

very cool..... I am suprised you didnt like the acceleration of the Z... many wrx owners like it because of the instant tq and throttle response of the vq35 V6
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

i don't get what you mean by early 2000 C4S. There's only 2 C4S, either it's the 996 C4S or a old 993 C4S.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

like i said im not sure what year it was but i figured it was new....so sometime in 2000-2005 (if they were made then)...any idea what kind of numbers they put down???? i figured on a 3rd gear pull the thing would have made me look stupid
    COBB stg II

I'm no expert but they've been making some variation on the C4 since the late 80s/early 90s. They make something like 280-300hp (depending on the year) and 0-60 in the low 5s, tops about 160 or more...

I had a similar experience recently with a red 'vette. I was overtaking a line of slower cars uphill on the freeway when he jumps out of the line right in front of me. I could hear his exhaust, he was really pushing it, but I hung on his tail. Then it started to get twisty and he backed off and pulled back in. I just went on my merry way. The funny bit was his license plate surround: it said "Porsches for breakfast, Ferraris for lunch". Tried a little Scooby for afternoon snack and choked

Originally posted by jugger
    like i said im not sure what year it was but i figured it was new....so sometime in 2000-2005 (if they were made then)...any idea what kind of numbers they put down???? i figured on a 3rd gear pull the thing would have made me look stupid
    the 996 C4S should have around 320hp and they looks like the 996 Turbo without the rear wing. TQ around 280-290.

the 993 C4S has around 285-290hp and it also looked like the 993 Turbo w/o rear wing. TQ around 260-270.

the 964 C4 only had about 250hp. No idea how much torque it was making.

the 996 and 993 are under 5 second 0-60 while the 964 needs a bit more around 5.2-5.3 second.

thanks for the numbers...this one had a rear wing that raised up when he got up to speed....not sure if that helps
    COBB stg II

Re: Hillclimb with a Porsche Carrera 4S…..drove an outback XT and a 350Z

As for the 350Z I test drove at the dealer I was disappointed in general….the thing corned and turned well but acceleration was just not what I expected….sure the sweet power surge when you hit the gas peddle is so much better than a stock WRX but the farther you get in the RPM range is feels like its loosing more and more power (felt like it took forever to hit 60)….although 4th and 5th gear felt better than 1,2 3rd…..
    i would trade my WRX in for the styling of the Z but that’s about it….

You probably feel this way because you are too used to driving a boosted car. The 350z's power is linear since its n/a. I felt the same way as you after i got my G35c. I was so used to having a turbo, that when i got my G35 i thought it was slow. Now i think differently.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

I believe the 2000 model is a 996 carrera.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Re: Hillclimb with a Porsche Carrera 4S…..drove an outback XT and a 350Z

Now the new outback XT was sweet (for my wife NOT me) I was super surprised with how much pick up that thing had…from a roll that car has got to be faster than a stock WRX (2.5 liter BUT what turbo do they have???)…and the interior in my opinion was very well done if you like leather seats, sunroofs and lush styling….might be my wife’s next car either that or the turbo legacy

it is faster, C&D got 14.xx at 96 mph. Not bad in the test the TSX came in number 1 and i think volvo S40 came in 2nd then then the legacy GT came in 3rd then the A4 came in last

didnt make sense though because they tested the base engine while they tested the better engines on all the other test cars.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

thanks for the numbers...this one had a rear wing that raised up when he got up to speed....not sure if that helps
    lol...it doesn't because all the 911 since 964 (the 964, 993, and 996) all have rear wing that raise up at 45mph.

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    You probably feel this way because you are too used to driving a boosted car. The 350z's power is linear since its n/a. I felt the same way as you after i got my G35c. I was so used to having a turbo, that when i got my G35 i thought it was slow. Now i think differently.
    yeah you might be right or they gave me the one that always gets beatn on by test drives....you could smell some weird smells coming from the car when we got back to the dealer....like i said i love the styling and the immediate throttle response
    COBB stg II

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.