Contour...WTH????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Contour...WTH???? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was just farting around during lunch today, Had the AC on just enjoying myself. I'm on a fairly desolate ...

Contour...WTH????

I was just farting around during lunch today, Had the AC on just enjoying myself. I'm on a fairly desolate back road just enjoying the scenery and two little Rboys in a mazda 3 with HUGE aluminum wing and typical 5" fart can decide to toy with me, goosing it past me, revving as they pass me, you know the bit. I just ignored them for a while but it got old VERY quick. We got side by side at a light and I hear this ferocious rev, but it didn't sound like it the mazda an it didn't sound like it came from beside me. I look in my rear view mirror and there's what seems to be a ford contour behind me, and NOTHING else anywhere. The light turns and the 3 chirps his tires, I get a beautiful launch dealing out the mazda so fast it wasn't even funny, but this freaking contour is two cars behind me and isn't falling behind an inch, I let off at 60 and just coasted for a few. The contour gets next to me and is just grinning. We hit the next light and he revs, holy crap did that thing sound mean, but WTH it's a contour. Well as it usually happens when I'm against something interesting my foot is shaking bad. The light turns and I get an ok launch, nothing breath taking but enough to yank a half car on him, but that's it. Through second he stays right at my rear door and shifts just slightly before me, and we end up in the exact same place, through second he's not gaining at all, but not losing an inch, then he goes to third and shortly after I do as well and finally I'm slowly creeping on him. I got him at my bumper the let off because I saw traffic about a half mile up and homey don't play in traffic. He comes up next to me nodding and gives a great big thumbs up soI return it and we part ways. When he passed me to get in the turn lane, I noticed was an SVT badge, and a NICE rear valence with some meaty looking twin exhaust.

Right now I only have maddad twindump dp, maddad 3ce, helix up, gpmoto silencer delete(I was hoping to hear more of the turbo, I love the whine, but it's barely audible still), perrin AF, and a cobb AP running CA 91 stg 2 map on an 05 wagon.(I have a few other toys in boxes, but no time lately) I was surprised that this thing kept with me like that, I had no idea there was such a thing as a quick contour. I'm sure it didn't help that it was currently 101° and I'm sure I was heatsoaked pretty bad from just farting around, but I left the 3 exactly as I was expecting, the contour surprised the hell out of me, and I was thankful he was cool enough to give the thumbs up.
    an 05 wrx wagon with a few mods and an 06 G35 sedan with none.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ya..wow, dont know what to say. Maybe he was highly moded? Im sure its possible, maybe someone here knows more about contours?
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

i do know there was a sport version of the contour...i dont know jack about it but i thought they were sharp.

definately a few years old and you definately werent seeing things.

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/puff.html
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

this should help you a lil.. they are quick cars......

Year 1999
    Powertrain Layout FF
    Make Ford Base Price $23200
    Model SVT Contour Production 6535
    Engine & Transmission Body / Chassis
    Configuration Duratec V6 Weight 1374 kg / 3029 lbs
    Valvetrain DOHC Length 4671 mm / 183.9 in
    Displacement 2537 cc / 154.8 cu in Width 1755 mm / 69.1in
    Power 149.1 kw / 199.9 bhp @ 6600 rpm Height 1387 mm / 54.6 in
    Torque 229.13 nm / 169.0 ft lbs @ 5500 rpm Wheelbase 2705 mm / 106.5 in
    Bhp / Liter 78.79 bhp per litre Front Track 1503.7 mm / 59.2 in
    Bore 82.4 mm / 3.2 in Rear Track 1485.9 mm / 58.5 in
    Stroke 79 mm / 3.1 in Steering rack and pinion, power assist
    Redline 6750 Body / Frame steel/steel
    Transmission Type 5-speed manual Front Brakes vented disc
    1st Gear Ratio 3.06 Front Brake Size 278 mm / 10.9 in
    2nd Gear Ratio 2.14 Rear Brakes vented disc
    3rd Gear Ratio 1.45 Rear Brake Size 251 mm / 9.9 in
    4th Gear Ratio 1.03 Front Wheels 41 x 17 cm / 16.1 x 6.7 in
    5th Gear Ratio 0.77 Rear Wheels 41 x 17 cm / 16.1 x 6.7 in
    6th Gear Ratio Not Available Front Tires BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW, 215/50ZR-16
    Final Drive Ratio 4.06 Rear Tires BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW, 215/50ZR-16
    Performance
    Top Speed 230.1 kph / 143.0 mph 0 - 60 mph 6.9
    0 - quarter mile 15.4@ 91 mph 0 - 100 mph 19.1
    Lateral Acceleration 0.86 EPA City/Hwy 29 mpg
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Re: Contour...WTH????

Originally posted by illusion
    I was just farting around during lunch today, Had the AC on just enjoying myself. I'm on a fairly desolate back road just enjoying the scenery and two little Rboys in a mazda 3 with HUGE aluminum wing and typical 5" fart can decide to toy with me, goosing it past me, revving as they pass me, you know the bit. I just ignored them for a while but it got old VERY quick. We got side by side at a light and I hear this ferocious rev, but it didn't sound like it the mazda an it didn't sound like it came from beside me. I look in my rear view mirror and there's what seems to be a ford contour behind me, and NOTHING else anywhere. The light turns and the 3 chirps his tires, I get a beautiful launch dealing out the mazda so fast it wasn't even funny, but this freaking contour is two cars behind me and isn't falling behind an inch, I let off at 60 and just coasted for a few. The contour gets next to me and is just grinning. We hit the next light and he revs, holy crap did that thing sound mean, but WTH it's a contour. Well as it usually happens when I'm against something interesting my foot is shaking bad. The light turns and I get an ok launch, nothing breath taking but enough to yank a half car on him, but that's it. Through second he stays right at my rear door and shifts just slightly before me, and we end up in the exact same place, through second he's not gaining at all, but not losing an inch, then he goes to third and shortly after I do as well and finally I'm slowly creeping on him. I got him at my bumper the let off because I saw traffic about a half mile up and homey don't play in traffic. He comes up next to me nodding and gives a great big thumbs up soI return it and we part ways. When he passed me to get in the turn lane, I noticed was an SVT badge, and a NICE rear valence with some meaty looking twin exhaust.

Right now I only have maddad twindump dp, maddad 3ce, helix up, gpmoto silencer delete(I was hoping to hear more of the turbo, I love the whine, but it's barely audible still), perrin AF, and a cobb AP running CA 91 stg 2 map on an 05 wagon.(I have a few other toys in boxes, but no time lately) I was surprised that this thing kept with me like that, I had no idea there was such a thing as a quick contour. I'm sure it didn't help that it was currently 101° and I'm sure I was heatsoaked pretty bad from just farting around, but I left the 3 exactly as I was expecting, the contour surprised the hell out of me, and I was thankful he was cool enough to give the thumbs up.

Even before reading your post I knew it was a Contour SVT that you had encountered. Yes, there are quick Contours and <gasp> Tauruses (SHO). They will edge out the SVT in a straight line, but the SVT owns in the twisties.
    2004 WRX

It was really really(I feel like saying really a few more times, but you get the point) Nice sounding. Just downright mean, it had the cackle of a catless car when he was revving it, and a real nice tone. It was pretty nice looking also, the body kit on it looked good, and the twin pipes looked like they belonged on it. It was black, with pitch black windows, and his wheels looked like 5Zigen FN01Rs.

I had fun putting a cocky pre 99 mustang owner in place over the weekend and was feeling pretty good about myself until this damn contour. I suppose it's a worthy opponent, but my grandmother has a contour(sadly she really does) and I have this horrid mental image of my grandma rowing the gears and layng waste to me. I'm going to have nightmares for weeks.

I'm going to go hide under the covers some more. Thankfully I didn't slack or he definately would have molested me.

I've known of one Contour SVT that was damn quick, but that was before I had my Rex so it's hard to make a comparison. All I know is they can be fast when modded correctly, and it sounds like this one was. If it wasn't a Ford I'd be all over it - there weren't many fast sedans before the WRX.

SVT contours can be made very fast. you can do a 3.0 liter swap to get to about 180-190 to the wheels then you can get the turbo kit which will put you at almost 300, only problem is lack of traction so they arnt fast off the line
    dont have a wrx.......yet
    I dont care how many stewerdesses you've bagged I still think your a lousy pilot ( if you know what show thats from i owe you a cookie)
    Onion horoscope of the week:Pisces: (Feb. 19—March 20)
    The stars foretell your life continuing in much the way it always has for the next few months.

Could be SVT, probably very highly modded. I've outrun SVT Contours with my PT before, so mods would be necessary to take a WRX (especially since they are supposed to have 200 hp stock).

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Why are you only running Stg1? With a downpipe and stock catback you can run stg2.

Originally posted by scott144
    Why are you only running Stg1? With a downpipe and stock catback you can run stg2.
    I'm not , I'm running "CA 91 stg 2 map" california crap gas 91 octane stage 2 map Although as of about 30 minutes ago I'm running the 93 octane HWG map with 5 gallons of 100 octane and the rest CA crap 91. It's surprisingly noticeable, especially how it doesn't yank timing just because it's too hot outside(5pm and still 97° bleck!)
    Last edited by illusion; 09-07-2004 at 05:35 PM.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    SVT contours are sweet cars.
    2003 SRT-4

SVT contours are pretty nice cars.... they stopped making them because they were the biggest POS's and fell apart easily, but the idea behind them was very cool.

the 98' contour had 200hp and something like 230tq. It had pretty good top end because of the highly tuned V6 and the trans was not bad at all. They normally would run anywhere from a 14.8-15.3 depending on the driver. It could definatly give a stock rex a run for its money from a roll, but he must have been VERY modded to keep up with a catless rex with AP. you are probably running mid 13's easily. for him to stay a few cars back, he was probably a low 14sec car..... which was very possible with these.

my uncles friend had one with some handling mods (handled very well) and other mods were (short throw, catback, headers, pulleys, and wheels) I cant remember what his best run was, but some of his runs were 14.6 and 14.4. So if this guy was running those mods with a shot of nitrous that would explain it... I also think there may have been a s/c put out for the car
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Check out this thread...some interesting information from a Contour SVT owner.

Thread!

Originally posted by joethesajin
    SVT contours can be made very fast. you can do a 3.0 liter swap to get to about 180-190 to the wheels then you can get the turbo kit which will put you at almost 300, only problem is lack of traction so they arnt fast off the line
    Which 3.0 liter is used for the swap? I wonder why they just don't go with the 3.2.........
    2004 WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast