How does a JDM ver 7 sti compare to USDM ver 8 sti?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How does a JDM ver 7 sti compare to USDM ver 8 sti? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm asking because my ver 7 swap is almost done, just gotta wait for new wheels that clear my brembos ...

How does a JDM ver 7 sti compare to USDM ver 8 sti?

I'm asking because my ver 7 swap is almost done, just gotta wait for new wheels that clear my brembos to come in and tie up some loose ends.

I'm just wondering how the two would compare. The US sti is quoted to have more hp, but from what I gather, the ver 7/8 are underrated.

JDM sti ver 7 motor w/ vf30
    sti 6 speed, no DCCD

I'll see if I can get to the track later (might be a while, I'm in school and have higher priorites) and see what happens in real life.
    - Capt Crunch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you hook up the AVCS?

You have more rev's, and a gearbox that will keep you in your powerband compared to a stock WRX box. Of course, a usdm STi gearbox is also quite close ratio, although 5th and 6th are generally taller than the jdm 6 speed (I'd take the jdm ratios, personally).

About the biggest advantage is your forged internals, and proven EJ207 powerplant. The EJ257 has seen over a year of service, but is still questionable in terms of big power potential. The EJ257's biggest advantage is the extra displacement and compression for nice low end grunt versus the EJ207's lag. If I had your set up I would run a Green at ~24 psi daily on 94 octane, and probably 2+ bar on race fuel.
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

You'll be as fast as him from a roll, he might take you SLIGHTLY on a launch until the beginning of third gear where you'll even out and maybe slightly pull. His car runs out of breath big time because that vf39 is SOOO small for a 2.5 liter. If you have the avcs hooked up, run the car out to 8k RPM you'll definately have a driveline advantage and be able to keep your nose out just slightly. Any amount of tuning and your car will be capable of much more because of it's aggressive valvetrain and forged internals.

Good luck, I agree with the idea about the FP Green too, btw...

Yeah, I intended to get some of that stuff, but my $2500 buffer was completely depleted. Next year

AVCS is completely hooked up, I think for my future power goals, a 1820 clone, aps fmic, and a hydra ecu should be enough.

Thanks for the help guys.
    - Capt Crunch

If you are running the stock v7 ecu I think you may loose. It will be very close like the others said. I've never ran a v7 swap but I did run an evo that weighed about the same as your car and should be close to the same power as a v.7 motor. I put 6 cars on him from 40mph. He had a TBE running 20psi. The evos turbo is bigger than a vf30. And I third the comments on the big greenie.

my $0.02

Fess
    05 STi Silver/Silver Goodness!

I have a reflashed ver 7 ecu from kingpin. Do their reflashes try to get more power, or just get the car working on 93? I bought the ecu secondhand.
    - Capt Crunch

well, reading your sig you say you have a v7 RA Spec-C which has a vf34, not a vf30, and also uses MUCH more aggressive cams than a USDM STi, so up top if you can out drive him you'll pull slightly. As far as putting 6 cars on an evo...if your USDM STi can do this, it is far from stock so making that comparison is not really fair since you're modded and he's talking about stock for stock.

Just for reference...

~Tim

Originally posted by Timdog1650
    well, reading your sig you say you have a v7 RA Spec-C which has a vf34, not a vf30, and also uses MUCH more aggressive cams than a USDM STi, so up top if you can out drive him you'll pull slightly. As far as putting 6 cars on an evo...if your USDM STi can do this, it is far from stock so making that comparison is not really fair since you're modded and he's talking about stock for stock.

Just for reference...

~Tim
    Sorry man, I'm 100% stock, no BS here. Race was from a roll, 40-155mph, 6 cars I put on him. All he has is a TBE, no safc or any tuning. I have video to prove it. If thats not normal I guess I got a factory freak. I'll have to find someone to host the vid.

Fess
    Last edited by 1fastsubie; 09-07-2004 at 07:55 PM.

I mean, I'm not calling BS on your kill, but honestly...in a flat drag race the evo is not gonna get dusted by 6 car lengths...it's just simple mathematics. I know/understand/agree that ANYTHING can happen on the street, that's why I dont think it's BS, but to relate this to the topic of the thread, if this guy lines up with a USDM STi, it's going to be very close or go to him just because of the engine setups.

btw...if you got vid, POST IT!!!

I'm working on it. It's not like its a great vid or anything, just tells the story. And I'm sure like I said above, it would be a very close race with a USDM and his setup.. I guess it is just me but 6 cars from 40-155 mph is a close run in my book, thats over a 30 second race! What I don't get is, I only pulled 1 car through my 3rd gear, then another in 4th, it wasn't untill 120mph that I pulled harder on him. I did ask him if he stayed in it the whole time and he said yes.

Fess

seriously....anything can happen on the street, it'd be interesting to have someone just spend all day racing a stock evo in their stock STi, from a roll, stop, 100mph roll, everything.... and just put all this "he's faster/i'm faster" stuff to bed, but otherwise good kill

~Tim

Originally posted by 1fastsubie
    I'm working on it. It's not like its a great vid or anything, just tells the story. And I'm sure like I said above, it would be a very close race with a USDM and his setup.. I guess it is just me but 6 cars from 40-155 mph is a close run in my book, thats over a 30 second race! What I don't get is, I only pulled 1 car through my 3rd gear, then another in 4th, it wasn't untill 120mph that I pulled harder on him. I did ask him if he stayed in it the whole time and he said yes.

Fess
    How is the evo's gearing past 120? Sti's run a six speed not the 5 spd of the evo, that could explain pulling harder at higher speeds. And the JDM 6 speed have more agressive gearing than the USDM?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.