Mustang got WAXED... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Mustang got WAXED... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; BTW i love mustangs, especially fox body notchbacks, or 96-04 cobras... 2 valve motors are just boring...

BTW i love mustangs, especially fox body notchbacks, or 96-04 cobras... 2 valve motors are just boring
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    your not gonna run consistent 11's in just any blown or turbo GT stang... are you forgetting about the Tremec T5 base model that lies in the stangs... 350whp is all a stock tranny will hold before kablooey. Sure you can purchase a nice TKO , but that runs about a grand, and a nice Auburn or detroit locker also sets you back another 700 bucks or more.

Add 2 grand in trans parts and install combined, plus the expense of a Novi 1000, or 2000 blower, and were near 6 grand, dynoing about 400 wheel hp. If you wanna turbo it, it gets even pricier again... this will not net 11's on the street. Maybe on a perfect day @ the track, you could pull some 11.98's at a 112-117 range... eh.. looks pretty comparable to what you could get with

an Axis motor (3g's)
    Used 18g (1100 bucks)
    Kaaz gearset (3 grand)
    various supporting mods (IC, Injectors, etc)

maybe it takes a GT a few grand less to get 11's... but it aint gonna happen on the street as consistently as a DSM or AWD Suby.

ok first of all the transmission will hold that much power. Mine has done it with 14k+ miles and is doing perfectly at 400rwhp...i know others that have even more power and have had the car for longer and the transmission is just fine. and yes supercharger's are expensive..but 6 grand is WAY 2 much for one...and yes turbo's are much more expensive. I got my car used so no i didn't have to buy the car and then buy the supercharger as well. hey my car is still on it's stock motor w/o going into it at all, and is running perfectly with my tune + I got my car 4-5 grand cheaper used then a wrx. at the track is all that i'm talking about for the 11's...and low 12's...and on the street?? who cares. secondly racing on the street is just begging for you to get caught one day. and yes i know the 03 cobra's and the 90's gt's are really good as well. easy to make power and get low timeslips. i just think the 99+ style looks better IMO and not rich enough to afford an 03.
    P.S. 2 valves are not boring...get in my car and say it's boring...most likely you'll go
    2001 GT Mustang - Supercharged, 351RWHP...352RWTQ-old #'s
    Newest Numbers 401RWHP 392RWTQ..and tomorrow it will be higher

Man...I nuke one ******* in a Mustang, a few people comment on them, and suddenly we all hate Mustangs and feel superior? Guess I was away too long...I guess I missed something.

If a Mustang whistles around here, the driver wants to hear some tunes. I don't care what they sound like. An ******* is an *******, no matter what car he drives, whether fast or slow. If it was a Geo Metro, he's still an *******, just a lot slower than the Mustang GT. Had I been in my PT, I would have had a guy behaving like an ******* while driving a Mustang GT...and in that case, he would have been faster than me. So what?

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Chill out...just trying to stand up for the 2valve mustangs..that's all. Don't have to go all psycho!!

Originally posted by SQ Stang
    Chill out...just trying to stand up for the 2valve mustangs..that's all. Don't have to go all psycho!!
    Didn't. Simply observing your statements and boasting. Don't have to go all psycho.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

6 grand is what i figured for the WRX to go elevens. but daily driving with that much power is asking for a shredded T-5 transmission, i know because ive done a fair amount of research on Borg & Warner, Tremec, and other OEM transmission models... Ive seen 4 T-5's split open with busted shift forks, broken 2nd and third gears, and LSD's out back that have seen much better days.

Guys with TVR's encounter the same issue overseas, with the weak T5... it isnt WRX weak... but its not built to hold boatloads of power.

And im not saying that 2valve mustangs are slow... they are just unrefined. The 4V motor is much nicer, smoother, revs higher, and has less reciprocating mass. Its what the SVT owners get when they "pony up" for the premium goods. Its like the difference between an 2.5RS motor (SOHC), and the EJ20 (DOHC).

+ The T56 is a much much more capable transmission

The s/c 2 Valve motors make 400 at the wheels, aggressively. A mildy tuned cobra with new pully and diablo chip can dyno 50hp more than that! The same reason i look up to the STi as a WRX owner...

If a (456whp cobra) can run mid high elevens, im sure it would be tough for a 400whp GT to do the same feat repeatedly.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

yeah..right now i'm just saving what i can during my college years, and save up for a cobra when i get my first job. just want to have some good ole speed and fun till then. and the only thing i can say about the 456 cobra running 11's and the GT..is that we are lighter than the 03+ cobra's. so takes us a little less power to get the times+ we have a solid rear end (no IRS)...they just make a lot more power ALOT easier than us. but hey it's all cool..

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4

The s/c 2 Valve motors make 400 at the wheels, aggressively. A mildy tuned cobra with new pully and diablo chip can dyno 50hp more than that! The same reason i look up to the STi as a WRX owner...

If a (456whp cobra) can run mid high elevens, im sure it would be tough for a 400whp GT to do the same feat repeatedly.
    Now that the problem with the returnless fuel system is a thing of the past (sort of), a lot of 2v GT's are safely getting 420-450 rwhp with an intercooler and a good tune. I'm at 455 rwhp with my 2v GT with 100+ mid-high 11s/120 mph passes at the drag strip, and it drives, idles and revs perfectly (the tune is very important).

The solid axle and lighter weight of the GT's are actually better for drag racing than the Cobra set-up. There are a lot of Cobra guys getting rid of their IRS and swithing to a GT rear end. I would stick to the GT if all I wanted was 11's, but I'd opt for the Cobra if I wanted to reach the 10's.

I agree with your statement about the GT's being unrefined. I also drive an Evo and a WRX. To me all three cars are different and each have their own unique charm. In terms of going fast in a straight line, the GT is probably the best platform to work with.

Someone said something about seeing more posts of stock WRX's beating modded GT's than visa-versa. Well I can tell you from experience that it's much more of a thrill when my Evo or WRX beats a V8 stang or camaro, than when my blown GT beats an Evo or Sti, with 200 less hp. The former stories are much more likely to reach these boards.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

6 grand is what i figured for the WRX to go elevens. but daily driving with that much power is asking for a shredded T-5 transmission, i know because ive done a fair amount of research on Borg & Warner, Tremec, and other OEM transmission models... Ive seen 4 T-5's split open with busted shift forks, broken 2nd and third gears, and LSD's out back that have seen much better days.
    The T-5 tranny was used for the 5.0 mustangs. The earlier modulars used a T-45 and 2001+ mustangs use a TR-3650 transmission (same as 1999, 2001 cobras). The TR-3650 is made to handle 360 ft.Lbs of torque. http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TR-3650.asp

The only thing your going to shread is the rear axel with slicks. But there's a lot of fixes for that.
    Mustang, 2002, Silver, GT, 5 SP
    View My Members Page

good information guys... And were all well aware that part breaking on the domestic drivelines usually doesnt occur on the street, but rather on 140 degree VHT laden Track surface...
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

My experience with the 2v (2001 GT) mustangs is this: Great exhaust note, ran a 14.4 on a slick track, and got better gas mileage than my STi.

unlike our Subaru's, Fords drivetrains are pretty tough (barring the Focus engine), so 400WHP is easy on the stock transmission and rear end.

I like anything fast. Don't really care if its a tubbed Pinto with a Cage and a 500 Caddy or a Civic with a Turbo'd H22.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12