05 Legacy GT vs. 05 STI

This is a discussion on 05 Legacy GT vs. 05 STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; okay i did a search and i found some info on what i'm lookin for in this comparison , but ...

05 Legacy GT vs. 05 STI

okay i did a search and i found some info on what i'm lookin for in this comparison , but not everything, so don't think i'm being lazy, jus want some info, so a help out could work

aight same engine, but why is the GT 250HP x 250LB-Torque, when the STI is 300 x 300???

all i could find is the bigger turbo on the STI it's a Vf33 or somethin like that, can't remember...and I know the STI has a 6-speed,..any other differences..and how much would a 6-speed conversion on a GT cost or would it jus be cheaper to get an STI???

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There are more differences than just the turbo between the STi and GT (in fact, I don't even know what turbo the GT has). The STi is rockin' a VF39.

Bottom line: for all out performance, get an STi. For very, very good performance with a healthy does of luxury, get the GT. The GT should be cheaper when all is said and done. Also the 5-speed in it should hold up just fine.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

the gt is tuned differently and has a slightly smaller turbo.. its suposed to be more of a luxury/ family/sport sedan while the sti is supposed to be a super sports performance car.. both are hot cars, i'd like both =) but my moneys on the sti.. the gt would make 1 helluva sleeper tho

6 speed conversion....5k for the tranny alone+ supporting parts and labor...just get the STI if you wan't all out performance.

aight i feel you on that, 5k plus labor, damn i got a mechanic who gives me good prices but damn, jus 5k alone JUST for a 6-speed tranny is a swift kick in arse from a steel toe boot, OUCH MY MY MY MY.....

yea the GT fully done wit a bigger turbo and someother work would be a mean sleeper though, ..does anybody know if the hood from a GT would fit on a STI?? cus i like the more low profile hood scoop

I Support ClubWRX
    They're a completely different shape, I think. You'd be better of getting an FMIC and a reverse hood scoop on an STi. It would be pricey, but stealth.

And yeah, $5k for a 6-speed is not a good investment, IMO - unless you're planning something very outrageously expensive and unique.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I just purchased a legacy gt and yes it's a sleeper.
    It's kind a like the adult sports car with all the bells and whistles. I got the auto trans with shifting on the wheel. Very fun. Now I'm going to trick it out into a real sleeper.
    Cobbs stage 2 supposedly 310hp!!!

Legacy GT 05
    The older I get the faster I was!

Legacy GT has the wrx td04 turbo and the sti has the larger IHI vf39 turbo
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

I have a 05 sti and my wife is planning on getting an 05 legacy gt. The best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by hellafastWRX
    Legacy GT has the wrx td04 turbo and the sti has the larger IHI vf39 turbo
    false.

the legacy has a vf40.

the intake manifold is different, the turbo compressor housing is different, and a bunch of other things, but those are the main engine differences.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

And the turbo is still too damn small to do anything with. Subaru gave it the smallest turbo possible that would hold stock boost (13 psi) to redline. Unfortunately, that's all it will hold to redline.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

interesting my WRX will hold 15.5 till redline after reflash though, stock it will not hold even 13.5 till red, it started to drop at 6.3k
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by happasaiyan
    false.

the legacy has a vf40.

the intake manifold is different, the turbo compressor housing is different, and a bunch of other things, but those are the main engine differences.
    Right on with this stuff. There were rumors that cams and internal bits might be different but some engine builder did a side by side of the STi motor parts and the legacies and found that the all the internals were the same. Even the manifold was the same but painted in red instead.

The flanges on the VF40 are different; like no other VF series so we're still waiting on different turbo options.

All in all theres a bit more tractability down low and the car goes when you want it. No need to downshift on the highway to pass, then again running it to redline is pretty futile. More low/mid range power than high.

KNOCK ON WOOD I havent heard of anybody crunching any gears in the five speed like on the WRX. I have both and they feel similar, but the LGT box just feels stronger. There is some kind of delay valve in the clutch to avoid dumping it. May be the reason for healthier boxes?

the instake is not the same on the LGT. It is made of plastic.

Fess
    05 STi Silver/Silver Goodness!