My Supra vs WRX
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on My Supra vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This took place over a year ago maybe close to two years ago but at the time i was driving ...

  1. #1
    Registered User elohdaeh78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Long Valley, NJ
    Posts
    706

    My Supra vs WRX

    This took place over a year ago maybe close to two years ago but at the time i was driving my 1988 turbo supra and since i have gotten a 2005 WRX so i figured i would post it. My supra could move pretty good it ran a best of 13.9@103 with poor traction and i only took it to the track two times so i am sure i could have improved my time with practice. I got into many many races with it and to give you an idea i pulled a car on a 1996 LT1 Camaro 6 speed from 0-65. THe camaro just had some stupid intake and was pretty much stock, but i got a poor launch and he took a car on me off the line but the supra started to reel him in and i was pulling on him very slighty until we shut down. So back to the race. I was driving down a two lane road one night and i got next to a LT1 Firebird, some white trash looking guy and his gf in the car, sounded pretty mean, we hit it from a 45mph roll which is where the supra would shine and i pulled away from him pretty easily. Probably pulled 2 cars on him from 45-75, as i was pulling away from him i see these bright blue lights behind me also flying by the firebird. I slow down and i notice a Blue WRX lowered with some nice rims and exhaust on it. He gives it a little gas and i can hear his bov. We get next to each other doing about 50mph, and we both push it. I am alone in the car he has someone else, he gets a slight jump on me off the bat so my nose is at his passenger door and from 50-100 it stays that way. It was the most rediculously even race i have ever been in. We came to a light and he asked me what i had and i told him the basics, boost controller, intake, exhaust, intercooler. He said he had pretty much the same thing, i told him nice race you would have killed me off the line, and we gave each other a wave and went on our ways. I saw him a few more times that summer and we would give each other a friendly wave. Really nice guy. That wrx was really fast.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC...too close to newark:(
    Posts
    423
    back in the day 95% the WRX owners were cool..friendly waves, honks, just an overly good attitude....

    but now knock that number to 5%


    glad you had a great experience!

  4. #3
    Registered User 2004SilverWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    196

    Re: My Supra vs WRX

    Originally posted by elohdaeh78
    It was the most rediculously even race i have ever been in. We came to a light and he asked me what i had and i told him the basics, boost controller, intake, exhaust, intercooler. He said he had pretty much the same thing, i told him nice race you would have killed me off the line, and we gave each other a wave and went on our ways. I saw him a few more times that summer and we would give each other a friendly wave. Really nice guy. That wrx was really fast.
    Nice race! The close ones really get you heart beating don't they? I had a super close race a few years back. I was in my 94 SHO, and I lined up next to a mid/late 90's Eclipse GST. The GST appeared stock (5 speed), as was my SHO at the time. The GST driver was probably in his early 40's. The light turns green and we both ease out and we hit it at the exact same time around 5-10mph. We were dead even, and we gave up 2 inches max on shifts. At 100 we were dead even and we let off at the same time. It was weird, we hit it and laid off at the same time. Needless to say we had ear to ear grins.
    2004 WRX

  5. #4
    Registered User 8urVTEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hampton...RT 78
    Posts
    158

    Re: Re: My Supra vs WRX

    tell me you didnt just brag about a race with your...SHO...

    Originally posted by 2004SilverWRX
    Nice race! The close ones really get you heart beating don't they? I had a super close race a few years back. I was in my 94 SHO, and I lined up next to a mid/late 90's Eclipse GST. The GST appeared stock (5 speed), as was my SHO at the time. The GST driver was probably in his early 40's. The light turns green and we both ease out and we hit it at the exact same time around 5-10mph. We were dead even, and we gave up 2 inches max on shifts. At 100 we were dead even and we let off at the same time. It was weird, we hit it and laid off at the same time. Needless to say we had ear to ear grins.
    and i love 91 supra turbos, white/white i love it...i love them
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

  6. #5
    Registered User elohdaeh78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Long Valley, NJ
    Posts
    706

    Re: Re: Re: My Supra vs WRX

    Originally posted by 8urVTEC
    tell me you didnt just brag about a race with your...SHO...



    and i love 91 supra turbos, white/white i love it...i love them
    Wanna buy my supra its for sale $2500 or best off, its got a blown headgasket lol, but it has thousands and thousands invested and plenty of new parts.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

  7. #6
    Registered User 2004SilverWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    196

    Re: Re: Re: My Supra vs WRX

    Originally posted by 8urVTEC
    tell me you didnt just brag about a race with your...SHO...

    Bragging? No, just telling a tale of a close race. Hey, don't laugh at what SHO's are capable of. 70 more horse than a 2000 B5 1.8T ya know? I used to have a 2001.5 170 hp 1.8T Passat. I'd put it's performance right with the SHO. Unfortunately 95% of the ones left just are not what they used to be. Many are running 100k+ without having their needed 60k maint. That makes them as quick as a Taurus SLO.
    2004 WRX

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    sheboygan, wi
    Posts
    55
    OT- I had a 89' SHO! I loved that car SLEEPER!

  9. #8
    Registered User AlboWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    157
    Originally posted by SLOW4EAT
    back in the day 95% the WRX owners were cool..friendly waves, honks, just an overly good attitude....

    but now knock that number to 5%


    glad you had a great experience!
    Ive noticed that too in the Chicago area.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Loyola University Chicago (gurnee too)
    Posts
    897
    dude did you have a light blue supra....cuz if that was you that was me in the rex....i had the problem with the uppipe. and was only making like 11 psi..... you where telling me your mods cuz i was surprised on the out come...if it wasnt you ive had the same close ass race with a supra. real cool guy.
    my R32 on CarDomain

    Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

  11. #10
    Registered User elohdaeh78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Long Valley, NJ
    Posts
    706
    Originally posted by ellinopedo182
    dude did you have a light blue supra....cuz if that was you that was me in the rex....i had the problem with the uppipe. and was only making like 11 psi..... you where telling me your mods cuz i was surprised on the out come...if it wasnt you ive had the same close ass race with a supra. real cool guy.
    Nope sorry i have a Maroon Supra and i live in NJ. The race happened on RT 10 in Roxbury/Ledgewood Area.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

  12. #11
    Registered User 8urVTEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hampton...RT 78
    Posts
    158

    Re: Re: Re: Re: My Supra vs WRX

    i will laugh at what SHO's are "capable" of, ...im sure the 1.8 is much more of a potent tuning platform...plus who the hell likes the way a taurus looks...
    Originally posted by 2004SilverWRX
    Bragging? No, just telling a tale of a close race. Hey, don't laugh at what SHO's are capable of. 70 more horse than a 2000 B5 1.8T ya know? I used to have a 2001.5 170 hp 1.8T Passat. I'd put it's performance right with the SHO. Unfortunately 95% of the ones left just are not what they used to be. Many are running 100k+ without having their needed 60k maint. That makes them as quick as a Taurus SLO.
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

  13. #12
    Registered User 2004SilverWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    196

    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Supra vs WRX

    Originally posted by 8urVTEC
    i will laugh at what SHO's are "capable" of, ...im sure the 1.8 is much more of a potent tuning platform...plus who the hell likes the way a taurus looks...


    Ok you ran a 15.1 with your mighty Passat.....that's exactly what the SHO does the 1/4 in according to Car and Driver. Well, judging by volume of sales...I would say quite a few. The Yamaha V6 is also quite tunable, and takes well to NOS, Superchargers and Turbos. Next time do a little research on the car you are laughing at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sho6x.jpg  
    2004 WRX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •