WRX (stock) vs S2000i - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX (stock) vs S2000i within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I stick with my last statement. There is no way a USDM S2000 gained 35 hp with just a catback......

I stick with my last statement. There is no way a USDM S2000 gained 35 hp with just a catback...
    2002 Blue WRX w/ Factory Body Kit

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe
    -BPM 3" Turbo Back Exhaust
    -Whiteline Front and Rear Strut Bar

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/70782887sLVXId

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by apodWRX
    I do have a question though...how come off the start we can pretty much take a mustang gt to the bank, but anything over 60 (starting at 60 or higher that is) they pull on us? I can't seem to beat a GT in that situation. haven't lost from a 0 mph start though.
    2 reasons that I can figure out. A perfect AWD launch is still superior to a perfect RWD launch. Also, I've studied the gearing on the WRX and the 1st and 2nd gear ratios are very high for a car with 217lb-ft torque. Usually you see high gear ratios like that on cars with low torque and high redlines because high gear ratios multiply torque at the expense of top speed (for that particular gear, I'm not talking top speed of the vehicle). This is probably because a lot of rally racing is done at lower speeds (compared to track racing) so the WRX is geared to accelerate better at low speeds than at high speeds.

Anyway, that is my best guess but it really is just that, a guess.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Originally posted by RSXSucks

2 reasons that I can figure out. A perfect AWD launch is still superior to a perfect RWD launch. Also, I've studied the gearing on the WRX and the 1st and 2nd gear ratios are very high for a car with 217lb-ft torque. Usually you see high gear ratios like that on cars with low torque and high redlines because high gear ratios multiply torque at the expense of top speed (for that particular gear, I'm not talking top speed of the vehicle). This is probably because a lot of rally racing is done at lower speeds (compared to track racing) so the WRX is geared to accelerate better at low speeds than at high speeds.

Anyway, that is my best guess but it really is just that, a guess.
    Yes gearing is an issue BUT, you have to look at the power curve on the WRX. We get power much more earlier on than any VTEC engine. So gearing is much less important on our car than a high reving, low torque VTEC engine. Max power on a WRX comes at around 5800-6200 RPMS. An s2000 power curves just begins there!

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:

Originally posted by ElectronBlueSi

Yes gearing is an issue BUT, you have to look at the power curve on the WRX. We get power much more earlier on than any VTEC engine. So gearing is much less important on our car than a high reving, low torque VTEC engine. Max power on a WRX comes at around 5800-6200 RPMS. An s2000 power curves just begins there!
    Except he was talking about the Mustang GT which puts the WRX's power curve to shame.

I do somewhat agree with your statement, although I won't get into the parts I disagree with. Been down that path once too many times before. Suffice it to say that good gearing selection is important no matter what your torque curve looks like. That is one of the reasons why a lot of Mustangs are modded with 4.1 gears (from what I've read).
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Originally posted by RSXSucks

Except he was talking about the Mustang GT which puts the WRX's power curve to shame.

I do somewhat agree with your statement, although I won't get into the parts I disagree with. Been down that path once too many times before. Suffice it to say that good gearing selection is important no matter what your torque curve looks like. That is one of the reasons why a lot of Mustangs are modded with 4.1 gears (from what I've read).
    Your attitude sure has changed, you used to be a complete *******....

Well glad you finally became more sociable!

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:

ElectronBlueSi,

All I have on my Rex is:

uppipe
    K&N Air Filter
    WRXfx Intake
    Samco intercooler hoses
    Short Throw
    (saving to add more later, I really need a unichip and a boost controller)

They don't usually pull all that much over 60, maybe a hood length or so (starting as equal as we can). Am I the only one they are pulling on? Maybe it's my driving!?!?!?!?

get a boost controller, set it to 1.1 bar in 5th and then see how much they pull on you...

if they are only barely pulling on you, then I don't think I would have too muc problem wit them...

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:

Actually, youll be lucky to get 3 hp from a catback on an S2000. Ive seen in more than one article aftermarket exhausts showing no difference from stock.

The following link is the 1st one which shows the amount of power gain over an S2000 when mufflers only are changed. Note that the autospeed website needs subscription to read BEYOND the 1st page and hence the text I've copied from the 2nd page. The gain of changing both the rear mufflers alone has gotten 21rwhp on the Dyno, without the piping done which would give u the 30-35hp increase. I believe the US of A's S2000 is also LEV compliant and therefore the gain would be similar.

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0911/page1.html

But what about the exhaust? Incredibly, it appears that the S2000's exhaust is quite restrictive - specifically the dual (one each side) rear mufflers. Those in the Honda club that had modified the exhaust were getting a very good power gain from the mod - a no-pain gain in fact. So what sorta numbers are we talking about then? OK, a dead standard car puts out about 152hp at the wheels. (Because our dyno sheets are in hp, we'll use those units from now on.) With a flywheel figure of a (claimed) 236hp, 152 at the wheel represents a 35 per cent drivetrain and tyre loss - a bit more than the 30 per cent often quoted for this dyno but not that far from the mark. And with the rear exhaust boxes upsized a little and replaced with free-flow designs? The dyno has shown that peak power jumps from that 152hp to more like 173hp, a very substantial gain of 14 per cent. So, pretty obviously, Step #1 for S2000 owners is to ditch the rear mufflers for something better.
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Here is what Ive found

Sport Compact Car

In terms of any added horsepower, the spec box tells the tale better than I. By feel alone, the Neuspeed exhaust system didn't appear to add much to the stock 240 hp, and the dyno agreed, seeing no measurable difference. Torque in the bottom-end of the rpm band did seem to react with more authority than stock--although the sound of the exhaust system can be very deceiving.

The following article shows a gain of 30rwhp on an S2000 with a cat-back exhaust system that is still quiet and not the freest flowing one available. Other people have got 35rwhp from Japanese designed cat-back systems only. (Note that some ppl don't want the max highest output PEAK power, especially on an N/A as it affects bottom end torque and is VERY NOISY!)

So IN THE FUTURE don't call people BS unless u're absolutely DEAD CERTAIN u are correct.

Iruka, it looks like we've both been getting different info. I wonder if you guys over there get a different model or something. 6.6 to 60 is slow for over here, as well as a 14.8 1/4 mile. Maybe the exhaust on your cars are different?

And Flex I read ur post.

Just looking at the RELATIVELY SMALL size of the Neuspeed exhaust tips its no wonder they couldn't get any gains..... Someone obviously doesn't know how to design the exhausts!!

Flex,

The times here in Australia are for 0-100km/h not 0-60mp/h (which is only 0-96km/h). We do also call it 0-60 sometimes as well, which makes it confusing.

Also although we call it the Quarter Mile here as well, its actually 0-400m which is again more than a 1/4 mile.

The times of 6.6 and 14.8 would translate into approx 6.1s and 14.3s in US 0-60mph and 1/4 mile terms. Note that the AUTOSPEED website sometimes uses HP, sometimes, Kilowatts, sometimes they call it the 0-60 sometimes 0-100.... the thing is they all refer to the Australian Standards.... Australia is not a full metric society also Autospeed has US readers too@!

BTW, wasn't saying u call me BS personally, so cheers!

str
    I've read 0-60 times as 5.7 sec and consistent 1/4 mile times of 14.3
    2004 Black Forester XT

str
    Found out that a guy i work with has a friend who works at a Honda dealership. Says he would be happy to take a S2000 out to race me. Since my shoulder is still fractured I'll have to wait for about 2 more weeks before I can drive but we'll set it up then and really find out which is faster.
    2004 Black Forester XT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.