Just got to run a New porsche TURBO!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just got to run a New porsche TURBO!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; FINALLY SOMETHING FAST!! The first time we went at it, I came up from behind him and there were no ...

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar

Just got to run a New porsche TURBO!!!

FINALLY SOMETHING FAST!!

The first time we went at it, I came up from behind him and there were no cars ahead...I had a full head of steam and when he saw me approaching fast he downshifted (saw the HUGE poof of smoke from each tip) but he couldnt pull on me!! I stayed right with him to about 100 but the road we were on was kinda twisty so I wasn't gonna try to stick with him

He got ahead and I flashed my brights to signal that I was out of the throttle...he slowed and we unfortunately didnt catch the next light...We did, however, catch up to traffic, so he did some maneuvering and got ahead, then when I got back in behind him I guess he thought I was gonna go for round 2 but we were coming up on a steep turn so I wasn't gonna race...again he took off and I was in 5th...he pulled on me fairly hard, as to be expected and then after the turn, slowed down, I caught up, looked over to give him a friendly wave but he wasn't too friendly Guess he didnt like not being able to shake a $12k american car.

Still, I'd obviously rather have his car, but damn it was sweet to stick on his ass like that from 45-100
    Last edited by StoplightWarrior; 08-27-2004 at 07:08 PM.
    2003 SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

which turbo porshe you talking about.. if its 911 turbo that I call BS.. ive seen one of those go on the freeway... lemme just say when the guy hit the gas.. I thought I was watching an indy race..

lol when I read the whole thing I kept thinking the Porsche you raced was a Cayenne

Was it?

Originally posted by Eagle
    which turbo porshe you talking about.. if its 911 turbo that I call BS.. ive seen one of those go on the freeway... lemme just say when the guy hit the gas.. I thought I was watching an indy race..

why is it so hard to believe? If it was a 911 turbo it would dyno somewhere around 300-350 awhp (depending on the dyno). That falls close to what his z28 has

It was a porsche turbo carrera-looking model. Like I said, I hung with him up to about 100, bud didnt take it further...

LOL, this is a race I'd probably call BS on if someone else posted it, but I'm 100% honest, and hopefully by now I have some credibility. Also, I KNOW he was trying because I saw the carbon out the tips and if he wasnt trying, I would have certainly run him over...I do have 330 at the wheels, and at WOT would more than destroy a porsche that wasnt trying...
    2003 SRT-4

i believe that it happened and that you are telling the truth, but I also must say that I would have thought he would walk on you. I am aware of your mods, and the top end potential of the Ls1, but the turbo porsche 911's are insane from pretty much anywhere, or at any speed.

like I said, I dont doubt that it happened. but the 911 turbo runs high 11's at almost 120mph.
    I dont think your cars anywhere near those specs right now. especially the trap speed.

good run though
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by DTR rex
    i believe that it happened and that you are telling the truth, but I also must say that I would have thought he would walk on you. I am aware of your mods, and the top end potential of the Ls1, but the turbo porsche 911's are insane from pretty much anywhere, or at any speed.

like I said, I dont doubt that it happened. but the 911 turbo runs high 11's at almost 120mph.
    I dont think your cars anywhere near those specs right now. especially the trap speed.

good run though
    No, if he's trapping 120 then he's about 7-8mph above me. Still, it happened, I stayed glued to him for a good 65mph of fun. Are they AWD?
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    No, if he's trapping 120 then he's about 7-8mph above me. Still, it happened, I stayed glued to him for a good 65mph of fun. Are they AWD?
    like I said, i am not doubting you in any way.... just saying that by numbers and real world experience, he should have walked on you.
    but hey, its your win and his loss. good race!

yes, they are 4 wheel drive
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by DTR rex
    like I said, i am not doubting you in any way.... just saying that by numbers and real world experience, he should have walked on you.
    but hey, its your win and his loss. good race!

yes, they are 4 wheel drive
    i'm just glad I shut it down at 100...and it's very rare for an ls1 owner to say that...
    2003 SRT-4

hmm

Originally posted by TurnWRX
    why is it so hard to believe? If it was a 911 turbo it would dyno somewhere around 300-350 awhp (depending on the dyno). That falls close to what his z28 has

I'm not calling BS, I believe the guy but you guys realize that a 911T does the 1/4 in something insane like 11.8 STOCK (if its a new one), you would have to be putting down alot of power to take a car like that. What's the weight comparision on his z vs the 911t?
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

or am I thinking the Carrera GT at 11.8.......either way the 911t is either in the low 12's or 11's stock......and like the one guy said, I've seen them get on it on the highway and that car pulls pretty hard
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Sweet!

I am hoping to be able to destroy stock 911 Turbos from a roll soon. If your experience is representative of what they can do, I should have absolutely no problem.

The fastest Porsche 911 Turbo Car and Driver has ever tested ran 12.2 at 116 mph. They said that this was a factory freak.

Camaros and 911s should be comparable weiht-wise.

Originally posted by zoophagy

The fastest Porsche 911 Turbo Car and Driver has ever tested ran 12.2 at 116 mph. They said that this was a factory freak.

Camaros and 911s should be comparable weiht-wise.
    ok, if he's trapping 114 or so then, I can see how I hung at those speeds...

again, I didnt pull on him at all, I just stayed glued to his bumper and he couldnt pull on me, which is what I expected to happen...

Also, I have about 100lbs removed from my car, I stripped it fairly well. (Don't ask, I'm obsessed with weight removal...)
    2003 SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX
    I totally believe this encounter! I've hung with a 911 turbo until around those speeds (~100) and then his gearing just overtook me. They are fast cars and it's a rush to be able to hang with them at any speed! Congrats on the run and good job on having the smarts not to hammer it through the curve! It's hard to resist the urge when you actually find a fast car that's willing to run!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Bah - don't believe they all run 11s and 120 mph. I've watched 'em turn mid 12s and 113-114 mph all day long - in person.

And why would anybody call BS? It's not like he just joined this board yesterday and made up some maD l33t kills...
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast