Raced a new Mustang
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced a new Mustang within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Was just on my way home when I saw a brand new bright red mustang. I saw dual exhausts so ...

Talking Raced a new Mustang

Was just on my way home when I saw a brand new bright red mustang. I saw dual exhausts so I new it was a GT. Me and him were playing, revving up and letting off but really didn't have an opportunity to race yet. We were coming up on what is kind of a freeway but not really, and I needed to make a right to get on it. He was behind me and I saw his turn sigal on..Oh yeah! So I go around the turn and punch it in first and he is behind me about even. I overrev before second and he passes me and is walking away pretty fast, at around 90 when he shut down he was a few bus lengths ahead. So we roll up to a light he has his window down and gives me the nod as I do the same. I'm trying to keep my rev's at 4k but my car kept rolling forward because of a slight downslope. So I had to let off a bit and I got a luanch at about 2.5K, not the greatest and through first he had a jump on me and was pulling away through 2nd. We come to another light, this time I am ready, I do a beautiful launch at 5K, he lauched perferctly also, he just had slight wheelspin. I got a jump out ahead of him and by the end of first he had me by a nose, end of second his rear bumper at my front bumber,and in third he was gone. As he was passing me I saw the cobra emblem on his car. We came to the next light, and I gave him and asked if it was a cobra. He said, "Yep!, Nice Run!!!". I told him to have a good night as I turned off. Couldn't have lost to a nicer guy, that was my first opportunity to race a mustang, too bad it wasn't just a GT. I am surpised I kept up somewhat with him for him having 100+hp advantage. I was really surpised how well it launched.
    Last edited by jamie007; 08-27-2004 at 12:07 AM.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    so it was a 99, 01??
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    so it was a 99, 01??
    No it was an '04. I just looked on ford's website and it had the same rear end, with the black trim on the lower half of the bumper. Looked nice....To bad he wasn't looking at my bumber, lol....
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

Originally posted by jamie007
    No it was an '04. I just looked on ford's website and it had the same rear end, with the black trim on the lower half of the bumper. Looked nice....To bad he wasn't looking at my bumber, lol....
    damn you hung with a 370rwhp beast?!
    2003 SRT-4

Isn't 370 whp a conservative figure?

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

No, not really... I got a jump on him off of the line, that was my first 5k launch, 1st gear felt like it went by in like a 1/2 a second, by 2nd he was pulling me pretty hard, and I could see the back of his car. 3rd forget about it. His car was brand new, it still had the temporary plates from the dealership, it probably wasn't broken all of the way in yet. That thing sounded mean!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I don't think it's that hard to believe, don't cobra's get 0-60 around 4.6 seconds. I'm guessing with my mods I hit 0-60 around 4.8 - 5 secs? I dunno, but I had fun!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I dunno man. I could see you with the lead on a perfect launch but once that Stang hooked up its game over.

I looked at your mods and didnt see a MBC or any EM. So your prolly around 200WHP to his at least 350WHP. He might be heavier but not that heavy.

A lead threw first is believable but after that should be lengths ahead for him. But its the streets anything can happen.

sht
    are you sure it was an 04 cause those things are crazy loud and you would have know it once it was next to you
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

Originally posted by sht
    are you sure it was an 04 cause those things are crazy loud and you would have know it once it was next to you
    It's wasn't loud at all, although I could hear the supercharger, maybe he was taking it easy on me. It had the new style taillights, I am almost certain it was an 04. I am by no means saying I beat him, or came close.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Originally posted by renichms
    Isn't 370 whp a conservative figure?

RN
    yes.

they have been known to make just as much whp as ford claims to the crank.

I dont think anyone here is calling you a liar, but the term "anything can happen on the street is definatly applicable here".
    even though the wrx has the awd launch, the mustang can still cut VERY SIMILAR 60ft's because of all that torque. once he caught traction he should left you midway in second.

either way though, nice race.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by DTR rex
    yes.

they have been known to make just as much whp as ford claims to the crank.

I dont think anyone here is calling you a liar, but the term "anything can happen on the street is definatly applicable here".
    even though the wrx has the awd launch, the mustang can still cut VERY SIMILAR 60ft's because of all that torque. once he caught traction he should left you midway in second.

either way though, nice race.
    Similar 60' if on proper tires and a prepped track, you mean. Though, as mentioned many times, get traction and the Cobra eats up most of what it runs against...

RN

Originally posted by renichms
    Similar 60' if on proper tires and a prepped track, you mean. Though, as mentioned many times, get traction and the Cobra eats up most of what it runs against...

RN
    I could be wrong, but i thought the 03/04 cobras came with drag radials??
    I was under the impression that most of them were cutting less than 2.0 60ft's with a good driver and dry pavement
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I was under the impression that most of them were cutting less than 2.0 60ft's with a good driver and dry pavement
    I've never seen one come with drag radials, but good drivers have cut good 60' for a high-powered RWD car. Some local guys are pretty good here. Tires would be readily available though.

RN

no way! If they came with DRs we'd have idiots wrecking them all over the place.
    2003 SRT-4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.