Racing with a Viper
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Racing with a Viper within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This evening I was driving to a friends house and saw this viper driving really fast down the road, 100 ...

Racing with a Viper

This evening I was driving to a friends house and saw this viper driving really fast down the road, 100 yards away maybe. I decided I would try to catch up and watch it in action. He ended up going down a twisty road. Anyone in northern virginia, the road was one of those around the clifton area, light or no traffic and nice turns. The odd thing about this road was it had speed bumps every so often.

I catch up to him at one of these speed bumps as he goes over them about 2-3 mph, then he takes off, black smoke from the exhaust and it smells, gotta love it. So I floor it going over the speed bump and manage to keep up with him, he gets maybe 3-4 cars ahead of me but doesn't pull away after that. We are going 60-70 when I looked at the speedometer. Then we get up to another speed bump, and he is probably thinking why is this car keeping up with me, so he trys it again and takes off but I am right on his tail. We do this for about 3-4 of these speed bumps and I am always right on his tail, then I turn around and head back to my friends house. And on the way back I see what looks like a 355 Ferrari, I wanted to turn around but I had to get going.

Anyways I felt really good after that, Our cars can really hang with some of those 100k cars. I know if it was a straightaway he would kill me, but on the twisty's its a different story.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Racing with a Viper

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    Anyways I felt really good after that, Our cars can really hang with some of those 100k cars. I know if it was a straightaway he would kill me, but on the twisty's its a different story.
    Okay, let me get this straight:
    1. You basically have a WRX+MBC (oh, and replica STI painted foglights)
    2. No AWD launch occurs. Even worse for the WRX, you are launching at around 5mph, not exactly a place where the WRX has a ton of torque, much unlike the Viper. Oh, and you are launching over a speed bump. Not that it really matters because I'm pretty sure you could pick a speed, any speed, and the Viper would pull, and pull, and keep on pulling long after he put 3-4 cars on you.
    3. You think you can outhandle a Viper... on a road course? Straightaway or twisty on pavement, a well driven stock Viper would crush, dare I say, any WRX on this board? If ANYTHING, you would have a MUCH better chance in a 0-60 because of AWD launch. Forget about the tWyStiEZ! BTW, did you ever own a Honda? Just sounded like you might still have a bit of Honda-itis.

And you guys wanted to ban ME because I said that the WRX+MBC is a supercar? THIS is the exact type of post I was making fun of!

Let's be honest for a second here, either the Viper was running on 2 cylinders, or the guy didn't realize that the gas pedal goes all the way to the ground. I'm sure he was not wondering to himself "why is this car keeping up with me", but more like "damn I have to get my car to a shop, I'm sure this story will end up on the Internet as a WRX hangs with Viper post".

Oh well, keep having fun out there I guess. Maybe tonight you will run into that Ferrari and we can read all about how you beat him in twisties.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

I just posted what I saw, take it for what its worth, I have no reason to lie. We do have very short first and second gears and I am sure if I went into third for a long time I would get killed, but for the type of road we were driving on and at the speeds we were going I was keeping up. I never said I was beating him or he was pushing it hard all the way. All I said was I was keeping up with him after he floored it in probably first gear. Its just two cars racing down a road, no winner or looser, just a fun time. Plus have you ever seen a viper do a 1/4 mile run on a twisty road, some how I don't think they will get the same 12 second run.

My Mods

RSXSucks -

Shut your hole. Vipers are not invincibile, I used to kill them in a pickup truck. Go buy a WRX and stop being such a fuktard.

I'm sorry, I agree with RSXsucks on this one. A viper simply outperforms a WRX. The guy wasn't racing, there is just no way. Maybe from your perspective, it could have looked that way, but there is no way he was actually racing. Oh, and the viper is 75K, not 100K.

Yes. It is possible you beat them in an L. A modded L with slicks is a very quick truck. But we aren't talking about an L. We're talking about a barely modded WRX. There is a difference.

Actually Vipers aren't all that great on a road course (stock, anyways). My friend's ITR will blow by them on the turns and (of course) get hammered on the straights...

But it's good to see a not-so-pro-WRX post from you, RSXSucks. I too would have to say the Viper may not be trying his/her hardest (if you wanted to have fun in an $80k car would YOU push it to the limit just to beat a $25k car?) . But it was a nice story and it sounded like fun
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

Yo

Point being yet again is that just because on "paper" X does 0-100 in A time ... but that doesn't make a difference in the "real world" when the driver is the weak(est) link. I have a friend who drives a C5 w/ a little bit of mods who has driven my car and he think my WRX w/ the MBC @ 16psi and uppipe is very comaprable if not faster in 0-70 ish range. He even agrees that the "paper" numbers are for those who actually know how to drive and don't mind "ragging" theirs cars which is NOT the majority of the population. Viper, Corvette, M3, M5, NSX, RX7, Supra, etc ... paper and dyno are one group of comparasion ... while daily driving is another. I don't care if you have 1000+whp but when you can't launch, spin between gears, etc ... it's over pretty quick. Plus if you add the environmental figures such as rain, dirt, etc ... those "figures" all go down the drain.
    If some cars is blowing smoke out of its exhaust, it's NOT just "driving." I wish I could meet up w/ a Viper, Ferrai, Lamb*, DB8, etc ... I would like to get "owned" by one ... umm maybe if they screw up I may "own" them up to 70mph. Nice on laying the smack down on a Viper.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Yes, that is true. It does depend on the driver. But they weren't launching. And smoke always comes out of the exhaust. That's what it is there for. When you have a V10, like on the Viper, and you accelerate, there will be smoke. Those things eat up fuel.

The FIRST time I went to Sear's point (or whatever the new name is - I can't remember). I had my WRX and I was lined up against a Viper. He killed me on the straightaway, but through the turns I caught up to him only about 25% through the course. Can only pass on the straights and he never let me, even though I rode his tail the other 75% of the course.

His car handled no better than a Mustang, M3 or Camaro which I also ran against - the Mustang and the Camaro let me pass but the M3 was just like the Cobra guy, wouldn't let me pass in the straight away even though I rode his ass the whole length of the track.

Okay, my total apologies then. I guess a WRX+MBC vs a Viper is a drivers race. This is why I come here, to learn these things!!!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

As soon as you start throwing in turns into a race the biggest performance part you can get is the driver. It all comes down to who knows how to drive thier car better. An extra 250 hp doesn't mean much if you can't control it.

My Mods

Yo

I agree.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

I recon the most like ly thing is the guy in the viper was just really concerned about the speed bumps I know I slither over them and if some fool want's to get some air over them while destroying their suspension just to pass me thats fine with me
    I won't have the repair bill

I also have to congratulate RSXSucks on his new found maturity
    keep up the good work

Oh man.
    <--GRAVEYARD SHIFT-->

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.