Racing with a Viper - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Racing with a Viper within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by wombat I recon the most like ly thing is the guy in the viper was just really ...

Originally posted by wombat
    I recon the most like ly thing is the guy in the viper was just really concerned about the speed bumps I know I slither over them and if some fool want's to get some air over them while destroying their suspension just to pass me thats fine with me
    I won't have the repair bill
    I agree w/ wombat witz here. the viper was prolly just trying to protect it's 2" clearance. but as i have learned, add rain or gravel to any race against an awd vehicle and all hell breaks loose.
    -M a t t-
    1997 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
    It's Blurple and Slow.
    111*106*15979
    http://www.10-94.net/misc/sig.jpg
    The 10/94 Forum

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

str
    yeaH a good driver in a wrx in the twisties can hang with allot of cars. I hung with a corvette on some backroads by my house. however when we hit open road he passed me fairly easily in third gear. i think he may have been able to take me on the twisties but he was having as much fun as i was. this was when i was stock. i know vipers can handle, so maybe he wasn't comfortable going faster on the twisties. those cars have tremendous power. on a open road everyone here knows a viper would crush us. maybe the guy was giving respect and was just having fun. anyway, its always nice keeping up with the big boys.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Sounds like he was in 2nd gear. 1st gear on the street = traction probs, which you didn't mention. Also, the black smoke (rich) doesn't usually pour on until 2nd gear. Good runs, but to hang with a viper that is really racing on a 5mph roll it is going to take big cubes or a roots SC (i.e. lightning or 03 cobra). IMO of course...

VV

Originally posted by daiviouth

I agree w/ wombat witz here. the viper was prolly just trying to protect it's 2" clearance. but as i have learned, add rain or gravel to any race against an awd vehicle and all hell breaks loose.
    -M a t t-
    I think he knew where every speed bump was seeing how he probably lived down this street. Plus he would not be doing 70 mph if he didn't. I had him in front of me to judge where they were so I didn't have to worry to much. I think people are taking this too far though, it was just a fun race down some road. Sure he was not pushing it hard in every gear, but we were both pushing pretty hard, well for me I was pushing as hard as I could

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Re: Racing with a Viper

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    This evening I was driving to a friends house and saw this viper driving really fast down the road, 100 yards away maybe. I decided I would try to catch up and watch it in action. He ended up going down a twisty road. Anyone in northern virginia, the road was one of those around the clifton area, light or no traffic and nice turns. The odd thing about this road was it had speed bumps every so often.

I catch up to him at one of these speed bumps as he goes over them about 2-3 mph, then he takes off, black smoke from the exhaust and it smells, gotta love it. So I floor it going over the speed bump and manage to keep up with him, he gets maybe 3-4 cars ahead of me but doesn't pull away after that. We are going 60-70 when I looked at the speedometer. Then we get up to another speed bump, and he is probably thinking why is this car keeping up with me, so he trys it again and takes off but I am right on his tail. We do this for about 3-4 of these speed bumps and I am always right on his tail, then I turn around and head back to my friends house. And on the way back I see what looks like a 355 Ferrari, I wanted to turn around but I had to get going.

Anyways I felt really good after that, Our cars can really hang with some of those 100k cars. I know if it was a straightaway he would kill me, but on the twisty's its a different story.
    Racing between speedbumps? That's some strange chit. Livin' on the edge eh?
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

They were pretty far apart, its not like your normal speed bumps every 50 feet at a shoping center. But like I said I was following his lead, and he seemed to know where all of them were, like I said he probably lived down the street. I guess you would have to have been their to know what I am talking about.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Re: Racing with a Viper

Anyways I felt really good after that, Our cars can really hang with some of those 100k cars. I know if it was a straightaway he would kill me, but on the twisty's its a different story.
    I'm sorry for ragging on your story. The story itself is very believable and entertaining and I'm glad you told it so we could read it. The part I quoted above was the only thing I had trouble believing. I didn't want to turn this into a flame war, I only wanted to introduce the possibility that maybe he wasn't giving it his all.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Originally posted by str
    yeaH a good driver in a wrx in the twisties can hang with allot of cars. I hung with a corvette on some backroads by my house. however when we hit open road he passed me fairly easily in third gear. i think he may have been able to take me on the twisties but he was having as much fun as i was. this was when i was stock. i know vipers can handle, so maybe he wasn't comfortable going faster on the twisties. those cars have tremendous power. on a open road everyone here knows a viper would crush us. maybe the guy was giving respect and was just having fun. anyway, its always nice keeping up with the big boys.
    I beat a 400HP Shelby Cobra at autoX in my stock, right down to the all-season tires, RSX-S (okay, I've got an SRI for 3-4 HP, not a huge difference). I also beat a Corvette at that same event. Since this was at an autoX event, I'm only going to guess that they were racing me! However, I don't think for a SECOND that I can hang with a well driven Shelby Cobra or a Corvette in the straights or the twisties though, they were simply not very good drivers.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Cool vipers...

funny i read this thread.. only today on the wasy home from work i see this red GTS with the white stripes coming up from behind..i am in the turning lane and hes two over..the next thing i see is this young guy smiling at me FROM BEHIND!!!!! WTH...he crosses two lanes to get behind me...he follows and i really wish the traffic would have cleared..that would have been cool. i have been on the track with some in my 00 C5 and they can be beat, this one i reaced is modified by TNTMOTORSPORTS i beleive they are in houston..700+ HP according to the drive...its an awsome machine to see around the track...maybe one day i will meat MR VIPER??????? muh muhhhhh

As soon as you start throwing in turns into a race the biggest performance part you can get is the driver. It all comes down to who knows how to drive thier car better. An extra 250 hp doesn't mean much if you can't control it.
    This is so true. I've driven a few high power, rear wheel cars. Puttin in a lot gas pedal with a launch, you can easily fishtail or donut one of these cars. Also driving very fast and not executing a turn professionally, will result in out of control condition. Someone driving this car has felt this and either feels they can control it, or not. Also they certainly were not driving at the limits of this car, but had he been, you could have kept up with him because on dry roads, this car loves power and speed to control the direction. Our cars must be driven properly too though, and you could lose by sloppy driving as well as losing by safely driving.

Maybe he was just playing it safe in the Viper, but no doubt the WRX is a great curvy road car, and is well powered for hairpins and twisties. I think the Viper is a great road car (and track) but it may be a bit powerful for this terain, but only baseing that on the story.
    ----------------------------------------
    '02 Blue Sportwagon
    No mods - yet
    Starting with the rear sway bar and anti-lift kit...one day....I have faith

The thing with Powerful RWD cars is that its plain scary to drive fast around twisties....

I'm sure it all comes down to the driver and also the fact that the WRX is behind and can tell every corner from the Viper's movement helps heaps.... The driver in front usually is more careful I suppose

I think AWD is really safe for most drivers that's for sure, also the understeer nature of the WRX makes it easier for the driver to find the limits of the car during a corner....

A Viper in the hands of a really competent driver however will almost kill any other car out there, it definitely has higher cornering grip and handling than a WRX, although a WRX probably has better post-apex throttle opportunity.

But most competent drivers don't drive fast on public roads anyway.
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Out by bunny man bridge? Those roads are what you would call "the twisties", Popes Head and Clifton Rd. Sometimes well paved, others, not so well paved. I love those roads

I could see a rich man in a viper doing something like that, a guy who spent thousands and thousands of dollars on a car not wanting to trash it yet still keep face by pulling hard off the bumps (in his mind at least).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.