Joy ride with my friend's '99 JRSC Civic Si

This is a discussion on Joy ride with my friend's '99 JRSC Civic Si within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was AIMing with my friend tonight who frequents the ClubSi boards (goes by Si 2 Si there) and was ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Joy ride with my friend's '99 JRSC Civic Si

I was AIMing with my friend tonight who frequents the ClubSi boards (goes by Si 2 Si there) and was telling him about my latest mods. I suggest we go for a drive sometime and he tells me that his brother's in town with his old car, a '99 Civic Si with a Jackson Racing Supercharger. He sold it to his brother but since he's back, he's like "Dude let's go right now!" "Hell yeah!" I say and I grab my keys and take off to meet them.

I pull up and the car is immaculate. It's a total sleeper...just black, lowered down with exhaust. Can't tell what's under the hood at all. They just waxed it today and boy did it look pretty at night! My friend had to go pick up a DVD from our other friend's house, so we decided to pick him up, then go for a spin.

We get to our friend's house and figure out where we want to go. Since the friend we just picked up and my friend's brother have never really been in a WRX, we decide they should ride with me, while Si 2 Si's in his old car all by himself. We take off for the highway, with us in front. Pulling on the highway, we're going about 35-40, with my friend still behind me. Then, I PUNCH IT.

Seeing as though this is my first real test with the new unichip tuning, I was anxious to see how it performed, especially against a much lighter, supercharged Si. My foot's on the floor and I look at my rearview mirror...he's right on my ass, drafting me perfectly. Shift into 3rd, he's still on my ass, but we're ever so slowly pulling away. Shift into 4th without letting it redline...by this time we're already at about 105-110. We hit about 115 with my car still pulling hard and he shuts down. We shut down too, turn around, and head back to my friend's house.

We get out and my friend's shaking his head. "Oh man did I miss this car...but god I need me a better car!" He was surprised that he kept up so well but then he said "Dude it was scary though, because everytime you shifted, your exhaust shot out a little fireball!" I look at him in disbelief but he swears on it. Ahhh, the joys of being catless

Overall it was a fun night...we all had a blast and I was happy to actually run against someone who KNEW how to drive fast. God, I love this car!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Initial-d~4life's Avatar

lol nice

haha dude your a champ . kill those civics

I'll be shooting fireballs by this time tomorrow.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I'll be shooting fireballs by this time tomorrow.
    I plead the 5th.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

LOL, I envy you, I've got no cat either but as far as I know I'm not shooting any fireballs.. bleh! Awesome race, what does this Scooby have?
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by VTC_CiViC
    LOL, I envy you, I've got no cat either but as far as I know I'm not shooting any fireballs.. bleh! Awesome race, what does this Scooby have?
    Mods are in my signature VTC, but in a nutshell, it's catless with a Blitz SUS intake and a custom-tuned unichip running about 16 psi of boost
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Gotta love the sleeper look! We will have to see how well the RSX takes to FI (right now they are having a lot of trouble with it ) but if they can get it working, I would love to have a totally stock looking RSX that could at least give stock WRXs a little run for their money.

Right now it looks like the biggest trouble with FI is the damn 'i' portion of i-VTEC. Looks like the most successful implementations have been by disabling it altogether. You should see the torque curve on one of these things, it starts dying around 5000rpm. Looks kind of funny seeing a high-revving Honda make a torque curve shaped like that! So far though, it looks like we might be able to get close to 250WHP at 6-7psi. That is an optimistic figure though. VERY early on, we had a guy claim to run VERY low 13s on a turbo but that is pretty doubtful. If that had been the case, I think there would be a kit available already. The best documented case I saw was SCC's turbo RSX that ran a 13.7@108mph. ET isn't great but the trap speed suggests that with a bit of work, low 13s isn't impossible. I believe that turbo was at 5psi too.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?