Lost to a Cobra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lost to a Cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey: Let me preface this story with the fact that this was my first race in the WRX, I'm totaly ...

Exclamation Lost to a Cobra

Hey:

Let me preface this story with the fact that this was my first race in the WRX, I'm totaly stock.

I was returning from the grocery store last evening when a black Mustang Cobra (97ish?) coming in the opposite direction pulls a U turn right in from of me. I am forced to slow down and know I'm right behind him. So I figure I'll keep up with him to show him what is up.

So I'm tailing him pretty good for about a quarter of a mile. I pass my apartment enterance and we line-up at the next red light.

At the light, he looks over and says
    Cobra: "Is that thing fast"
    Me: "0-60 in 5.5 seconds"
    Cobra: "Wow, I bet it handles pretty good too"
    Me: "yeah, pretty good, probably not as good as your car"
    Cobra: "what is that, the wr7?"
    Me: "Nah, WRX"
    Cobra: "Is that for off road?"
    Me: "Yeah, you can Rally race it"
    Cobra:' Nice looking car"
    Me: "Thanks, want to run?"
    Cobra: "Yeah, I'll run, but I'm having 2nd gear syncro problems"
    Me: "That's okay, I still don't know how to launch it"

I start to rev and so does he. The light turns green and I get a jump, but I bogg

He is right next to me, until the top of first were I start to pull, I sifted WAAAYYY to early (5.5k) and got in second far to low on the powerband. he is even with me now and starting to pull. I was looking at the boost gauge and I was only getting 11psi

He gets about a car in front of me by the top of second and we shut down.

I was disapointed with my driving. I knew I'd loose, but I expected to hold him off for a little while.

Two things: I wish I could launch with out bogging, and shifted later so I would have gotten more boost.

That's my story, flame on
    First time booster

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cool!!

Oh well, as we've always said, you can't win them all. Just use this as a learning experience and practice your techniques. You'll be spanking Ferrari's in no time! NOT!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Yeah ...

I'm assuming you're running sotck psi and no mods right? If you really wanna win and since you don't race alot you "don't" need to worry about the clutch and tranny "as much." So hold your revs at 2.5-3K at the light and when it turns green ... jump on the gas and when the revs get to 4.5-5K slip umm or just slowly drop the clutch and keep on the gas. You'll 90% get a decent launch which is what matters during a street race expecially if it's only going to last 5.5sec +\-. Remember NOT to left off on the gas during the clutch engagament ... I have that problem myself which will bogg ... I haven't raced anyone in a while however I still need to practiced so when the time calls ... I won't look too bad.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

str
    sounds like if you would have launched better you may have hadd him.
    2004 Black Forester XT

for a little while anyway.

anyone know the times on those cars?
    I was assuming high 5's for 0-60 and mid 13's for 1/4 mile
    First time booster

Just go practice a couple of launches and don't let up until 7k rpm's. You'll do fine next time.
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Favorite Passenger Comment: I feel like we're about to go lightspeed!

I had a 97 Cobra up to 2 month ago.

0 to 60 5.4
    1/4 13.78 to 14.1 depends on wich mag you read.

My experience at the track bone stock with 1500 miles was 1/4 13.55 @104 mph. After removing the airbox and installing some nitto Dr's I dipped the mug to a 13.2 @ 106. Cobras are hard cars to launch. They make all of their HP after 4000 rpms so boggin them of the line is easy. If The Cpobra boggs of the line then you should be able to take him, but if the person driving the Cobra has some ball and lauches the car at 4500 RPM's and keeps it from bogging then you are dead. I should know I owned a 97 Cobra and just sold my WRX.
    Last edited by Drod; 08-08-2002 at 10:04 AM.

Originally posted by The Enemy
    Just go practice a couple of launches and don't let up until 7k rpm's. You'll do fine next time.
    if u hold the clutch to long sniff sniff BURNT CLUTCH

Originally posted by Drod
    I had a 97 Cobra up to 2 month ago.

0 to 60 5.4
    1/4 13.78 to 14.1 depends on wich mag you read.

My experience at the track bone stock with 1500 miles was 1/4 13.55 @104 mph. After removing the airbox and installing some nitto Dr's I dipped the mug to a 13.2 @ 106. Cobras are hard cars to launch. They make all of their HP after 4000 rpms so boggin them of the line is easy. If The Cpobra boggs of the line then you should be able to take him, but if the person driving the Cobra has some ball and lauches the car at 4500 RPM's and keeps it from bogging then you are dead. I should know I owned a 97 Cobra abd just sold my WRX.
    That's exactly what I figured. I didn't hear his tires so I think he bogged too. we were right next to each other getting throught the intersection. it was like a slowmotion launch
    First time booster

Go to the track and work on you drag racing skills. Most Cobra owners are not willing to commit to a 4500 RPM launch.

Haha

Have a toy and afraid to play ... . I find it amusing how the WRX owners are more prone to play than the "expensive car owner" in a stereotypical statement. It's all good. Just go to somewhere nice and secluded and practice your launches.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Thumbs down

I'm still very surprised that if you bogged the launch, shifted too early, and didn't hit full boost, that he only put 1 car on your bone stock, brand new WRX. Does that make sense to other people? Maybe that Cobra was very sick or the driver had an even worse race than you did (shifted from 1st to 3rd by mistake?). If you look at the torque curve on the Cobra compared to the WRX, even if he did bog the launch, he still has WAY more low end torque than you do.

Not calling BS because anything can happen on the road, but a story like this on ClubRSX would get flamed to death.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Clap, clap, clap!!!

Bravo!!! Bravo!!!

RSXSucks, you actually have a good post! I'm glad you finally stopped BSing!! Decided to change your ways?

Originally posted by junaitari
    Clap, clap, clap!!!

Bravo!!! Bravo!!!

RSXSucks, you actually have a good post! I'm glad you finally stopped BSing!! Decided to change your ways?
    i 2nd that congrats man i've see u cleaned up the brown spot on ur nose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast