Cobb Stage 2 vs E46 M3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobb Stage 2 vs E46 M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Another fun encounter today, on my way home for a dinner break. Cliff note: WRX = M3 Full story: Well ...

Cobb Stage 2 vs E46 M3

Another fun encounter today, on my way home for a dinner break.

Cliff note: WRX = M3

Full story: Well decided to take a different highway to get home, well I had to because I was picking up dinner from this restaurant. So driving down this street to get to the highway enterance, and spotted the M3. The car was black with some tint...I love the way M3's look! We came to a stop light and I was behind it, and we were in the middle lane. The highway enterance is on the left and is at the next light. After the light turned green, he drove off and got on the gas to merge left for the enterance, I followed right behind him. As we got to the enterance, the light turned red and both stop. I knew he was going for it as soon as makes that left. Now this section of the highway is on a curvy bridge, so as soon as the enterance end, it dump you right on the beginning of the brigde, which has only 2 lanes and curves left at about a 20-30 degrees. And it's slightly up hill. Light turns green and both of us make the enterance turn quickly. I was ready, and was in the middle of 1st when he punched it. I then went WOT in all 3 gears and stayed right behind him. I put it into 4th and that's when he slowed down. I got into the right lane and passed him up a little (it was an unintentional flyby), but then slowed down to wait for round 2. But his guy stayed the 50 speed limit and didn't want to play again. I put on the brakes so I can see the driver, but he didn't make any sign that he wanted to go again, so I gave a thumbs-up and moved on. The driver gave me a nod of acknowledgement, but it was more like, "my-M3-wasn't-able-to-outrun-this-4-door-car" nod. Hell, I was just supprised and happy that I kept up.

FWIW, the driver was middle aged; 34-38 yrs old, and was with his girlfriend/fiancee/wife.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    what are your mods?? Those e46s are damn fast...
    2003 SRT-4

you have intake and exhaust? that 180 whp is not going to get you anywhere near the m3 unless:
    a)you got on it before he did
    b)he mis-shifted
    c)he wasnt trying
    d)it was an E36 or a base model 3 series
    e)the bimmer had deisel it in
    f)you are exagerating.

dont limit yourselves to just choosing one of the above folks, go nuts! im going for the C,D,F trifecta!

Originally posted by POLAR
    you have intake and exhaust? that 180 whp is not going to get you anywhere near the m3 unless:
    a)you got on it before he did
    b)he mis-shifted
    c)he wasnt trying
    d)it was an E36 or a base model 3 series
    e)the bimmer had deisel it in
    f)you are exagerating.

dont limit yourselves to just choosing one of the above folks, go nuts! im going for the C,D,F trifecta!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

i he cobb stage 2 turboback and reflash if i am correct, I think that should b enough
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Originally posted by STiguy
    i he cobb stage 2 turboback and reflash if i am correct, I think that should b enough
    yeah exactly thats what the title says
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

Originally posted by STiguy
    Without the launch, a cobb stageII turboback with reflash IS NOT enough to hold up with an M3. both cars would be putting down similar times from a stop...(thats with AWD advantage) so for him to run neck and neck with the M3 without a launch if both were driving their best, just doesnt make sense.

my guess: wrx stayed in first like he said... I bet the M3 was auto and the trans didnt go to first gear, probably stayed in second and he let off early.
    I am not saying your a liar or anything.... just saying that most of the time he would have owned you.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

on the paper the m3 is faster even with cobb stage 2, cobb stage 2 is 285 which is in general and not everyone will get exactly that much but even lets assume he does have 285 the m3 has 330 nuff said. However thats why you have races, nascar or most other track races make everyone drive the same car (i mean same power specs) but not everyone will win becasue its all in the drivers skill. SO, that propably proves that the m3 driver wasn't a) on full throttle or b) wasn't as skilled of a driver. I don't know why everyone assumes that becasue the car is faster on paper it automatically wins. In real world anything can happen, so you can't automatically rule his story out. I watch some lemans series and one team went with the less powerfull engine setup then the rest of the field and still won.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

yeah, but le mans isnt straight line race. a less powerful car in a drag from a roll is dead, unless it weighs nothing. im not suprised that this could happen though. i guess we should just be complimenting all the stage 2 guys for there excellent driving skills.

Hell, I'm a firm believer that anything can happen on the street. And that goes for the fact that other "slower" cars can wup on a Cobb stage 2 car. Street racing is unpredictable and that's why it's so fun...you'll never know how your car/skills will be matched against another car/driver.

Let me just say that I was SUPPRISE that I was able to keep up. It's one of those race, going into it, you're thinking that you're going to get your ass handed to you. But you do it anyway to see how you and your car fare against the other car/driver.

And I have an uppipe too, but I don't remember if Cobb's stage 2 requires one...

and it was an E46 M3. I know the difference between an E36 and E46...

I agree with you, anything can happen on the street... But In a perfect world, a Cobb Stage 2 wrx puts down less whp than an E46 M3.. This is why a few doubters have raised concern.. In the perfect world, the stock turbo doesn't have what it takes to take out an E46 M3 from a roll.... With a convertible, it would be close, but not a coupe
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by jigga
    I agree with you, anything can happen on the street... But In a perfect world, a Cobb Stage 2 wrx puts down less whp than an E46 M3.. This is why a few doubters have raised concern.. In the perfect world, the stock turbo doesn't have what it takes to take out an E46 M3 from a roll.... With a convertible, it would be close, but not a coupe
    I've had 4 run ins with e46 m3s and they were QUICK! I lost in my old 94 cobra, I smoked one in my 2000 GT (supercharged) and I've edged out 2 in my ls1...but each time, the thing puts up a fight! Hard for me to picture a WRX with stock turbo running past one from a roll
    2003 SRT-4

he probably doesn't wanna risk the ticket of being caught by cops and just having a little fun.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

anything can happen on the streets because of the driver. however, you were racing him from a roll, and it doesn't take much skills to race from a roll. also, from a roll is where the e46 are notorious at. on the other hand, from a roll is when awd loses it's ground. therefore, he was either just messing with you, or weren't really racing. not saying that you were lying, but just saying you might have thought you won.
    Last edited by WiCkeDrEx; 08-15-2004 at 11:04 PM.
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast