Me vs. 1970 Chevelle SS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Me vs. 1970 Chevelle SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So on my way to work the other evening I met up with my friends dad on the interstate. I ...

Me vs. 1970 Chevelle SS

So on my way to work the other evening I met up with my friends dad on the interstate. I saw him up ahead of me so I sped up a little to get beside him, if only to hear that beautiful 454. We both already had our windows down and he yells at me to hang back a little bit till we were past all the intersections and traffic.

I fall in back behind him and turn off the stereo and listen to his car for a few miles till we get to some nice straight interstate without traffic. We were both rolling about 70 MPH, and I see exhaust gas start puking out of the tail pipes and he roars forward. He was already pulling away before I even got out of 5th gear.

I knew this wasn't my opportunity so I just sped up a little so as to not completely lose him and followed him on up the road for a few miles. Well as luck would have it, we get to the last stoplight on that stretch of highway for some 30 odd miles, and the stoplight gods smiled upon us... yellow light.

Unfortunately there was a semi in the right lane that I couldn't get in front of, so I'm behind the Chevelle at the light. He sticks his hand out the window and holds his fingure up as to say "hold on". The light turns green, and the semi turns right... YES! I quickly pull into the other lane and line up with him. We both rev a couple of times and kinda laugh at each other. I bring the revs up to around 3700 and then give him the nod to let it go.

Loud roar and smoking tires, that's my sign to go. I slowly feed out the clutch and nail the throttle, nice quick launch, no wheel chirp, just a nice quick lunge forward.

Top of first gear, and I'm about 1/2 a car past him. He grabs second gear and his tires light up again. I top 2nd and am about 1 car ahead of him. Shift to third and start to walk away... I win.

I shut down at about 6800 in 3rd and was about 2.5 cars in front of him. He gets up beside me and is all puzzled looking, I just kinda laughed and gave him the devil horns. We paced each other up the road just kinda screwin around for the next few miles.

We both took the same exit and get to the next light and there is a severely riced out Lancer, I believe it was the OZ Rally edition, but couldn't tell. It definitely was not a Evo. We split to each side of him, me on the left and the Chevelle on the right. We both start reving and staring at the kid. He just kinda starts shaking his head like "Heeeeeeeellll no!!". We kinda laughed and nodded at him and took off on up the road where we eventually took our perspective exits. But it was a pretty fun experience, import meets domestic and all. Just thought I'd share

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

LoL.. Cool story. Sounds like fun. That EVO guy was a punk. I would've gone anyway.
    Keep hands away from rotating objects!!

The Chevelle SS w/ the 454 is one of the most bad ass cars ever. My dad had one about 10 years ago and sold it for like 9800. Now they go for at 40,000 in the pristine condition that thing was in. Oh how I miss that car.
    New Numbers
    466 rwhp
    473 rwtq
    XX Tuning tuned
    Southpaw = Ricer with a vette & 2 Gay 2 Curios (well not yet anyway!)

my neighboor has one that he did a complete restoration of it when he goes racing he starts smoking his tires from the middle of the block where he lives to the intersection thats about 100 yards long hes got 650 hp according to him, every now an then he asks me whether i am ready for him. I don't know about that other guy you were describing but he should have pulled on you in 3rd gear really badly but hey i am not saying no way, i wasn't there, good kill
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

bishop, i like your avatar. That reminds me of a sign in my town, ill get a picture of it up soon.

good race BTW. friendly races are nice to read about

My dad has a 71 Vette with the LS-6 454. Impressive.

This is one of the first times I've ever heard of a muscle car guy being nice to an import guy. Nice to know that we can all get along

Nice kill btw

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    i dream about that car :drool:
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by Tail_Lights_Fad
    This is one of the first times I've ever heard of a muscle car guy being nice to an import guy. Nice to know that we can all get along

Nice kill btw
    Notice I mentioned he's a friends dad. His son drives a WRX too...well, sorta. Nobody drives that wrx now. It's missing a BUNCH of teeth on 2nd gear.

Most domestic fans are still rude

Im pretty sure I own a muscle car :P

Good to see Im not the ONLY guy with an old car that likes new ones too.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

Originally posted by skyphix
    Im pretty sure I own a muscle car :P

Good to see Im not the ONLY guy with an old car that likes new ones too.
    Nope! I have a 64 442, although I wouldn't call that a muscle car in the true sense, I like old cars also...

Great story... friendly races are the best. No one likes a putz

P.S. That Chevelle rules!

sweet kill
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Was just thinking about this thread the other day so I thought I'd bump it. I know it's a few years old now, but I thought it still appropriate.

Sad sad news. My friend in the Chevelle passed away last month.

He was diagnosed with cancer affecting his liver, kidneys, spleen, and bowel. It was a very short illness, and he only made it a little over a month after diagnosis.

His son, my best friend, was stationed in Arifjan Kuwait when it happened. His General managed to get him back home in less than 72 hours so he could attend the wake and funeral.

The funeral was spectaular, with lots of nice cars showing up, street, strip, late model dirt, all kinds. He was heavily involved in Civil War Re-Enactment, and was buried with full Confedefrate Military rights with the Sons of the Confederate Army in attendance. Twenty-one gun blackpowder salute, and a 9 cannon send off.

I spent that night getting hammered with his friends and his son sharing memories of him.

He was a great man, and he is sorely missed.

His son and I are completely tearing apart the Chevelle and starting a full resto with modern suspension, brakes and driveline. G-machine style with a built LS7 swap. We put the other swap on indefinite hold till this is finished. The other swap being a RB26DETT into an S13. I'll get pics up once it's finished.

Just thought I'd share since that's one fewer true motorhead out there.

R.I.P - Rick D. Stover.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post

He was a great man, and he is sorely missed.

Just thought I'd share since that's one fewer true motorhead out there.

R.I.P - Rick D. Stover.

I started the thread feeling really good about the story you told. Now I'm here at the bottom and feeling awful for both you & his family.

thanks for sharing and his legacy will live on with the rebuilt chevelle.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast