Raced out Celica GTS vs my STi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced out Celica GTS vs my STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on my way to work and I ran into a guy driving a Celica GTS running an open ...

Raced out Celica GTS vs my STi

I was on my way to work and I ran into a guy driving a
    Celica GTS running an open exhaust ( very loud) with performance stickers and his track number on the window. He was definately playing the part of a big time racer.

For whatever reason, I was day dreaming when the light turned green (thinking about work) and he nails it and takes off. Before I had time to react he was gone. I didn't want to get into a high speed run trying to catch him so I just drove normally but kind of fast hoping to catch him up the road. To my luck he gets stuck at the next light. So I pull up next to him and wait for the green.

When the light turns green, I slip out the clutch and do a mellow launch, but I still put about 1+ car on him. Through second gear, I pull another 1-2 cars. When I shift into 3 rd gear , he gives up about 3-4 cars behind me.

It felt good to get a rematch against this kid and show him whats up (otherwise I'm sure he would have been in some Celica forum bragging about how he smoked an STi).
    At the next light he made a quick exit onto a side street so he wouldn't have to talk to me (or race again).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'm surprised you didn't smoke him more than that. but hey, pick on someone your own size.
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Originally posted by WiCkeDrEx
    i'm surprised you didn't smoke him more than that. but hey, pick on someone your own size.
    I'm like a dog. If it moves I chase it.

No, he was pretty quick. I would guess he had a low to mid 14 sec car. If I just went by stickers, he had a truck load of mods.

Just for fun I visited newcelica.org to see what some of the late model Celica's are running. There was one guy on their list that ran 9.45 in the 1/4 mile in a 2003 Celica. I would like to see what that car looks like. I seriously dought it has many 03 Celica parts on it. Another guy ran 12.3 @ 119 mph in an 01 Celica. Then there was a long list of guys running 13s @ 102 mph or so. This contined with even more running in the 14s. So there are a few fast Celica's out there.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    good kill...I still don't know why every GT-S owner thinks they drive a race car
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I'm like a dog. If it moves I chase it.

No, he was pretty quick. I would guess he had a low to mid 14 sec car. If I just went by stickers, he had a truck load of mods.

Just for fun I visited newcelica.org to see what some of the late model Celica's are running. There was one guy on their list that ran 9.45 in the 1/4 mile in a 2003 Celica. I would like to see what that car looks like. I seriously dought it has many 03 Celica parts on it. Another guy ran 12.3 @ 119 mph in an 01 Celica. Then there was a long list of guys running 13s @ 102 mph or so. This contined with even more running in the 14s. So there are a few fast Celica's out there.
    i don't think a street gts would be able to run 9s. also, it's hard to believe one in the 12s. I know the gts have some potential in it, but not that much potential. even if he drop in a turbo, there's other things he would need to worry about (traction). i seen a gts with a turbo running low 14s at the track. he was running falkin azenis and told me he still couldn't get traction. gts is a mid 15 sec car stock and can run 14s with i/h/e with a really good driver. they're decent, but not all that fast.
    Last edited by WiCkeDrEx; 08-08-2004 at 04:03 PM.
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

i don't think a street gts would be able to run 9s. also, it's hard to believe one in the 12s. I know the gts have some potential in it, but not that much potential. even if he drop in a turbo, there's other things he would need to worry about (traction). i seen a gts with a turbo running low 14s at the track. he was running falkin azenis and told me he still couldn't get traction. gts is a mid 15 sec car stock and can run 14s with i/h/e with a really good driver. they're decent, but not all that fast.
    A buddy of mine in Pinole had one and had basic bolt ons...whenever we'd all cruise somewhere (Jack in his z28, me in my supercharged GT, and Vince in the modded WRX) the guy could NEVER keep up. HAHA it was hilarious.
    2003 SRT-4

i/h/e apex i power FC (chip) they run 13.7@ 103 mph....i only know cause my brother wants one and wont shut up about it
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    good kill...I still don't know why every GT-S owner thinks they drive a race car

Because it is a race car, f00. The fastest evAr!
    Chris

1999 Integra LS

AIM: Aracheon

Originally posted by Aracheon
    Because it is a race car, f00. The fastest evAr!
    my bad, I forgot
    2003 SRT-4

that car may not be fastest car in a straight line, but it sure can go around the twisties. My best friend has an 02 gt-s and ive driven it myself. But in a straight line its kinda undersized.

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    my bad, I forgot

Yes, the 7th Gen Celica is deadly in the twisties. Even with stock suspension and good tires on the Celi, it would take a good suspension setup, tires, and a good driver for a WRX to outhandle one on pavement.

Very underpowered in a straight line because the GT-S is a HARD car to drive correctly. The best an N/A Celi has pulled at sea level is a 13.7, and that's with I/H/E/PFC/DRs/Excellent Driver
    Chris

1999 Integra LS

AIM: Aracheon

I had a couple of stop light wars with different gts's - They all think they are racecar drivers - I hate those cars - I really Really do - Just flat out have no res[ect for them, the ugly bodykits, the stupid front end, and the morons who drive and crash them like they are disposable in my area - I am so disappointed that the GTS isn't more of a threat - it's like racing a 3rd gen eclipse- people who drive them think they are invincible beause their car is a coupe and LOOKS fast- same type of attitude from the drivers or Tibourons, Celicas, Si's, Tegs, and new eclipse's. As far as cars like that go - a nice swapped mid ninties civic hatch fully built with no bodykit and no graphics/small rims would be my choice for making toast out of cocky assed non-turbo drivers.
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

Hey I like Celica's, not for the fact that it looks like a "racecar", or cause I think its fast (its not really), but for the fact that its a Great handling car. I heard every test review say how great the car handles. It may not have power, but sometimes having a car that handles great and drives good is better.

Cornering rules over srtaight line driving IMO.

There's a new Celica near me that seems to do quite well at autocrosses. The guy drives the piss out of it. I guess it should be viewed like the Miata - not designed for big power and fast in a straight line, more a handling car (?).

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

good race man against the gts....You should have put more than a car on him during the launch...The STI is one damn sexxy car I test drove it and man its nice. But yeah, a sti vs a celica is no contest...maybe from a roll it would be close but still the STI has the upper hand. I'm not sure about high speed, 100 and up.

As you all probably can tell, I have a celica and I have gone 14.0 at the track and have trapped anywhere from 98-101 mph with just intake/exhaust/header. This was done without any weight reduction such as taking out the seats and what not. I believe in running at the track what I run on the street. Well now that I have the powerfc, I'm guessing, I'm in the mid-high 13s. I'm making about 194 to the wheel at the moment and am shooting to get 200 whp. I have raced a lot of wrx in the past and it would usually have an outcome of this:

at the launch, wrx puts carlengths on me but at the end of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, i'm gaining back the distance and then I would continue to pull. It is always a close race. On the freeway though, its another story. I would pull from 60 and upward. I haven't raced a STI on the highway yet but I have raced an EVO and I have pulled on him. It was a stock evo so I know that once its modded, its a different story.

Well here is a little video I put together enjoy.

CrazyCelicaGTS Video
    01 CELICA GTS 6 SPEED

BEST TIME:
    14.03 Sacramento Speedway with I/H/E
    13.7 on G-tech with I/E/H/PFC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast