Raced out Celica GTS vs my STi - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Raced out Celica GTS vs my STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by humara hey, i'm not debating the handling of the car. i'm merely saying you could get similar ...

Re: options.

Originally posted by humara
    hey, i'm not debating the handling of the car. i'm merely saying you could get similar handling on several cars toyota makes. the matrix has the same wheelbase and suspension. holds quite a bit more stuff and/or people.

i would say platform engineering is a pretty popular topic and I'm not the only one interested in it. its a necessary evil in the auto industry. hell, the 350z shares the same platfrom with altima, maxima, quest, murano, g35, g35 coupe, etc...

i dont understand why you would just swear and tell me there is no reason to this conversation.

i'm sure your car is great handling. i'm not sure what you mean by putting up a great fight from a roll. i guess that's a nice way of saying getting beat? but hey, that's neither here nor there.

you have to say that the celica is nicer looking than a corolla or matrix or whatever else they decide to build off that platform. rav4.

but yeah, i'll uh stop saying **** for no reason. nice one.
    Dude, have you ever driven any of the cars in question out of curiosity? I'm not flamming you, just asking.

My wife has an '03 Corolla. ARe you claiming that the Corolla handles about the same as the Celica GTS? If so, I strongly urge you to go up to Toyota - spend 1/2 hour, I guarantee you they'd let you test drive both cars if you put up a good front. When you're done actually comparing the mag info to real life experiences, come back and give us your real impressions.

I mean, if you seriously think those cars handle the same..lol, you read too much fiction I guess.

Also, stock Celica GTS traps around the same in the 1/4 mile as a WRX, if not slightly higher. So when he says "puts up a good fight" he means the GTS might actually edge out the WRX.

Honestly, you put up a good act in terms of trying to keep this conversation lighthearted, but then you throw in your little underhanded cheap shots. At least be real here...
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just out of curiosity. I read in this threat that a stock Celi could possibly beat a WRX in the straightline. How?

R&T

I can agree that it could possibly keep up on certain occassions due to some turbo lag from the WRX. The best 0-60 from a stock GTS that I've heard of was 6.7, which was the early 7th gen and a good driver.

Last edited by onoitsaWRX; 08-12-2004 at 11:01 AM.
    Gian - '06 Aspen White STi
    My site.

Originally posted by onoitsaWRX
    Just out of curiosity. I read in this threat that a stock Celi could possibly beat a WRX in the straightline. How?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1425&page_num ber=8

I can agree that it could possibly keep up on certain occassions due to some turbo lag from the WRX. The best number from 0-60 from a GTS was 6.7, which was the early 7th gen and a good driver.

From a dig, the GTS cannot touch the WRX given that both cars have equal drivers. There's well over a 1/2 second difference (almost a full second) in the 1/4 mile times. No way from a dig is the Celi touching the WRX.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by smokey
    From a dig, the GTS cannot touch the WRX given that both cars have equal drivers. There's well over a 1/2 second difference (almost a full second) in the 1/4 mile times. No way from a dig is the Celi touching the WRX.
    That's what i thought. Thanks Smokey
    Gian - '06 Aspen White STi
    My site.

Have any of you Celica guys tried the TRD ( factory warrantied) supercharger ?
    Platinum WRX Wagon Cobb Stage2
    TXS stealth back/UP with custom Magnaflow muffler
    whiteline adj rear sb, whiteline Antilift kit, whiteline rear strut brace, front strut brace, MRT lightened pulley
    No more AEM Cai ! , 3/16 mod, Grounding mod, Kartboy SS and bushing, Autometer 3 gauge pack and A-pillar

[i]

i'm sure your car is great handling. i'm not sure what you mean by putting up a great fight from a roll. i guess that's a nice way of saying getting beat? but hey, that's neither here nor there.

[/B]

your confused..i dont own a celica gts...i own a wrx...i'm not thickheaded nor narrowminded..i respect all cars for what they can do, and by give it a good fight i mean it can stay close or even take a wrx off a roll stock ...its probably a drivers race off a roll...either that or depending on what speeds you start at..they do trap about the same
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

hey, i'm not debating the handling of the car. i'm merely saying you could get similar handling on several cars toyota makes.

The first part of your argument is laughable, at best, and let me explain. Go to a Toyota dealership. Sit in an 00+ Celica. Then go sit in an 03+ Corolla. First thing you'll notice is how much higher off the ground you sit in the Corolla. Second thing you'll notice is how much taller, and how much higher the mass of the Corolla sits. The suspension setups may be similar in build, but when you take the mass of a vehicle and raise it with higher profile tires, the handling characteristics of said cars are NOT going to be the same. As a matter of fact, I'm driving an 04 Corolla LE as a loaner car at the moment, and I'll tell you this. The 45MPH curve in the highway that I can take at 80 in my Celica, SQUEALS the tires and I feel like the Corolla is going to flip at 55.

The second part of this argument I'm going to consider nullified until you've actually done it. Whilst I don't consider racing from a roll to be a real race, it's still a demonstration of vehicle speed and power. The GT-S vs. the WRX, from a roll, stock for stock, and the WRX will lose. Every time. Why? The Celica's power-to-weight ratio is a little better... it's considerably lighter, has a drivetrain advantage, and it's also geared better. I've done this several times, even against a modded WRX, and he edged me out by almost 2 cars from 65-100.. this was on a thrashed engine with my car BONE stock, I might add.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but magazine racing doesn't stand up in my book. Until you've actually experienced the cars in question, I don't think you have a valid argument.

This is true. That AWD advantage is INCREDIBLE, and the Celica just doesn't have enough oomph to catch a WRX in on 1,320 feet. Not going to happen... I totally agree. Not to mention I've raced a WRX from a stop and got my ass handed to me.

Have any of you Celica guys tried the TRD ( factory warrantied) supercharger ?
    No... the reason being, is because the TRD supercharger, while designed for the Celica's 1ZZ engine, is NOT designed to fit under the hood without modifying it. It's designed for the Matrix. I think it's been done, but there's alot of work involved.
    Chris

1999 Integra LS

AIM: Aracheon

Now in reading this heated debate I told myself I was not going to get involved but coming from someone who owns neither cars and has driven both I think the Celica GT-S has about the same top end as the WRX. I have also heard other wrx and celica owners say the same thing. Just my $.02 boys, back to the debate.
    Really
    Idiotic
    Car
    Enhancements

--Nuff Said--

Click here to visit the Grand Am's web page

flame war.

First, I'm going to admit, I was in a bad mood and probably came across as an ass. I apologize to all, since I haven't posted too much here and I've already pissed some people off. Anyway, the sarcasm is off, if anything in this post is annoying, its strictly unintentional.

Now, getting back to the original intent of the debate or conversation as the case may be.

The Celica is definately a better handling car than the Corolla. Since the chassis is almost identical on the two, this can mainly be attributed to tires, spring rates, and shock damping/valving. I would imagine a corolla with the same shocks/springs/tire package would handle almost identically. the curb wieghts between the two are within 25 lbs. 2500 vs 2528 for the corolla. So, as with any car, suspension tuning and parts selection will make more of a difference than shared frame construction. Getting back to the 350z for comparison, obviously that handles much better than say an altima, and that can be attributed to suspension tuning and parts selection.

I've driven a corolla for about 2 weeks before I got my WRX and I will say that the interior build quality and materials selection blows the subaru away. toyota is really putting these things together nicely.

I've only driven a Celica for a brief time at a ride and drive. It is a very well behaved car. Definately more stable at speed than a stock WRX.
    Power delivery however is another matter. IMHO I felt it was a little too much work to keep the car in its sweet spot.

The GT-S vs. the WRX, from a roll, stock for stock, and the WRX will lose. Every time. Why? The Celica's power-to-weight ratio is a little better... it's considerably lighter, has a drivetrain advantage, and it's also geared better. I've done this several times, even against a modded WRX, and he edged me out by almost 2 cars from 65-100.. this was on a thrashed engine with my car BONE stock, I might add.
    Could you please clarify that? You say the wrx will lose everytime from a roll but then go on to say that he edged you out by 2 cars.

As for the power to weigh ratio between the cars...

wrx 3085lbs at 227hp = 13.59lbs/hp

celica 2500lbs at 180hp =13.88lbs/hp

Although I'm guessing with drivetrain losses counted the wrx has a less desirable lbs/hp ratio.

I'm sure torque also plays a role in this comparison and someone else here can and probably will chime in.

Anyway, again I apologize to all. And from this thread I have a new found respect for the Celica. Another benefit in favor of the celica is fuel economy. 25 city and 32 freeway or something to that effect. THAT right there is almost enough to make me eat my words and switch. Then you also have the legendary toyota build quality. Personally I haven't had any problems with my subie yet (knock wood) at only 8k miles. but my parents 1983 celica with 200k miles plus still runs great. Now I just hope the WRX side of this discussion doesn't take that out on me.

Re: flame war.

The Celica is definately a better handling car than the Corolla. Since the chassis is almost identical on the two, this can mainly be attributed to tires, spring rates, and shock damping/valving. I would imagine a corolla with the same shocks/springs/tire package would handle almost identically. the curb wieghts between the two are within 25 lbs. 2500 vs 2528 for the corolla. So, as with any car, suspension tuning and parts selection will make more of a difference than shared frame construction. Getting back to the 350z for comparison, obviously that handles much better than say an altima, and that can be attributed to suspension tuning and parts selection.
    another thing you have to considered is the weight distrubtion of the car...that has a lot to do with the handling aspect as well. So when you are trying to compare a corrolla to a celica is like comparing a apple to orange. It just doesn't work. Yes they are built around the same design but it ends right there. Almost every car company uses the same design platform for all their cars...its a cost saving factor for them.

About the power to weight ratio, what does a typical stock wrx dyno in at? around 160-170 at the wheels? The celica stock puts out around 160-165. Now factor in the weight of the car....2500 lbs vs 3085. So yeah, after all that, you can see how a roll on race would favor the celica. The wrx has the advantage at a dead stop due to the AWD and getting out of the hole faster than the celica or any fwd cars. A typical 60 foot for a wrx is around 1.7-2.0 whereas the celica, you would have to launch like crazy to get a 2.1 or even a 2.0. That is why the wrx gets to 60 faster and so on. Like I sayed before...when I race a wrx, they usually pull a couple of carlengths on me at the start but I will start to reel them in.

The good thing about the wrx beside the AWD is the turbo. You guys can easy make more power out than the celica with less money spent. I envy you guys on that.
    01 CELICA GTS 6 SPEED

BEST TIME:
    14.03 Sacramento Speedway with I/H/E
    13.7 on G-tech with I/E/H/PFC

rem

Re: flame war.

I've only driven a Celica for a brief time at a ride and drive. It is a very well behaved car. Definately more stable at speed than a stock WRX. Power delivery however is another matter. IMHO I felt it was a little too much work to keep the car in its sweet spot.

The Celica is better described as a high-revving go-kart. It's fun as hell to drive, but has nothing resembling a linear powerband. It IS alot of work to keep it in it's sweet spot. Consider we get no power until 6,000 rpm, and it only lasts until 8,350.

Could you please clarify that? You say the wrx will lose everytime from a roll but then go on to say that he edged you out by 2 cars.

I said stock for stock, the WRX will lose everytime. Read what I said again... the example I provided was that I raced a modded WRX.

Anyway, again I apologize to all. And from this thread I have a new found respect for the Celica. Another benefit in favor of the celica is fuel economy. 25 city and 32 freeway or something to that effect. THAT right there is almost enough to make me eat my words and switch. Then you also have the legendary toyota build quality.
    I get a consistant 32MPG every tank, with mixed highway and city driving. With a high-revving engine and a 6-speed transmission, it's a pain in the ass to drive around town because you're always shifting. And yes, it's reliable as hell.
    Chris

1999 Integra LS

AIM: Aracheon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.