BMW M5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on BMW M5 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Has anyone raced one of these four door sedans? They are supposedly fast after 80 or so? Not so fast ...

Question BMW M5

Has anyone raced one of these four door sedans? They are supposedly fast after 80 or so? Not so fast from a stop. I would like to hear from our club members that have raced one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not yet, although I've tailed probably like three here in San Diego.

I raced one in my old S4 (w/ MTM chip (300+hp) and while he didnt spank me I had to work the S4 HARD to keep up. After 120 he start to pull even harder. I wouldnt mess with one on the open highway (they are not that fast in a tighter traffic situations, because they are boats) unless you're packing at least 300hp...even then you're still 100hp short on the top end, you'd get pulled up top.

We shouldnt have too much of a problem taking one off the line if you've got the usual ins and outs.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Based on magazine tests, the m5 is capable of 13 flat in the 1/4mile with a competent driver, but the beemer definately shines up top at speed rather than from a stop. (kinda like the big turbo supras). Unfortunately, I haven't had a run-in with a m5 yet..
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

I ran one the night of June 7th. I remember it all tooo clearly. SPoke to the guy first, then asked him for a run. he kinda laughed but said "sure". I got a great launch, he sat there and burnt out. I had him BIG TIME through second gear, then he ripped by me like I was in a frickin LADA. Don't even think of going with them from a roll, there is nooooooway you can hang with them. We stopped after the race. He loved the REX and couldn't believe I had him for two gears. But no question about it, even with my exhaust and boost controller, he spanked me bad!!
    Don't flame. Be nice

Have not raced one in my WRX but I have ridden in one..they are simply awesome. Definitely highway monsters. A friend of mine here at work owns one and I once gave him a ride in my old TTZ for a ride in his M5. The M5 was amazing for such a big heavy car, great handling, incredible brakes, massive torque always available. And that V8 sings when it up on the cams.

We had the fortune to run against a C5 on the highway from 80mph to ludicrous speed, the vette didnt have a chance, just walked away from it with ease. ...but my TTZ smoked his M5

I have no doubt a properly modded wrx could hand an M5 its azz, but the M5 would be my vehicle of choice for carrying 4 or 5 people and running 150+ all day on the autobahn. The M5 is a car that will just never be used in the USA the way BMW intended.
    Very Sweet Machine!!!
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

str
    M class BMW's are simply awesome. the handle and have incredible power. i believe those things run high 13's stock or low 13's and they all have high top end, right out of the factory. can't beat that. i was in my V6 Accord one day on the highway and an 540, passed me while I was doing nearly 120 easily. He had to of hit at least 150. i can only imagine what an M class would do on the open road.
    Last edited by str; 08-06-2002 at 12:27 PM.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Yes, I have raced a M5 before. It was not with my WRX though. Before the market dumped last year I have a 500HP Saleen, being that I am a technical recruiter in the Silicon bay area, I sold it due to lack of funds.

I was on the freeway at about 80mph and downshifted into 3rd which was between 4500-4800 rpm. At that point I did not have enough boost to instantly pull away. He stood right next to me until about 110 and then I pulled away.

Further up the road we ran again. This time I downshifted and was at about 5500rpm, which was perfect for the supercharger I had. We both nailed it and instantly pulled out in front of him and could see him in my rear view mirror. It was awesome.

Other car I raced with my Saleen and won:

Ferarri F355 spider F1 (this wasn't even a challenge
    2002 Porsche Twin Turbo (a tie, that car is fast, you should have seen the look on his face)
    96/97 Porsche 3 widebody (We raced on the freeway, I kept in 5th the whole time up to 140-he could not pull away)
    C5 Corvette- no problem

Sorry for the "back in the day stories"

For a minute there I forgot this is a WRX forum.

str
    Damn! Your Saleen sounds like it was a beast! What did that thing run in the 1/4?
    2004 Black Forester XT

what year saleen?
    free food is the best food

It was a 2000 Saleen. Silver with Chrome 18's. The car was a absolute beast. By the time I put a new forged motor in with the supercharger and fuel system it cost me nearly 15k.

The best I ever got out of the car on the factory tires was 12.80 @115 with a 2.2 60 foot. It doesn't sound very good, but it was not easy getting the tires to hook.

For a 2 valve motor in 2000 that was a lot of power.

mph says it all. If you hooked up you'd probably get it into the mid 11's. Try it with an ET Street or Hoosier QT Pro. Just watch your turns.

Just re-read your post above. Didn't realize you sold it.

WRX can't even run with E46 M3 on the top end, I don't know why we even bring up M5.. lol.

being the resident bimmer owner here I feel compeled to say something. With the M5 containing 394hp @ 6600 rpm and 368lbs @ 3800 I'm sure it's spank WRX's from a dead stop even with an uppie, MBC and new exhaust.
    Originally posted by str
    i was in my V6 Accord one day on the highway and an 540, passed me while I was doing nearly 120 easily. He had to of hit at least 150.
    What year? cuz my 2000 540i has an electronic governer at 128 that can only be removed by replacing the oem software (ala dinan or the like) *thank god i can get discounted dinan*
    - M a t t -

mmmmm, beautiful.
    1997 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
    It's Blurple and Slow.
    111*106*15979
    http://www.10-94.net/misc/sig.jpg
    The 10/94 Forum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by daiviouth
    being the resident bimmer owner here I feel compeled to say something. With the M5 containing 394hp @ 6600 rpm and 368lbs @ 3800 I'm sure it's spank WRX's from a dead stop even with an uppie, MBC and new exhaust.

the extra 1000 lbs of weight might make it closer than you think up until triple digits...of course it is a bmw so it must be unbeatable
    Last edited by SobeWRX; 08-09-2002 at 11:57 AM.

hey hey hey, no need for sarcasm, but it is M-class and i can almost hang, somewhat, with my friends modded wrx (up pipe, down pipe, midpipe, turbo back exhaust, cai, turbo timer, boost controller - i think there are a couple more mods - chipped i think) and he beats the RX-7 by about a car, and i can almost beat the rx-7 and im only a 540i 6-speed w/ 282hp and 325lbs. with 114 more hp and 43 more lbs torque (at lower rpms than my car) i'm still confidant it could hang in the 1/4. Manuvering, even w/ the m-suspension would be a different story. my friend (the homelite xl) and I took our cars (stock WRX and bimmer) out to a parking lot the other night after/ during a huge storm. i was doing mad doughnuts, prolly arond 1.5g+. but he just couldn't get his to do it. so i took car out, got it up to around 40mph (wet lot remind you) cranked the wheel and floored the gas and i still couldn't get a decent doughnut outta it. i didn't wanna try using the parking brake to assist, although im sure it would've. i was really impressed.

- M a t t -
    1997 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
    It's Blurple and Slow.
    111*106*15979
    http://www.10-94.net/misc/sig.jpg
    The 10/94 Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast