BMW M5 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on BMW M5 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Haven't raced one, but I've driven my uncle's, does that count? The best part was the soothing woman's voice from ...

Haven't raced one, but I've driven my uncle's, does that count? The best part was the soothing woman's voice from the navigation system calming me down. No wait, the best part was the smooth-*ss 394 HP . Back on topic, with an MBC you could probably hold with one, or even beat it to 60-70. But after that, there's no way without serious mods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

M5

To the gentleman that stated that the M5 was somewhat sluggish off the start is way off, from personal experience it is plenty competent off the line if the driver can narness its big horsepower,
    take care,
    christopher
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

Re: M5

Originally posted by WRX=Imprezzed
    To the gentleman that stated that the M5 was somewhat sluggish off the start is way off, from personal experience it is plenty competent off the line if the driver can narness its big horsepower,
    take care,
    christopher
    I apologize for my naive comment. I was going by what others have said in various forums. I was just hoping that our 25K WRX would be an even match for the awesome M5 even if it was from 0 to 40. Please don't get me wrong, I would love to own an M5 if I can afford one. I think the are stealthy supercars hiding behind four doors and a trunk. In a way like our WRXs to a certain degree.
    Last edited by madmmt; 08-13-2002 at 07:26 AM.

probably an even match from 0-30.

There's a guy I know who has a new M5 and a 911T. Anyway, we all met up to go to the drag races. He drove his 911T and he let his friend drive the M5.

I really didn't know too much about the M5 but it wasn't that impressive. At best he was running maybe 13.7 and the rest high 13's. The 911T though was phenominal, all stock except a k/n airfilter and exhaust, nothing else done to it. The first two runs it pulled 12.3's.

Stock for stock, yes, the M5 will kill a WRX in a straight line but I don't think so on a road course (both competently driven). The M5 BTW, is fairly heavy. Modded WRX (turbo uprgade) against a M5 is not even worth talking about.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 08-13-2002 at 08:48 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

M5

Your comment was not naive, no big deal. The only reason i say something is that my Father has a 2002 M5 and have raced some crazy fast cars and come up on top every time. One was a zr-1 vette, 95 or so, and with three people in the car (M5) and a full tank of gas we walked the vette pretty steadily to 120 from a standstill. that is the closest race we've had.
    Me and my kid brother were in his mustang and cruising at like 70 mph(55 frwy) when a Ferrari 360 hardtop was even with an M5 last summer and accerlating fast, it was phenominal. Well, we haven't been to the track to get a timeslip, but my pop is a seasoned veteran when it comes to race cars and the like, and i think he could match what the magazines achieve in their testing. sorry for rambling, i just get really excited about the M5.
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

I hope you aren't saying that a stock m5 can pull on on f360

M5 even with F360?

One's a mid 13 sec car the other is a low 12....
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

I don't want to magazine race but..
    according to car-stats.com

Ferrari 360 F1 13 seconds
    BMW M5 13.1 seconds

I have seen better numbers on the Ferrari where it pulled mid 12's. But M5 is no slouch either. Ferrari should walk it pretty easily once the speedo hits 120+.

both have similar horse power, but the f360 weighs about a 1000 pounds less...it seems this would give the 360 a considerable advantage, plus it has has to have better aerodynamics..
    $0.02

M5 has some torque...
    i am just stating what i saw, i am not a bench-racer, the M5 is capable of more that most may think given the correct driver....
    take care,
    christopher
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

im just saying that i dont think a stock m5 pull be able to pull on a f360, a modified one could but not stock.

I think we are giving the m5 a little to much respect

I begg to differ. But that is okay, i have a biased opinion, my dad has one and a ferrari 360 on the way, i'm just saying that on the top end, which i saw for my own eyes, that it was a helluva close race, not a big deal.
    take care
    chris
    05 SMG M3
    04' WRX
    01' M5
    soontobetwinturboE92

Unhappy

I did and can you say toasty!, another thing is i think we were both racing stock for stock too. Man that car was fast he was like 3 to 5 miles ahead yikes!
    Subaru 17' inch BBS wheels /w Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires, STi Pedals and Tint so far :-P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.