How does the WRX fair against cars on High End
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How does the WRX fair against cars on High End within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How does a stock WRX (not STi) fair against other vehicles on the freeway at speeds 70+. I am asking ...

How does the WRX fair against cars on High End

How does a stock WRX (not STi) fair against other vehicles on the freeway at speeds 70+. I am asking about cars such as base Mustang's, GT Mustang's, GSR's, Prelude's, Type S RSX's, 330i's, 350z's, regular/turbo Supras, s2000's, turbo Eclipse's, GT-S Celica's....

Does the AWD and the fact that its a 4cly screw the WRX when it comes to high end? I drive my WRX on the freeway and havent really raced anyone and would just like to know the possible outcomes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

not so good.

WRX is not a highway racer. Best advice: Don't race on the highway.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Would it be classifyed as slow?? I mean i could handle a RSX and celica right?

With AWD our cars (stock) put down somewhere around the range of 160 to 170 AWHP. I believe that's pretty close to an RSX-S but correct me if I'm wrong. The gearing on those cars may be better too so it's hard to say what the outcome would be. My car was only stock for the first 1000 mile break in and I didn't race it then anyways so I'm not sure how you'd do. My guess is you'd not win so save yourself the embarrasement and don't race.
    05 Crystal Gray STi

Top end racing is for unskillful wannabes. Even launching takes more skill and going around turns is in a whole different league. Aerodynamics play a part of it as well.

-Chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

this is un true... highway racing takes skill also; u must visualize where u can go next, u have to know how fast ur car can get into gaps and out of them, how fast u can jink to one side and also what gear to shift down too and to build ur boost and match rpm speeds when u do. when i only had my car stock and i was breaking it in i beat all the 3 series beamers except an m3.(never got to race them) no stock honda can beat that car even on the free ways. but the new 6 speed rsx is a different story. i cant waite to race one of those. mustang g.t.'s will take u after about 110mph. and if u catch a camaro --- start drafting off of him ull be supsrised how long u stay right on his bumper but hell eventually pull away.

Originally posted by hksimprezawrx
    this is un true... highway racing takes skill also; u must visualize where u can go next, u have to know how fast ur car can get into gaps and out of them, how fast u can jink to one side and also what gear to shift down too and to build ur boost and match rpm speeds when u do. when i only had my car stock and i was breaking it in i beat all the 3 series beamers except an m3.(never got to race them) no stock honda can beat that car even on the free ways. but the new 6 speed rsx is a different story. i cant waite to race one of those. mustang g.t.'s will take u after about 110mph. and if u catch a camaro --- start drafting off of him ull be supsrised how long u stay right on his bumper but hell eventually pull away.
    i think you are a bit wrong. first of all, i think that a well driven 330 will be a wrx stock up high. rsx will not beat a wrx up top. an rsx-s is a different story, its pretty much down to the driver. The rsx-s if not mistaken, ever since their introduction came in 6-speed, right? if its a z28, trans am, ws6, formula, ss, etc. best guess is that you take the next exit so that you dont make a fool out of yourself. i guess, though, that it is always a drivers race. when i had my wrx(auto) with just upp, dp, catback, bc... i took a number of z28's from a roll, though on paper, its a different thing.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Originally posted by hksimprezawrx
    this is un true... highway racing takes skill also; u must visualize where u can go next, u have to know how fast ur car can get into gaps and out of them, how fast u can jink to one side and also what gear to shift down too and to build ur boost and match rpm speeds when u do.
    If you actually do what you are describing here with other people on the highway, then you are an idiot and do not deserve the car you have. Don't be ignorant. Highway racing is retarded and should never be done.
    05 Crystal Gray STi

How about GSR's and Type R's? New and old gen turbo supras?

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    LOL
    2003 SRT-4

People shouldnt say highway racing is retarded if they do things like drag racing or something of that nature. Racing in general is not safe (except those organized track events) and i bet almost all wrx owners race their cars on the streets from time to time.

Originally posted by WRXakaBooSTi
    People shouldnt say highway racing is retarded if they do things like drag racing or something of that nature. Racing in general is not safe (except those organized track events) and i bet almost all wrx owners race their cars on the streets from time to time.
    Drag racing at 2 in the am down an abandoned road is a little different than weaving in and out of traffic needlessly endangering the lives of people who want nothing to do with our hobby. Therefore I stand by my statement. Highway racing is for morons.
    05 Crystal Gray STi

no to mention, doesnt the impreza frame start getting unstable past 100?
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

never heard of that, but i dont think even a hyundais frame would be unstable at over 100. i dont think cars like that would be allowed on the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast