2005 STi vs 1999ish Mustang GT

This is a discussion on 2005 STi vs 1999ish Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wednesday Night Adventures in Rochester, NY There we are, cruising around downtown Rochester going to a coffee shop in the ...

2005 STi vs 1999ish Mustang GT

Wednesday Night Adventures in Rochester, NY

There we are, cruising around downtown Rochester going to a coffee shop in the STi. My girlfriend, buddy Joe, and I were going to Spot Coffee to hang out for a while and on our way there we saw a Mustang GT. We pulled up behind him at a red light and he (and his two friends) looked back and started revving their GT. Flow-masters to the max! I gave him "the nod" and he took off at the green light. I slowly drove toward the next red light just to be a punk didn't try to move quickly at all. He looked like a big fool tearing @ss out of the intersection all alone!

So we follow this GT all around downtown until we get near the coffee shop. He turned and we went a block down to turn around and catch up to where he turned. I rolled by him as he was parking and revved the engine a few times, just to mess around. Yes, I was being a pretty big dork but man it's amusing!

Anyway, about two hours later they are leaving their destination just as we are leaving the coffee shop! What a coincidence!! We jumped in the STi and caught up with this kid and his buddies about two blocks away. Once we caught up we stopped at a red light with this kid and talked to him. I thought for sure he was going to be a pr1ck but he and his friends were really cool! Of course, he could have been a pr1ck because we were following him around and just taunting him (boredom). I would not have blamed him at all. At any rate, we are talking and he convinces me to race him one block to the next red light downtown. After about 30 seconds I was sold. Heck, I could get away from the cops, right?

There we are at the red light, the GT is about 3-4 feet ahead of me (so that we could talk through our windows more easily) and the light goes green. When I saw the yellow light in the opposite direction I started revving between 4 and 6k to spool the turbo. (Something I learned by reading these forums!) The light went green and in about one second I was a full car length ahead of this kid! It was no contest at all. I was already stopping at the next red light when he was catching up to me. Holy $h1t I love my STi. That was the most exhilarating launch I have ever embarked on in my life! I and everyone else in the car were thrown back into the seats (as expected)!

Needless to say, the STi toasted this kid. We talked a bit more about cars, mods, and such at the next red light and then went our separate ways. We were both totally stock except for I have a boost gauge (haha it helps emotionally) and he had flow-masters. Again, Holy $h1t I love my STi!

The moral of this long and drawn out story (well not moral as much a list of things I learned):
    1. AWD rocks for launches
    2. RWD Mustang GTs with flow-masters don't stand a chance
    3. Street racing is a HUGE adrenaline boost
    4. Street racing is really stupid - getting caught would have sucked
    5. Not all Ford/Mustang owners are d1cks or import haters
    6. I totally love my STi
    Black 2005 STi
    Mods: iPod resting in console and turbo gauge

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i launched my sti the other day at 5k, the tires chirped and i was happy. nice kill
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    good kill. GT's in stock or slightly modded form should be easy pickings for you. Just watch out for geared/full bolt on GTs, they can hit high 12s with the right driver.
    2003 SRT-4

What road dowtown was this?
    I go to RIT, I might have seen your STi around ( black or white?)

good kill

Brandon
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n