Test Drove a 2005 Legacy GT

This is a discussion on Test Drove a 2005 Legacy GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A buddy of mine is interested in the new Legacy so we went down the the dealership to check them ...

Thumbs up Test Drove a 2005 Legacy GT

A buddy of mine is interested in the new Legacy so we went down the the dealership to check them out. I tried to convince him to get a stick, but, he wants more luxury then performance They only had one auto on the lot and it was a white GT Limited. My buddy drove it first and it was a really sweet car. The interior was very nice and confortable, and was fairly roomy. We cruised around a bit and the salesman kept telling my buddy to drive it fast and "get it up to 100." It felt fairly quick however it seemed like the car was beat to hell. It had 200 something miles on it and it was running hot, the temp guage was about at the 3/4 mark . We pulled onto a empty street and the salesman told my buddy to bring it to a stop and punch it to feel all of it's power. My buddy put it in sport mode and punched it and..... nothing happened, it bogged really bad and I think a civic would of blown us away! I'm not sure what happened there but it was kind of wierd. I'm used to a manual so I am not sure if there's some way to launch it or what. Then I drove it, it handled good, it reminded me of the way some of the new Jaguar's or Volvo's handled. Very smooth and buttoned down with very little lean around turns, it felt somewhat numb. I prefer my WRX's handling and overall feel. The steering didn't have a lot of play like my WRX's though. I tried to swing the rear end around a turn and it would not budge an inch. The salesman said it was due to it having a longer wheelbase then the WRX. As far as power goes it felt good once you got going (about the same as a stock wrx over 60) but slower than my car in first and second gears. I am not sure if this car was just tore up or what. I am assuming if it was broken in properly and had some miles on it it would be quicker. Anyone else have any experience with the auto Legacy's? Overall I thought it was a sweet ride, but not as in your face like the WRX.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I test drove the 05 GT in a 5-spd, and I pretty much agree with your write up. Its power is smoother than the WRX, and it doesnt feel as fast, and it definately isnt. It has sligt turbo lag below 2,000 RPM, and when it hits boost, it doenst pin you back like the WRX can. It's also not designed to be as in your face as the WRX is. I really liked the new Legacy and thought it was a great blend of performance and sport for the money. Handling was pretty good, but Subaru has to stop using the RE92 Potenzas on everyone of their freaking cars! For people who want WRX like power, yet want a more "adult" car, the Legacy GT is definately hard to pass up!
    -Marc
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

Bet it is faster than the WRX numbers-wise though, especially comparing automatics to automatics. Don't think it will be as powerful (numbers and feeling wise) as the Forester XT, that thing has brutal low-end. Need to drive both the same day.

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=5;t=000790

"The trap speeds were horrible. Even Bleuquila, in her Cobb Stage 2 WRX couldn't break out of the 91's."

Limited wagon ran 14.5 at 91 mph a couple of times. 60 foot times were 2.1 seconds.

-B

I have had my 2005 Legacy GT for a month now, close to 1900 miles on it. It's a 5MT, and it's definitely faster than the 5EAT. I test drove a 5EAT before I ordered mine, and although it was pretty good, nothing beats a manual. Also, for some reason, the car does not respond well to "punching it". I have found it's better to quickly roll into the throttle and the car takes off. A friend of mine who owns a WRX rode with me, and when I redlined it in 1st and 2nd, he was very impressed. I love the car.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I like them

Thanks for the review, I'm SERIOUSLY considering trading my wife's 03 outback for one (so serious that I've already had several chats with the local dealer concerning pricing)...they will do invoice on the car and with auto (she won't do stick), security, mirror, rubber mats, & wheel locks the car car comes out at $24,4K.......out the door with taxes and all 25,4K.......her outback is a pig when it comes to getting on the highway or passing someone........I figure this won't beat my sti but at least when the whole family is on a road trip I can merge and not have too many issues. I like the way the car looks, reminds me in a way of a volvo (as one guy said above).
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

My car is for sale now for this very reason - I must have a Legacy GT! I haven't enjoyed a sedan this much since my Galant VR4.

I'm planning major mods right from the beginning. It may take a while for everything to be available but it looks something like: FP Green, full exhaust, fuel system, bigger TMIC, and the electronics to support it all. I should have it in the 12s within a few weeks of purchase.

The car is well put together. The leather is great, no wind noise at interstate speeds, suspension is firm without being teeth-rattling. The best part is nobody will have a clue of what just blew their doors off. I can't believe people will be choosing Camrys and Accords over this car.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

All the older people that i work with are still under the unsumption that subaru is sh*t. I hear all the stories of how they were junk in the 80's.

I guess they still have a image of a 1980 rusty brat with 2 seats in the back and sounding like it was about to die.
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

Originally posted by Mabf355
    For people who want WRX like power, yet want a more "adult" car, the Legacy GT is definately hard to pass up!
    -Marc
    Except for the fact that it looks just like a camry from most angles.
    If the styling had any balls, it would be a pretty good car. I too, drove a 5mt last week and was somewhat impressed by the car, just not by the styling.

My dad ended up going to the nissan dealer and grabbing a 350z track edition instead of the legacy. I think it was prob a good move.
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

If you're going to leave a car stock, there are other choices out there that are similar. For anyone planning mods, there's no better sedan out there.

Originally posted by John M
    If you're going to leave a car stock, there are other choices out there that are similar. For anyone planning mods, there's no better sedan out there.
    There is NO better sedan out there?

The legacy would be fun to mod though.
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

Well of course I'd like one of the AMG offerings and I'd take an Audi RS6 over anything, but if you have $80-200k to spend on a car, the Legacy isn't even on your map.

Th3Franz - I welcome your input (saw your name on the front page but assume the post was deleted). I'm lurking at legacysti.com (I'll post eventually) - your car is what I'm looking for!

Does anyone know 0-60 times or 1/4 mile for an Auto? I looked around the net a bit with no luck.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

No magazine has taken any version for instrumented testing, and nobody that I've found has taken theirs to the track, manual or auto.

I can't believe the magazines are ignoring this car but it's fine by me - keeps it all the more a sleeper.

Originally posted by John M

I can't believe the magazines are ignoring this car but it's fine by me - keeps it all the more a sleeper.
    Exactly! I thought for sure I'd see on the cover of C/D or Motortrend. I would like to see how it stacks up to Audi or BMW.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides: