HELP!!! Any 240SX Experts??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on HELP!!! Any 240SX Experts??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Uh - no. The KA is more than capable enough of making plenty of power for a long time. Iron ...

Uh - no. The KA is more than capable enough of making plenty of power for a long time. Iron block and forged crank plus more displacement is a GREAT starting point.

Example 1: http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That guy also has upgraded internals. You can build any engine to support forced induction. I'm just saying that the KA24 in its stock form is probably not a good candidate for forced induction. This guy ripped the engine apart and built it up to be a turbo motor.

We could get into a whole big debate on 240SX engine swaps, but it's already been done on other forums, just research it and do what you think you should.

Aftermarket support for the SR20s and RB25s completely outweighs everything for the KA though. The RB25 is the most populous Skyline engine over in Japan (not everybody drives GT-Rs) and the SR20 has been around forever. Both of those engines have the same support or more as Hondas have over here.

Regardless, fast 240s are kickass cars.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

This may be a very noob ?. But can you guys explain to me if its possible to register a 240 with an SR20 engine swap in Cali? If not, does that mean that all those guys with SR20s in Cali only run them at the track? Can you guys please elaborate.

Thanks

Edit: I just read the FAQ on Club240. But if you guys could please discuss any ways around these laws or any ways to get these cars on the road that is half way legal.
    Last edited by tela_pan; 07-31-2004 at 01:24 AM.

go to a shady emissions place and dont ever get pulled over. From what I've heard the cops out in Cali have a book of common illegal engine swaps with pictures of the engines installed and they will write you a ticket if you get pulled over and have one of the engines in your car.

The engines are not US street legal or emissions legal. Then again most aftermarket turbo kits arent either or our catless WRXs.

It's all just a matter of getting caught . . .
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

$2500 for an 1990 S13 is usually on the high side. It of course depends on the condition of the car. With 240sx becoming the popular "drift car", everyone that knows anything about it is jacking up the prices on the manual 240sx.

If you plan to "build" a car then go for a straight body 91 and up for SR swap in the future. 89 and 90 body usually will require some additional work to swap. Check Heavythrottle.com for their info on this. Freshalloy.com and use the search engine.

A 1990 240sx is woefully lacking in power. Putting somewhere near 110 to the wheels at best. Yes you will not need the power to drift, but most 240sx owners are not happy with the power. After driving your SRT4 I suspect you will get the mod itch.

Do not put money on bolt ons with a KA motor. It is a waste of money.

Turbo KAs can be very reliable in low boost applications. Search on Freshalloy, its been debated to death over and over.

If you plan to drift I would immediately invest in suspension, bushings, and a good two way differential. Then its all about practice. You can drift on an open diff but its much better to simply learn with a differential because the car is very different once there is a differential involved. Wheel and tire selection and also a good clutch will also go to help you drift. A well setup drift car is usually a little rough to be driving daily too.

BTW the 240sx does not make a very good winter car. So the daily driving thing might not work like you think. It is however very reliable car, with many running over 200K without major issues.

Good luck.

We live in SoCal Zen...so the winter thing is not an issue.
    Pretty much everything that's been said is right Greg, except for that you don't need power to drift. It's all about finesse. When we hit up drift day and get practice it'll come, but for now it will take us a while.

too much $$

I sold my 1992 240sx coupe about 2 yrs ago, with similar mileage for around $3k, and that was the newer body style w/ a DOHC KA engine, which the 1990 doesn't have. I would think a 1990 would cost between $1k and $1.5k, not $2.5k. The 1989 and 1990 240's are the lightest 240's though, so that is good if you don't mind the front bumper on them, as they are a little different than the DOHC bumper (not as smooth looking). Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12