Blown gasket leads to freedom

This is a discussion on Blown gasket leads to freedom within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This happened a month or two ago, and was referred to in my thread about my first recer fly-by. I ...

Blown gasket leads to freedom

This happened a month or two ago, and was referred to in my thread about my first recer fly-by.

I pulled onto the Mass. Pike at 3:00 am. after getting out of work, slid over to the left lane, and gunned it past some regular schmo's car. I looked to the right, and on the other side of that car was a new Explorer passing at the same speed I was. He moved to the lane next to me and tried to pass. I dropped it into 4th and gunned it up to 90 or so. He kept coming, so when he caught up I gunned it again.

This continued, in 5mph increments, up to about 110mph, when a terrible sound started coming from my engine. It was going putt-putt-putt with each engine pulse. I remembered that I had a temporary, homemade gasket between my cracked, warped Borla header and my uppipe, and the high speeds must have blown it. I slowed down to 75 and the Explorer kept barreling on. A half-mile later I saw blue lights ahead, and the Explorer was pulled over by a Statie. Although the header had been a pain in the ass since March, I'm sure glad it gave me problems that night! It's now in the garbage.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice suicide to sacrifical pull-over.......(wtf)
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Re: Blown gasket leads to freedom

Originally posted by McBain
    Although the header had been a pain in the ass since March, I'm sure glad it gave me problems that night! It's now in the garbage.
    And that is why I never did headers on my WRX. Has anyone realyl shown good gains over the stock manifold?

Anyway, glad it kept you out of trouble!
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

plus with headers you lose the beautiful boxer rumble.

It's nice when something works out like that.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

I was constantly fretting about the header. It was welded, warped, and leaking. I must've made four visits to various shops to remedy it. I gave up and switched to a ported stock header, and didn't lose any hp, but about 10 ft/lbs of torque. I can live with that, because the car sounds much better now. It is quieter and much deeper, and less raspy. It also seems to have smoothed out the power band in the high rpms.
    I just took these clips the other day, after switching headers. The car is catless.
    Borla header / Borla Hush video clip:
    http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
    ported stock header / Borla Hush video clip:
    http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
    Here's a dyno graph of before (black line)/after (blue line). Disregard the red line; that was done under a heavier load on the dyno. It was kinda humid on the day of the latest dyno run, and it was cool and dry for the run with the Borla. I've gotta get the car to the track to see how it does. My best was 13.2 at 105, 2.4 60'. It'll probably be a little slower, so now I need a nice TMIC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ported.jpeg  
    Last edited by McBain; 07-30-2004 at 12:58 AM.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Originally posted by McBain
    My best was 13.2 at 105, 2.4 60'. It'll probably be a little slower, so now I need a nice TMIC.
    2.4 60'? Is that a typo?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

No. I suck at launching.
    N.E. F4
    Mods