WRX vs 5.0 Mustang?

This is a discussion on WRX vs 5.0 Mustang? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Has anyone raced a late 80s low 90s 5.0 mustang with exhaust with there WRX with just little mods like ...

WRX vs 5.0 Mustang?

Has anyone raced a late 80s low 90s 5.0 mustang with exhaust with there WRX with just little mods like cat back and k&n air filter, and was able to pull on him in 3rd gear? Last night I raced one and we went from a 40 to 110mph and I pulled him in 2nd and 3rd gear and I really thought he should of pulled me in 3rd instead and I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience
    2004 WRX Black,K&N Air filter,Turbo XS utec,3" Turbo XS turbo back stainless exhaust,Turbo XS uppipe,VF-39 Turbo Perrin BOV, DC racing 550 Injectors ,Walboro fuel pump, NGK iridium spark plugs ,Defi Boost and EGT Gauges,( 280 awhp SAE and 270 awtq SAE ).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sht
    if they are stock you should be able to beat them most of the time. many are modded to hell and you dont have a chance.
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

stock = you can eat them all day

modded = no f*cking chance
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Registered User Weeeeeeeeeeeeee's Avatar
    Originally posted by sht
    if they are stock you should be able to beat them most of the time. many are modded to hell and you dont have a chance.

*bing bing bing* an acquaintance of mine has one pushing 600 whp conservatively.
    My Mods
    Dyno 12/18/04: 201 WHP / 198 WTQ

very easy and cheap to mod??

maybe id want to buy one already modded and just mess around with it as a beater
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Depends how well kept the 5.0 is...my buddy runs 13.6's on good tires and a cat back...plus there are alot of "stock" 5.0s running low 13's...but then that begs the question what stock is to a Mustang guy.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I Support ClubWRX
    Finding a 100% stock mustang is like trying to find a 21 year old virgin in new york. With basic bolt on's in a 5 speed mustang mid high 13's are not hard to find with a good driver and traction.

The kicker is it's very easy to push these cars low into the 12's with very few dollars. Out of the whole you should get him but on a roll I would have to place a bet on him...302 dont have the ls1 top end power but they arent a push over either.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Are you sure it wasn't a 4 cyl with 5.0 badges???

They did make these terribly slow 4 cyl during some of those years. I would not be surprised if some jackass glued on some 5.0 badges to impress the minors he picks up on.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Originally posted by ej20fan
    Are you sure it wasn't a 4 cyl with 5.0 badges???

They did make these terribly slow 4 cyl during some of those years. I would not be surprised if some jackass glued on some 5.0 badges to impress the minors he picks up on.
    The 4 cylinders run 19 seconds at best...it could have just been a beat up 5.0...I beat on most of them around here, but every so often you get a healthy/well kept one and its trouble.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I played with about an '89 5.0 last week. We were at a stop light, turns green and we both pulled off slow with him a car ahead. He then punched it and i was ready still in 1st gear. I put about three cars on him by 50 mph. All i have right now is uppipe, cat back from my turbo xs turbo back (not installed), and boost controller on 15.5 psi in forth gear. He may have given up somewhere along the way, but he didn't come near me again. I am pretty sure his WAS stock. It wasn't too loud. And yes I do know what a 302 sounds like so it wasn't a 4 cly.

Bone stock 5.0 mustangs typically ran 14.6ish for LX hatches, mid low 14's for the notchback (my favorite), or high 14's for the really gross GT's (most popular with the hispanic community)

if its auto, the times for all the cars are in the 15's, (horrible gearing, and ultra slow shifting)

dont get cocky out there... ask 13secwrx what a few thousand spent over at Trickflow can do to these cars...
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    Bone stock 5.0 mustangs typically ran 14.6ish for LX hatches, mid low 14's for the notchback (my favorite), or high 14's for the really gross GT's (most popular with the hispanic community)

if its auto, the times for all the cars are in the 15's, (horrible gearing, and ultra slow shifting)

dont get cocky out there... ask 13secwrx what a few thousand spent over at Trickflow can do to these cars...
    Forget about heads/cam Fox Bodies...my buddy has an aod running mid 13's with bolt ons (headers/exhaust/intake/pulleys/tb) Typical bolt on fox bodies should be able to dip well into the 12's so be careful when Mustang owners give you the "stock ______ " or "I only have ____ " cause it doesn't take a big mod list to get those things going that to their big roller rockers and cam (stock).
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady