Ran into a c5 vette
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ran into a c5 vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Pulled up to a light and I was right behind a yellow c5 coupe. It was a manual. When the ...

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar

Ran into a c5 vette

Pulled up to a light and I was right behind a yellow c5 coupe. It was a manual. When the light turned green, he took off hard and I went WOT right behind him. I stayed on his bumper, slightly gaining through 2nd and then when I shifted to 3rd I was able to pull around him. At the next light he said he was bone stock and kept mis-shifting. I doubt he would have kept up that well if he was missing shifts. Anyway, he was nice and it was cool knowing I can pull on a stock c5. His car was sweet looking, though. Oh, also I had my 200lb brother in my car and he was alone, so that was cool too. This was the first stock c5 I've run in the z28 and it was great to learn I can outrun them. They still look/handle better but I really don't think most owners realize they have the same engine/tranny.
    2003 SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thats hard to belive that you can pull on a c5, They have 400 hp/TQ

and are pretty damn light.

Corvette owners can't drive for ****, thats why I always see them doing like 40 mph in the slow lane. I dont understand why these 50 year old jackasses spend $50K on one of the fastest cars you can buy and them drive them like that, its really annoying.

Originally posted by roar1879

Wrong. The C5 has 345-350 hp, the Z06 has 405 hp.

stoplightwarrior is making similar whp #'s as a c5 vette, and i am willing to bet that stoplight is a better driver also. with his mods, his z28 should be good for 12.7-13.1 which is just out of a vettes reach, and if the vette guy isnt that great at driving and stoplight is... = stoplight pulling on c5 vette.

stoplight!!! where the hell have you been????? dont recall seeing a post of yours in a month or two. what happened to possibly getting an S4 or E55 amg?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

no, the z06 vette has a different setup and is much lighter...the c5s have the SAME engines as the z28s...their only advantage as far as speed is their weight. Also, see my dyno #s
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by DTR rex
    stoplightwarrior is making similar whp #'s as a c5 vette, and i am willing to bet that stoplight is a better driver also. with his mods, his z28 should be good for 12.7-13.1 which is just out of a vettes reach, and if the vette guy isnt that great at driving and stoplight is... = stoplight pulling on c5 vette.

stoplight!!! where the hell have you been????? dont recall seeing a post of yours in a month or two. what happened to possibly getting an S4 or E55 amg?
    stuff fell apart and I stopped posting on the net. I was doing a ton of other stuff. I still have the z28 and cobra and have done a few more mods to the cobra but nothing new to the z28 other than the lingenfelter intake manifold I bought but have sitting in my garage. I decided it was stupid to buy a car as expensive as an e55, as much as I wanted one. If anything, I'd get a used 540i or something comparable if I need it for business. I see you've smoked me in posts now
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    stuff fell apart and I stopped posting on the net. I was doing a ton of other stuff. I still have the z28 and cobra and have done a few more mods to the cobra but nothing new to the z28 other than the lingenfelter intake manifold I bought but have sitting in my garage. I decided it was stupid to buy a car as expensive as an e55, as much as I wanted one. If anything, I'd get a used 540i or something comparable if I need it for business. I see you've smoked me in posts now
    very nice! 540i 6speed is one hell of car. esp. with the M parts that are available for it. still considering it? i remember you said that you needed a more refined car for business touring purposes.

yeah, the funny part is that now that i have actually bought a wrx, i am not posting as much... been working to much to pay for my car
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by DTR rex
    very nice! 540i 6speed is one hell of car. esp. with the M parts that are available for it. still considering it? i remember you said that you needed a more refined car for business touring purposes.

yeah, the funny part is that now that i have actually bought a wrx, i am not posting as much... been working to much to pay for my car
    didnt even know you got one...congrats!

I've been using my mom's old lexus ES for business so I havent needed to get my own "serious" car...hence the cobra and z28...we'll see how long I can make it.

Keep pimpin that rex
    2003 SRT-4

I find that whenever I'm at a stoplight and pull up next to a Vette owner, let it be a Z06 or reg. C5, when we take off and I jump them 2-3cars out the hole, it pretty much intimidates them because they don't want to lose to a four door so they just keep givin' it gas.. and all they do is keep spinning and the run is over.

Oh wait, even from a roll I pull those mofo's regardless

The only thing that really gives me trouble is a bolt on Z06.. anything more I'll lose in 4th gear. If it's a bolt on C5 it's no problem.. with a cam, depends on the cam but with one that's streetable they usually pull me at the end of 4th.
    If anything's worth doing.. it's worth doing right.

Originally posted by Big Turkey
    I find that whenever I'm at a stoplight and pull up next to a Vette owner, let it be a Z06 or reg. C5, when we take off and I jump them 2-3cars out the hole, it pretty much intimidates them because they don't want to lose to a four door so they just keep givin' it gas.. and all they do is keep spinning and the run is over.

Oh wait, even from a roll I pull those mofo's regardless

The only thing that really gives me trouble is a bolt on Z06.. anything more I'll lose in 4th gear. If it's a bolt on C5 it's no problem.. with a cam, depends on the cam but with one that's streetable they usually pull me at the end of 4th.
    damn you must be WELL modded to hang with a z06 w/bolt ons at speed...I've witnessed 117mph traps out of em BONE stock. What are your mods? Stage 4 and then some?
    2003 SRT-4

I got romped on hard by one of the coolest old guys Ive ever met...

Then we drove above the speed limit from exit 10 on the mass pike to Albany, NY

he was in a Z06, it was on the highway. I might've been able to keep up for the first 400ft if it were from a dig

I love F-Bodies
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

Most of the C5 owners around here that I hang out with are pretty cool but occasionaly we will run into an idiot at the hang out spot.

Last night I was hanging with some friends with cammed/heads/bolt on f bodies (2 LS1's and 1 LT1) when two younger dudes in a red C5 rolled up. We were the only domestic guys in the parking lot so they rolled up to us.

"You guys know who has the fastest car out here?"

My buddy answered that he probably was (01 WS6 traps 119). The guy asks if he thinks he could take his Vette. It was bone stock, by the way. When Jay replied that he could the guy told him he had the 350 corvette engine and that he has never lost to a TransAm. We laughed so hard, the guy left.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

I was on LS1tech.com the other day and seen a new best out of a bone stock Z06 of a 11.7. Takes a pretty heavily modified anything to hang with that.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

Originally posted by Neversatisfied
    I was on LS1tech.com the other day and seen a new best out of a bone stock Z06 of a 11.7. Takes a pretty heavily modified anything to hang with that.
    11.60s on ET Streets, 11.90s on bone stock tires. This is what a guy here in town named J-rod ran in his bone stock vette. But we're talking about a badass driver. He can drive like no other.. the guy launches like an import.. you can hear him bounce off the limiter before the vette takes off.

I'm STG4 with FP Green. I've ran 2 Z06's from a roll and one had a cam.. but he had a big passenger and 200lbs of stereo equipment in the trunk. Whoever got the jump would win. I have vid's.. I'll get them up as soon as I can. The other one was stock and I pulled him hard in 4th gear. He shut it down as soon as I was pulling.

If he's a ****ty Z06 driver then it's really crappy. I witness someone run a 13.1 @ 110mph the same day I saw J-rod drive a heads/cam Z06 to a 10.6 @ 128mph.
    If anything's worth doing.. it's worth doing right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast