Anyone know what a stock e46 M3 dynos at wheels? race - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Anyone know what a stock e46 M3 dynos at wheels? race within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; you can run decent into the 12's with your setup, and im guessing the m3 with the dinan exhaust can ...

you can run decent into the 12's with your setup, and im guessing the m3 with the dinan exhaust can get no better than 13.0, and thats if hes lucky. if your on the street you own him off a dig. from a roll he will slowly walk you a car or two, and the faster you go the more he walks. i assume your using a DTS dyno or the like. also i would imagine the bmw might also be chipped and just not telling you. i wouldnt lay any money down on this one.
    ...oh and good luck
    Last edited by POLAR; 07-23-2004 at 01:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yep the higher up from a roll you start the more you'll get left back....

but i re-phrase what i said previously....

if youlaunch hard form a dead dig he'll have lots of catchin up to do...i saw you TQ figures and are they accurate?

Tailspin: race from a dig and a roll and have someone put it on video. I think you'll have a chance even from a roll. If he wins, it'll still be good fun.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

From what I've heard, E46 M3's need to have an adapter in order to dyno them. Something about the front wheels being different speeds than the rears, and causing the computer to pull timing... Might be something else, but you can't just put them on the dyno and expect it to perform correctly.

Trap speeds at the track would give a more accurate estimation of how the two cars would compare from a roll. Dyno's are best used for tuning purposes and comparisons on the same car before and after modifications, IMO.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

From a dig....You will probably get him by a car or so.
    From a roll....I'm gonna go with M. Topend like a mofo in those bimmers. I've seen a couple of them run on the highway and that's what they did.....ran away from the other car extremely fast
    07 Mercedes-Benz E350
    Saks Fifth Ave Edition

04 WRX VF34+TMIC SOLD
    12.62@108 1.7 60'
    295whp & 302tq on Mustang Dyno
    MODS

W/your whp and your weight advantage I would say you will win. I've said it before in a wrx w/250whp I pulled an e46 so w/your whp and if you are a good/quick shifter you should win. Just dont do over 140mph ...

In my experiences you will win, they usually dyno around 275whp and they are hard to dyno...the exhaust maybe added 10whp if that...do it from a roll...a dig will be no fun if hes not an excellent driver.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

sorry for the hijack..but i look your new sig 13secwrx
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Stank you very much...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Originally posted by Tailspin
    Bros... I have a STI not wrx.. I dynod 275 at wheels and running 19.2 psi of boost. U sure I wont take him? also running 365 lbs or tourque now.
    wait a minute...... you dyno'd your STI at 275whp but with 365lbs tq???
    so your making about a 100 more torque over hp in an sti?

anyways........ its not all about whp buddy... other factors like weight, gearing, launch advantage etc.. come into play.
    from a dig i think you will rip him by a couple cars if you can drive... from a roll..... dont expect much. if you start at a lower gear you have a good chance to pull on him, but if you fairly fast... i think he will start to own you. bmw top end gearing and engines top end peformance > than that of STI's

but your mods help your case
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Let us know what happen after you race ok.

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    From what I've heard, E46 M3's need to have an adapter in order to dyno them. Something about the front wheels being different speeds than the rears, and causing the computer to pull timing... Might be something else, but you can't just put them on the dyno and expect it to perform correctly.
    I saw this happen at a dyno day. There were a bunch of WRXs, Audis, and M3s. The M3 owners were acting like their poo didn't stink, waiting their turn on the dyno. When it came, they couldn't get past 250 whp before the car shut down. They removed fuses, called the BMW hotline, to no avail. This was good for me, because nobody ended up having more hp than me that day.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

i think a 240-260 whp wrx is enough 2 take a m3 off a roll(stock m3)...even if m3's do dyno at about 275..which sounds about right....remember how much heavier m3 is.....and yes its a monster top end etc etc..but its not that much of a monster...a vette would rip apart a m3 on highway stock on stock..you guys give it 2 much credit...if your sti truly does dyno at 275 whp than no matter what speeds you go you should win....i just hope it really does dyno @ 275 and over 300 torque like u said...i hope it wasnt some hp happy dyno or something..if your numbers are right...of course you did say he has dinan chip and exhaust...so he should be near 290whp...but still your 275 should take his 290.....especially since you have so much more torque and a lighter car.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Booo for bench racing... best way to find out is go out and do it!! I personally think you have a GREAT chance from a dig but from a roll... my bro-in-law has one and that thing can FLY on the highway. I'm slightly slower than a stock sti too...

yea, im sure you will atleast run even with him from a roll, maybe pull a car down low. but he might want whats his at about 120 when your turbo is starting to fade.

the highest ive seen is 290 wheel hp for the E46 M3 SMG
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12