My WRX vs SR20ed S13

This is a discussion on My WRX vs SR20ed S13 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Tonight I raced my friend's SR20 swapped S13 240SX. As far as I can remember he has an intake, FMIC, ...

My WRX vs SR20ed S13

Tonight I raced my friend's SR20 swapped S13 240SX. As far as I can remember he has an intake, FMIC, exhaust, BOV, boost controller, and maybe an SAFC now. His interior is also stripped.

We raced from a roll and were going to get one from a stop but the light turned green just as we stopped. We raced from 50-100. We were both head to head until about 70 and between 70 and 80 I gained about a foot or two. After 80 I just walked away from him. By 100 I was probably 6 or more feet in front of him.
    Soon I'll get him from a stoplight and I'll write a followup.

I've got a stage 4 WRX 4EAT with an APS TMIC, and a VF29 turbo
    Last edited by GTScoob; 07-21-2004 at 01:04 AM.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice... I love SR20DET S13's. Especially the '89's.

[hijack]
    I got romped by a friends S14 240 with a redtop SR20DET, full turbo back 3"exhaust, SAFC, BOV, front mount, cams, and a boost controller.

at 7lbs he's dead even with me.

at 10lbs he pulls slowly

at 12 lbs Ive got absolutely no chance.

His has a full interior.
    [/hijack]
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

And to think on any surface other than dirt or snow, chances are he'll outhandle you, too.

I wanted a 92 S13 coupe with a redtop SR20... but decided I needed a reliable car, too.

Oh, good race!
    Chris

1999 Integra LS

AIM: Aracheon

he also has a lightweight flywheel and an upgraded clutch. I need to race my friend with an RB25 swapped S14 now before he gets his turbo upgraded.

jeb
    Most SR20DET S13s are slow. People only have like 6k to spend and the do an engine swap to a smaller engine. It's just the popular switch to make. They would be much better off if they put the 6k in a turbo and supporting mods for the ka24. My .02
    2002 Silver WRX

The KA24 will never be as good as an SR20 even with a turbo. The swap wouldnt be as popular if it wasnt faster. Stock KA vs stock SR20 is pretty close but there is just so much more aftermarket for SR20DETs. The main thing is that the swapped (SR20 as well as RB25) 240s are never much of drag cars. Even with all that power they still barely break into the 13s. The KA motor is a bad motor for a sports car: it was pulled out of a Nissan truck and has similar characteristics (low HP, low redline, gobs of torque, slow revving, etc). It isnt like the SRT-4 2.4 liter engine, it isnt really built to stand up to forced induction from the factory. Most people who want a fast 240 look and see that tearing down the KA24 and rebuilding it for forced induction is more costly than just swapping in an SR20 or RB25 and some boltons. Plus it's JDM yo!!

Jeb, if you're coming to the SELOC meet this sunday my friend may bring his RB25 swapped 240, and my friend Jim who I raced here may show up too with his car.
    Last edited by GTScoob; 07-21-2004 at 10:38 AM.

jeb
    I agree with you scoob, and mabey I can get a ride in your friends this weekend. I was just saying if you only have 5k, like many of the people that do the swap, your not going to end up with that fast of a car. The sr20det is a much better engine though if you plan on upgrading past that. BTW we hijacked this thread
    2002 Silver WRX

hey its my thread so we can hijack all we want. I'm sure they'll give you a ride if they each bring their cars up. Both guys (S13 SR20 and S14 RB25) are looking at upgrading their turbos soon so we'll see what happens next.

I think people go with the SR20 instead of the Rb25 because of the weight difference since most 240's are built for handling rather than drag racing. At least I know thats why my friend did it. He did, however, say that the next car he does will be a 240 with an RB25.

Oh, and the swap cost him 4000 bucks, and it could've been done for cheaper if he didn't get a massive intercooler.

and one of the car before the SRswap, carbon fiber hood, and front bumper

KA24's...

yah.
    Last edited by skyphix; 07-21-2004 at 03:01 PM.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

My friend's RB25 swap cost him a little less than your friends. The only cons with it is the extra weight which some people say isnt noticeable unless you are a pro racer and the issues with mounting front strut bars/sway bars/body kits, etc.